OVERPROCESSED & UNDERPROCESSED ???

Lotus

My little cousin has worn braids for the past 3 years. She's now coming out of her tom-boys stage and wants to wear her hair straight. Her mom permed it with Elucence Regular about 2 weeks ago. Results.. not bone straight, but straight enough. Anyways my cousins aunt (our aunt) has been taking her to the beauty shop... and the beautician told my aunt that my cousins hair is overprocessed and underprocessed (at the same time) and advised she switched to Olive oil No-Lye relaxer. Well now..my cousin is fed up (a little more care than I think she expected) and wants braids back.

I advised her mom to make her wait it out.. because her hair is not being cared for in the braids... its breaking off... so she needs healthy hair and to learn to take care of it... while she's young. She's had braids for 3 years and her hair is at her neck.... something, to me is wrong. I dont think she moisturizes (w/water enough)... but I'm not there everyday... so I dont know. But what I do know is braid does not mean you dont have to take care of your hair... it will still break off while braided.

Anyways... (Im ranting)... is it possible for a person's hair to be overprocessed and underprocessed at the same time? Just doesnt make sense to me.

**eta** I asked her mom what does her hair look like wet... she says it curls up... to me.. that sound underprocessed... What do yall think?

shunta

Hmm... well I think that it is a possibility for her to be both underprocessed and overprocessed. The Elucence relaxer was lye, right? Ive heard of this happening with Elasta QP relaxers as well, and I know that Elucence is made by that same company. Anyways, maybe she should take the stylist's advice and try the olive oil relaxer. Alot of ladies here seem to like it. Good luck to your cousin!:)

lonei

shunta said:
Hmm... well I think that it is a possibility for her to be both underprocessed and overprocessed. The Elucence relaxer was lye, right? Ive heard of this happening with Elasta QP relaxers as well, and I know that Elucence is made by that same company. Anyways, maybe she should take the stylist's advice and try the olive oil relaxer. Alot of ladies here seem to like it. Good luck to your cousin!:)

I too recommend ORS Olive Oil, it will make it bone straight and is a lot healthier than alot of other relaxers I've tried.

beyondcute

Yep. My hair was both. Also I have different hair types so some part would get really straight while other would just loosen up into a deep wave while other parts wouldnt process at all. In the end I had underprocess, processed, and over processed hair. Frizz, fuzz and breakage! What fun! :nono:

Healthb4Length

THis happened to me when I used my last relaxer (Arosci) that stuff was straight garbage. The front of my hair was straight, the middle didn't take at all and the back was curly. As stated before that lead to alot of breakage! I had to do a corrective with my current relaxer, now my hair is straight in the front but the texture overall is much more uniform.

Lotus

Ok.. makes sense now. I didnt even think about the different textures... her hair is tightly coiled (non-relaxed).

I feel better... Thanks! (I'll let my aunt know what you guys said).