Overconditioning -- Has this happened to you?

pinkpanda_99

Recently I purchased the Hair Fitness Shampoo and Conditioning System from Vitamin Shoppe. For some odd reason, the products made my hair too soft (no tensile strength or elasticity)./images/graemlins/huh.gif My strands appeared to be thinner, and when my hair dried there was no body at all. When I used my old products the following week, my hair returned to it's normal relaxed state (soft, but fuller with more body). The products actually have a lot of good ingredients in them, but I guess they are not for me. Has this happened to anyone else? "If it isn't broke -- don't fix it!" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hairfanatic

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Has this happened to anyone else? "If it isn't broke -- don't fix it!"

[/ QUOTE ]

It's never happened to me, but I definately agree with your statement about trying to fix something that isn't broke. I have to keep reminding myself of this when I want to try new products. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks for the product review.

Lindy

It sure has happened to me... read my post "Product Review - TOO soft!!!" I had the exact same experience with a product called Kerastase Masquintense. Since it was very expensive, I'm not going to write it off yet... I'm going to try using it without heat next time and see how that goes... Funny how hair can behave and look so different depending on what product you use on it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tracy

It has actually Pink - and now that I know that it's possible I use it to my advantage. I make a mental (and sometimes an actual) note of the conditioners that have this effect on my hair and when it's feeling hard or brittle I use one and it works wonders. It adds that pliablity that I need and because my hair is already a little too dry and hard, it counteracts that and stikes just the right balance. Conversely, when my hair lacks that tensile strength etc. that you mentioned I hit a creamy protein conditioner once or twice and I'mas good as new....

Of course if you have a conditioner that routinely gives you great results then that is certainly preferable. My hair tends to need me to help it strike a balance pretty regularly, so I switch up conditioners often, according to what it's "asking" for, as evidenced by how it feels.

Jade21

Hey, Pink!!

Mmm...I'm wondering if you hair does not like decyl polyglucose, but I don't know about the conditioner because I've never tried it. I've gotten mail from people saying that the decyl polyglucose sort of left their hair too soft.

With that shampoo, it left my hair incredibly hard /images/graemlins/mad.gif I used it once and tossed it.

For me, overconditioning has meant "lank, greasy" hair. Only product which eventually did that was Aveda's Curessence.

Nice to see you around /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Much Love,

Jade

pinkpanda_99

I agree with your comments 100% Amor. When my hair dislikes a particular hair product, I find that by following up with a creamy conditioner, my hair problems are solved. Thanks for replying girl! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pinkpanda_99

Hey Jade! It could very well be the decyl polyglucose. I'm finding that my hair has become very finicky these days and will not accept several of the conditioning agents found in many hair products. This always brings me back to my first loves. As far as the Hair Fitness conditioner is concerned, if the shampoo left your hair hard, the conditioner would have as well. The two are identical in ingredients; maybe one subtle difference I think. Like you, I tossed the products too -- to hubby! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rayne

I think I'm going through that now. My hair isn't limp (but then again, I haven't worn it down in a while so I'm not sure) but it feels really mushy when wet and it tangles very easily. I want to use a protein conditioner by itself, but I have a fear of NOT using a moisturizing conditioner

ComfortablyNumb

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was really mad at the time and so I left conditioner in my hair all night and in the morning before I rinsed it out I was combing my fingers through it and my hair was so weak it broke wherever I touched it almost like the hair was dissolving. But I think that's because I have very fine hair.

JazzAngel

When I discovered that protein conditioners can really make the difference in my hair growth journey I went a bit crazy last month. Not only did I over do it with henna treatments I then added an ApHogee treatment on top of that. WOOOH! Knowing what I know not I feel a bit ashamed of my ignorance. Well needless to say my hair broke horribly.

I still did not learn how damaging protein can be to the hair if not followed up by a moisturising conditioner. Last week I did a treatment with a rip avocado. I must say that this is a wonderful treatment, if you use a moisturising conditioner. But, again slow learner that I am I repeated the avocado process exactly one week later and yes I lost more hair.

Damn I am sooo slow to learn sometimes. Well in all honestly I did not realize that the avocado was a strengthening treatment. Somehow I thought it was more for moisture.