Paging TRACY

BlkMane

Hi, girl! Thanks for replying to my question about he color. What I did is pull a few strands thru a highlighting cap and I colored some strands the Cocoa Brown, some the Light Golden Brown and some a mixture. (I used very thin strands, nothing drastic and not a lot)

Cocoa Brown = Very close to natural color, only slightly noticiable, maybe moreso in sunlight?

Light Golden Brown= The lightest, a reddish, brown.

Mixture= Came out darker...dark, dark brown or reddish, dark brown, I think.

I had used the Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent (in plastic bottle) Light Ash Brown (to tone some of my ends that are lighter than my hair due to old color. I applied it a few weeks back. I've washed my hair several times since then.

BTW, I applied Adore in Clear on my hair after experimenting with the highlights (which I did this past weekend). My hair looked very "rich" afterwards.

I also have the Lightest Blonde at home that you recommended, but haven't used it and I have a lot of the colors mentioned above left if you would like to recommend that I do any particular "experiments." /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tracy

Hi ma,

Okay here's what I think you should do based on what you did. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The lightest blond T&T on me came out a sandy blondish color color. Sandy brownish in places. But I had black dye and rinse and all other manner of headaches in my hair to consider. Doesn't sound like you have that. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif but with your hair being naturally a medium to deep brown, you probably lifted your hair as much as is possible with the colors you chose. Sounds like it actually came out exactly the shade I would have expected it to if I were choosing color for my hair. So you need to go a little lighter.

I would say do this. You'll need to take a trip to the beauty supply and get the following things....oh and on this tip - DON'T use any permanent color you might have left over that was actually mixed with the developer. It's no good anymore. You probably know - that but I just wanted to be safe. /images/graemlins/cool.gif So here's what you'll need:

1. A product called Metalex by Clairol. This step is optional - but will be a good one for doing two things 1. removing any hint of semipermanent color you may have left in your hair just in case they might affect your results and 2. equalize the porosity of your hair for coloring later. That means you'll get a more even result throughout the strand. You won't do this the same day as your coloring project. Do it a week before. It doesn't have any bleach or anything like it. It's mostly oil and some polymers that bind to the color on the cuticle and lift it from the hair. Try to avoid your scalp with this one. It might be a little irritated if you don't. Mine was. Just a little - nothing to worry about if you avoid the scalp. Again - you can skip this step if you really feel your washes have rid you of the semi-permanent color. The best way to tell is to check those colored ends you were trying to tone with the rinse. You won't get the porosity equalizing effect if you don't use it though - and with color on your ends you might want it....

2. Go with a mix of the T&T lightest blond you have and the Light Golden Brown. If you are afraid that will come out too light get the next blond down from the Lightest Blond shade and mix that with the LGB. Pull through your cap and do what you normally would putting in highlights. Finish with the Clear rinse from Adore for shine and that richness you mentioned. And then condition the mess out of it. Do a protein conditioner followed by a mositurizing one BEFORE you put the rinse in to seal in the effects of those products.

Make sure you use enough color too. With hair that is as dense and thick as yours it can sometimes "eat" the color and you won't notice it as much. Make sure the strands you want lighter are completely SATURATED with dye.

And condition, condtion, condition.....I think it'll be nice on you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BlkMane

Thank, Color Master! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will experiment again this weekend (test strands). I won't do my whole head until I get some Metalex. I think I have actually used that before (if was recommended to me as a CONDITIONER!) and it did strip all the semi-perm color in my hair at the time.

However, as per Shamboosie's book and the bottles, the colors I'm using have the following BASE COLORS:

Lightest Blond = Gold
Light Golden Brown = Gold
Cocoa Brown = Neutral

Don't I have to add Neutral to tone down the color so I don't end up very RED? None of the Texture & Tones light colors have a GREEN base, BTW.

Tracy

Not so sure that using a neutral base would stop you from going red Blkmane...will have to check the book again for that one. I don't remember exactly what the deal was with mixing colors - I know more about canceling bases: using red to cancel green, using gold to cancel violet. I've never used neutrals before.

One thing that should stop you from going red though, is a packet that comes in the lightest blond packaging of the T&T that is called a "booster". It, somehow (not sure how yet) tones the red in your hair as you color, so you don't end up with that brassy look. I'll check the Shamboosie book again, if I can, before the weekend.

Careful with all that testing! I don't want you to do too much now girl! LOL! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm no master - but I'm happy to help. /images/graemlins/smile.gif