Over-the-counter Medicine Cannot Kill Super Lice

Discussion in 'News - Breaking News & Political Forum' started by Leeda.the.Paladin, Mar 3, 2016.

1. PuddingPop

PuddingPop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is what I was wondering. I know an old school treatment is using kerosene to treat lice. They would saturate the hair with it to kill the lice so I'm assuming any heavy oil would work, even for super lice.

Femmefatal1981 likes this.
  2. justNikki

justNikki Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    That should solve all the problems right there.

Goombay_Summer, Shula, Mija and 6 others like this.
  3. Kalani

Kalani Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    :eek: :cry3: :cry3:

Rocky91, Shula, tiffers and 4 others like this.
  4. creolebombshell

creolebombshell Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    That is the truth right there . I remember when taking my youngest to the dermatologist for her ecezma and discussing with the dr, a white man, what I could do to make sure my kids didn't get lice. He explained that the product we put in our hair tend to make our hair resistant to getting lice. He finished it off as whatever we are doing just keep on doing.......I was obsessed with not getting lice so much that when my kids were in pre k and elementary I wouldn't let them in my room or on my bed till the end of the school week when I washed their hair. It got to a point where my oldest said there was a girl in her class who had lice and she didn't tell me till years later because I was so annoying with it:badgirl:

Goombay_Summer, Shula, Mija and 4 others like this.
  5. Weezy Jefferson

Weezy Jefferson Lil' Mama apologist

Blog Posts:
    From what I've read about head lice, it doesn't have anything to do with cleanliness or products used, but rather that the claws of the type of louse most common in the US are more adapted to grip the shaft of straight/straighter hair than kinkier hair.

From the CDC:
    "In the United States, infestation with head lice is much less common among African-Americans than among persons of other races, possibly because the claws of the of the head louse found most frequently in the United States are better adapted for grasping the shape and width of the hair shaft of other races."

From UC Davis:
    "Head lice found in the United States prefer hair that is round in cross section. Hair that is ovoid in cross section, such as the extremely curly hair of African Americans, is not as attractive to lice that are adapted to round hair shafts. While head lice infestations are common in Africa, as in all continents, African head lice have claws especially adapted for grasping oval hair shafts. The African variety of head lice is not common in North America and consequently African Americans are much less susceptible to infestations, but they can get head lice."

And a director of a medical entymology center says this about the common belief that lice prefer clean hair:
    "The clean-hair myth was created in the 1970s to convince middle-class parents that it was not an issue only associated with poorer children."

Apparently in the 50s-70s, the public associated lice with poor, dirty children who were neglected by their parents. The classist aspect is pretty interesting, actually. Dirty, shameful, indicative of bad parenting and upbringing when "they" get it. But an unwelcome annoyance now that it's something for "everyone," with "everyone" being middle/upper middle-class whites. Imagine how they would frame it if the type of lice adapted to African hair were most common in the US and not the type adapted to straight hair.

Looking this up and seeing pictures is making me itch. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  6. PretteePlease

PretteePlease #fakeworkouts

Blog Posts:
    WHY DID YOU GIVE ME THIS VISUAL

Rocky91, Shula, IslandMummy and 7 others like this.
  7. PuddingPop

PuddingPop Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    No Ma'am! . That would be the day I would consider surrendering my license. I can not even imagine.

8. brg240

brg240 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    How do lice fair worth relaxers bc I'd just try that tbh

Hmm but I see that would just make it attractive to lice

Well w/e this literally no worry of mine

Crackers Phinn likes this.
  9. luckiestdestiny

luckiestdestiny Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    wait a minute. You had a choice. Shave her head? Why not just treat it?

10. BillsBackerz67

BillsBackerz67 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    No there was not a choice. If you are not aggressive you expose other patients and staff taking care of her. There was no treating that. It needed to be shaved off. It's like asking why not spray Raid when ur home is infested with millions of roaches. Raid ain't cutting it. Her scalp had deep sores, bite marks, and puss seeping out after all her hair was removed.

11. luckiestdestiny

luckiestdestiny Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    EWWW . Okay then :look:

12. bubbles12345

bubbles12345 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Let me rephrase the question.

Can black people with natural 4b/4c hair get lice? :look:

13. LunadeMiel

LunadeMiel Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    I'm going to buy a hotcomb for dds hair this afternoon. Her prek is all mini wypipo. I refuse :nono:

FlowerHair likes this.
  14. LeftRightRepeat

LeftRightRepeat Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Yup. They prefer straighter hair but they're opportunistic and can adapt to climbing up that curly hair if they have to.

15. bubbles12345

bubbles12345 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    You sure this applies to tightly coiled hair too? I can barely get a comb through my hair on a good day and I have like 100% shrinkage. I don't see how lice can climb it. :lol:

16. LeftRightRepeat

LeftRightRepeat Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in a majority black country and from time to time there would be lice outbreaks. Maybe the lice had no choice as there's not a whole lot of straight hair to choose from...but i guarantee that the majority of the kids were type 4 of some sort.

Maybe in the US because they have more type 1,2 and 3 hair to choose from, the type 4s won't get it as easily.

17. BillsBackerz67

Blog Posts:
    They have claws girl ur not immune. The black patient I took care had 4z hair.

18. Crackers Phinn

Crackers Phinn Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

Blog Posts:
    Between a hot comb and relaxer, you would think that lice ain't got a chance. It seems like natural hair would put you more at risk.

I knew from a previous thread that white folks lice couldn't hold on to type 4 hair. I get a mental picture of some random lice bug getting lost in type 4 hair looking around like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Sosa

Sosa Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    My y-boss just got called to her daughter's school to pick her up cuz she has lice.:perplexed:
    I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow. Can these things jump? Am I good as long as I don't come in close contact with boss?

20. meka72

meka72 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I usually like when you provide real world examples. Not this time though. Lol.

21. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I read that and wanted to shave all of *my* hair off.

22. BillsBackerz67

Blog Posts:
    :imsorry:
    It was disgusting....and the real F'ed up part is that's nothing compared to some of the other nasty things I've witnessed. That lice situation is about a 3 out of 10 on "the most disgusting things I've ever saw at my job" scale. Smh

23. BillsBackerz67

Blog Posts:
    I broke out in flaming hives from looking at her. I had to call and beg the pharmacy to send me Claritin to make my skin calm down.

Rocky91, Rina88, Theresamonet and 8 others like this.
  24. VimiJn

VimiJn Let the truth set you free!

Blog Posts:
    Yes. They do.

25. Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold Rocking the Casbah

Blog Posts:
    I got lice in elementary school and I had dirty hair. It wasn't washed much because I feared the water getting on my face. It sent me into hysterics when it happened.
    I recall this girl named Julieth lol who sat near of me had a lot of white bits in her hair. I always though I got it from her and that maybe those white bits were nits :barf:. I remember being paranoid that she somehow deliberately gave me lice. She was kind of disturbed as I recall. She was overweight and I was underweight and she called me fat lol.
    Anyway, the itching was so bad I remember crying about it one day :lol:
    And even after thorough combing with RIT you'll never get every last nit out. They're attached to the hair shafts with some kind of glue :shudders:
    My brother got the lice from me and he has much curlier hair than I do.

26. Femmefatal1981

Femmefatal1981 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Albums:
    The more populated states

27. Leeda.the.Paladin

Leeda.the.Paladin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Mutant 'Super Lice' Outbreak Has Now Spread to Nearly Every State

Mutant 'Super Lice' Outbreak Has Now Spread to Nearly Every State

[​IMG]
    Country Living
    August 4, 2016
    [​IMG]

From Country Living

Back to school season is upon us, which means it’s time for new school supplies, first day of school pictures, and that dreaded four-letter word: lice. But this year, it’s not just exposure to regular lice that parents have to worry about: There’s now a treatment resistant “super lice” that’s spreading across the United States.

A whopping 42 out of 48 states tested are overrun by this so-called super lice, according to a study published in the Journal of Medical Entomology. In these 42 states, according to NBC’s Today show, 100 percent of the lice tested were resistant to over-the-counter treatments.

In six other states - New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Oregon, New Mexico, and North Dakota - some, but not all, the lice tested were resistant to over-the-counter treatments.

Alaska and West Virginia were not part of the study.

[​IMG]
    The problem, according to the Today show, is that lice have mutated, making it more difficult for the chemicals in over-the-counter treatments to lock on to the lice and eliminate it.

Last August, a study made waves when it found that at least 25 states had developed treatment resistant lice. Kyong Sup Yoon, Ph.D., who worked on that study and this latest one, suggests that the only way to effectively treat these lice are with different chemicals, ones that are typically available through a prescription.

“If you use a chemical over and over, these little creatures will eventually develop resistance,” Yoon said last year. “So we have to think before we use a treatment. The good news is head lice don’t carry disease. They’re more a nuisance than anything else.”

Dr. Robin Gehris, the chief of pediatric dermatology at the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburg, told Today that if your child has head lice, it is more likely resistance lice than not. Gheris recommends that parents try to get rid of the infection by using over-the-counter treatment twice.

“Treat the entire head and leave it on for a few hours and then repeat a week later,” she told Today. “If you still see things moving after the second treatment it’s time to call the doctor.”

There are countless home remedies to treat lice, including putting mayonnaise, olive oil, and lotion on the scalp, but Dr. Gehris cannot guarantee their effectiveness.

To parents gearing up to send their kids back to school, keep the suggested plan of action in mind: use over the counter treatment twice, and if the problem persists, pay a visit to your doctor for a prescription treatment.

28. aviddiva77

aviddiva77 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I hate yall sometimes. Just couldn't let me live with the whole, "Black people don't get lice because of the oils we use" could you?

29. Makenzie

Makenzie Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Bed bug infestation and now super lice. :eek:

30. sharifeh

sharifeh Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I thought it was our hair texture that made us less likely to get lice not products

Maybe the lice in the US is more adapted to straight hair
    I wonder if lice in a Black Country would be adapted to our hair ? Hmm