paging VALLEYGIRL...

kasey

Hi VALLEYGIRL

In your post about your new hair color you wrote that you started growing your natural hair a few summers ago.

Did your hair have a uniform curl pattern then? What exactly was your routine as far as styling and products. How often have you trimmed your hair over the last few years?

How does your routine then compare to your routine now?

Thank you very much,

kasey

VALLEYGIRL

Hi Kasey
Yes My hair had pretty much the same curl pattern then as it does now. (If I remember correctly) I did not do a big chop but let my hair grow out untill it was long enough where I felt comfortable to cut off the relaxed ends. It was between chin and shoulder length then. Hard to say b/c of shrinkage and I didn't really straighten it much .
My routine is pretty much the same as it is now except I only use the curl activator every once in a while when my hair feels dry. I use to do twist outs and braid outs when I was transitioning and I also had a pony tail snap on extension thingy that I used and I used the same products back then.
I wash condition and use Pantene Smooth and sleek as a leave in the apply my gel. The gel I use is VO5 Free me Freesia.. When I use curl activator I use it before the gel and after the conditioner.
The only major change I do now is more deep conditioning treatments b/c I flat iron and roller set my hair more now than I did back then
I trim about twice a year.
HTH
Valleygirl

kasey

Thanks VG,

I have generally worn my hair pressed or in braids. Earlier this year I took out the braids and stopped blowdrying and pressing it. The hair at the sides, temples and lower back has transformed into smooth, shiney curls exactly like the curls in your curly hair picture. But the hair at the mid, and upper back is a little more tightly curled and the hair at the top is dry looking with no elasticity and no defined curls.

I think that the top and mid back area got really damaged because it was more exposed to the sun/wind etc. Maybe I'll try the curl activator in those areas and, after I get a trim, look for a natural hair drawstring ponytail. Thank you.

P.S. In another post you mentioned that you use the Abba Nourishing. Which leave in is your favorite, the Abba or the Pantene?

pmichael52172

Valleygirl,

I was confessing to Allandra that I "snuck" into Sally Beauty supply and bought a mini flat iron. She said that if she remembered correctly, you have one too. What kind to you have? I really like mine because I can get close to the roots and straighten those suckers out.

I don't really mess with my strands because my hair is thin, but because of it's size, I'm able to push my touch-up time back.

Oh, I got the Hot Tools mini flat iron (by Helen of Troy I think). I was anxious to see what the ceramic flat iron hype was about, but I decided to go with this one which is several dollars cheaper. Sally's gives refunds and exchanges up to 90 days so if I want, I can always switch. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

VALLEYGIRL

The Pantene is my all time favorite leave in. I love it and have been using it forever. I use the Abba abut once or twice a week for some extra protein benefits on the weeks after flat-ironing my hair. I try not to overdo it b/c of the high protein content. I have never had a problem with buildup or protein overload though.
Valleygirl

VALLEYGIRL

I have the Jibere de Paris ceramic flat iron. It is narrow and I can get very close to my roots with this one as well. The ceramic gets very hot and gets my hair straight like in the salon. It gets up to 230 degrees hot and has a high wattage (I forget exactly how many watts but it was the highest of all the irons in the store)
I also got mine from Sally's.
Valleygirl

pmichael52172

I saw that one that you have. It is similar to what I have except it is not ceramic. I think your wattage is up to 230degrees at the least - whatever it is, mine is as well.

I think I may stick with the one I have because although it can get up to 230 degrees I don't need much heat at all (I have thin / fragile hair). I keep my dial between 2 and 3.

All in all, I LOVE the fact that it's narrowness allows you to get to those roots. This weekend will be eight weeks since my touchup but the flat-ironed roots look like 3 weeks since a touch up.

I think I made a good investement.