paging lye vs no-lye experts

PraiseGod

I recently got my hair relaxed by a new hairdresser. My old hair dresser has moved out of state and used a no-lye relaxer on my hair. The new lady I went to showed me a picture of a strand of hair that was relaxed with lye vs a no-lye relaxer out of Barry Fletcher's book. She went on to say that lye relaxers are more healthy for the hair and result in significantly less shedding and smoother hair cuticles. I listened to what she had to say and pretty much felt as though I had no choice but to let her use a lye relaxer on my hair. I told her I used Afrim over the phone. She did not tell me that she did not carry Affirm or any no-lye relaxer until after she had based my scalp and had the lye relaxer in hand ready for application. If I decide to go back to using a no-lye relaxer do you think it will damage my hair? All of you lye and no-lye experts please help a sister out:)

model_chick717

Hey don't fret--from what I know, your stylist is right. From my own experience, when I use to relax with no-lye, my hair was always a bit dry and alittle brittle. My hair, since relaxing/texturizing with lye relaxers, is silker, softer and shinier. From what I've read, no-lye relaxers cause cam calcium build-up on your hair which dries it out.

model_chick717

Hey don't fret--from what I know, your stylist is right. From my own experience, when I use to relax with no-lye, my hair was always a bit dry and alittle brittle. My hair, since relaxing/texturizing with lye relaxers, is silker, softer and shinier. From what I've read, no-lye relaxers cause can calcium build-up on your hair which dries it out.