Paging All Natural Heads

Premierepearl08

I have layers in my hair and have been attempting to grow them out. My hair tends to grow in layers, with the back growing the fastest and the crown growing the slowest. When I trim it, I still have to trim the split ends off of the layers so it feels like I am just spinning my wheels. How in the world do I get the stuff all one length?!

miss_brown

The only way to grow out layers without doing a big chop (i.e. waiting until you're comfortable with the shortest length and cutting everything to that point) is to keep up the gradual trims, but continuously trim more off the faster growing parts so that the top can catch up.

The upside is that it will eventually all even up.

The downside is that you will lose length in the back in the process.

I have the same issue (back grows much faster than top), but I like layers and I like length so I don't see myself cutting anytime soon.
I also find that layers give my natural do's (twists or twist-outs) better shape and my pressed hair more body.

Ipanema

I agree that you would have to do a big chop & sacrifice a few inches. I had a similar problem the last time I went natural, but I didn't want to cut it. I just parted my hair across the back (earlobe to earlobe), put that part into one braid, and pinned the braid up under the rest of the hair. In my case, it looked like a bob (especially with the two-strand twists). Maybe you can experiment with different illusions as an alternative to cutting.

Zoe

Yes Im going through the same thing...

I had my hair pressed and the chick that did it chopped my hair.. my hair in the back was past my shoulders but once I got out the chair its barely touching my shoulders...

Im so disgusted..Im gonna wash my hair tomorrow...I cant see myself pressing it anytime soon..it has to be longer than this

Faith

You can keep it in protective styles till you get to a specific goal then even it out then go on from there, etc. I kept trying to even my hair out and started noticing I was not going past the top of my bra strap so I stopped evening it out and let it grow uneven till it most of the bottom layers got past the end of my brastrap then I evened it out. I'm now about 1" past end of brastrap and the back is all even for now. But knowing my hair it is growing out uneven again but I will not even it out till it grows about another 2-3.5". My hair is in layers and I think always will be but at least the layers in the back will be all gone. So, set goals and when you hit each goal then even and go from there. I'm not sure if you will ever get the WHOLE head even but at least the back half will be even and you can have some layers up front. I hope that made sense

Zoe

Ok..I washed my hair after having it pressed and I have some straight parts on my left side of my hair...

How the hell did this happen? Will it go away...I dont know what to do...I have my hair twisted and I have those straight parts behind my ears...how long will it be straight.. heck I wish it would have been like this when I had a perm..

Zoe

what?

**clutchin pearls**

It took me a year to get this length..Ive been wearing braids and weaves for over a year...I cant believe this...

Nonie

Zoe, look for that thread on improving elasticity. There are people who get permanent damage from pressing, while others usually get that curls back after several washes. Perhaps that thread on elasticity might give you a ideas on things you can do that might help your hair recover, if it isn't too late.

NubianAngel

I have a natural shag thing going
I want to grow my hair a little longer before I even it out. I figure in another year, I should have a serious head of EVEN hair

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Zoe said:
Ok..I washed my hair after having it pressed and I have some straight parts on my left side of my hair...

How the hell did this happen? Will it go away...I dont know what to do...I have my hair twisted and I have those straight parts behind my ears...how long will it be straight.. heck I wish it would have been like this when I had a perm..

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a member by the name of Valleygirl with the most beautiful curls and the same thing happened to her. Always use a heat protectant when using any king of heat on your natural tresses. Valleygirl recommended New Image Damage Free Leave In Conditioner. There's a special ingredient "phytantriol" that specically protects your hair from heat damage. I think Thermasilk products may have this ingredient but I'm not sure. hth

Hey Y'all, where's Valleygirl?

Zoe

yeah.. when my hair was pressed it was to my neck..this was after the trick cut it since it was past my shoulders...

But I'll def. search the board for some acidic conditioners..maybe that will help...

Zoe

My hair was pressed by "professinals" so the tramp should have protected my hair from damage..lawd knows I paid her enough for it

I should have just let my momma do it..my sister is 17 never had a perm and her hair is down her back...her hair always reverts back once its wet...I press my hair once and gotta go through drama...

Excuse my rambling..but im mad that If I cut my hair im going back to braids for a good while..but i wanted to give my scalp some rest..
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Zoe said:

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a member by the name of Valleygirl with the most beautiful curls and the same thing happened to her. Always use a heat protectant when using any king of heat on your natural tresses. Valleygirl recommended New Image Damage Free Leave In Conditioner. There's a special ingredient "phytantriol" that specically protects your hair from heat damage. I think Thermasilk products may have this ingredient but I'm not sure. hth

Hey Y'all, where's Valleygirl?

[/ QUOTE ]