Part 2 of The Jheri Juice Challengeee!!!! Want retention?? Well Come on in!!!! ;-)

gennatay

Re: Part 2 of The Jheri Juice Challengeee!!!! Want retention?? Well Come on in!!!! ;-

NappyRina, when mixing in a 32oz bottle I use about 4oz of glycerin and 28oz of water. I find that having my mix be mostly water helps prevent the reverse affects of drying out my hair in winter, but that is the mix I use year round. And yes I baggy at night.

I also use the above ratio of water to glycerin. I start by using 1/2 teaspoon or aloe vera powder and shake the bottle well until there are no lumps. I then add the glycerin, shake well. Then a tablespoon CD Hair Elixir. Something in the oil keeps this spray fresh and I dont have to refrigerate it.

D.Lisha

Re: Part 2 of The Jheri Juice Challengeee!!!! Want retention?? Well Come on in!!!! ;-

@MyAngelEyez~C~U

Thanks for the measurements!

So if I were to try it out in a smaller bottle it would be (16oz bottle: 2oz Glycerin + 14oz Water) OR (8oz bottle: 1oz Glycerin + 7oz Water)

Sounds so simple! :yep:

Since you baggy at night, are you applying the spritz every night right before you baggy, every morning after removing your baggy, or just several times a week as needed? (I'm assuming the baggy reactivates it so you don't have to spray often, right?)

After washing/conditioning do you spritz it on wet hair or wait until your hair is damp or dry?

Do you ever see the need to "seal" it in with oils/butter or apply any other "leave-in conditioners" or "moisturizers" before or afterwards? Or does that just cause unneccesary buildup or a coating blocking out moisture?

My hair LOVES glycerin in humid weather & I'm trying to see how I can incorporate it all year round! I think baggying may be the key and I can avoid all these oils/butters to "seal" that end up just making my hair feel hard & greasy once dry anyway. May not even need "leave-ins" hmmm. :look:

Thanks in advance - sorry I'm very inquisitive :grin:

To the Bolded: ^^My sentiments EXACTLY^^
So MY question is: Since I wear wigs as a main protective style, would it be necessary for me to utilize the "baggy" method (because my hair would already be covered) if I do the spritz the night before? Basically I'm trying to see if I can get away with simply spraying it on my roots at night, tie it up, then slip into my wig the next morning and repeat the next night without loosing moisture or having my hair dry out from the cold weather?

CocoGlow

So MY question is: Since I wear wigs as a main protective style, would it be necessary for me to utilize the "baggy" method (because my hair would already be covered) if I do the spritz the night before? Basically I'm trying to see if I can get away with simply spraying it on my roots at night, tie it up, then slip into my wig the next morning and repeat the next night without loosing moisture or having my hair dry out from the cold weather?

@D.Lisha

I'm no expert but i don't think anything traps in moisture like a plastic baggy. Silk scarves are known to be great in not absorbing all the moisture from your hair like cotton can so that would be a plus but not as great as plastic. The plastic traps errrthang in! :yep:

I personally don't like the idea of sleeping with a plastic cap (I'm imagining all that noise!) but I do know some ladies only baggy for a few hours a day (like before going to bed) because they tend to sweat too much in their head if they do it overnight, and it seems to be enough for their hair! Also some poke little holes in the cap so they don't get too sweaty.

I need to get some plastic caps and experiment! :grin:

Last edited:

JuiceMobsta

@Chelz

Do you notice your hair feels any different using the Cantu for Naturals Activator or Lotion in Dry weather?

Do you have to make any adjustments to your routine based on the weather?

Also does anyone still wear a plastic cap to make these glycerin based products penetrate?

Thanks Ladies!

NappyRina I would say that it does not keep my hair as moisturized in dryer weather. I have never tried diluting it though. But I also alternate with other things to moisturize my hair year round, like Tresemme Naturals condish(as a leave in). :yep:

Chelz, I was cowashing and wet/dry bunning over the summer, then I had health issues arise that required m to take a beta blocker starting in August. I think that med played a part in some hair loss/breakage. I changed up my products, wet back to cones (briefly), and tried black soap to wash (briefly), both no goes. I tried out Devacare condition and No Poo, made my hair dry out, bleh. So now I've gone back to using my trusty Tresemme Naturals moisture conditioner with olive oil or hempseed oil added for cowashing/conditioning, and wash n goes using Ecostyler and some form of The Juice, LOL. Also stopped taking the beta blocker last week since it was more to keep me comfortable than it was a necessity (doc actually said I would be just fine without it). I have had a pro steamer for a year now but barely use it so I'm going to try to add once a week steaming as well.

MyAngelEyez~C~U Sorry about your hair loss/breakage! :( ...Yeah, I think that black soap may not be the best thing to wash your hair with, it has a very high pH. DO you get good retention from wash n go's ? Your new/trusty regimen sounds pretty good so hopefully it will work out for you! :crossfingers: Let us know how it goes! :)

D.Lisha I would say to just try it and see how it works for you. If the simple spritz at night doesn't work for your your hair then try taking it a step further and doing the actual baggy. :yep: Keep us posted! :)

Bump, has anyone used Hawaiian Silky Do It Anyway You Want curl activator?

Love Always I have never tried this one but I have tried the Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1. I remember it being kind of thick. :) Are you going to try that curl activator?

MyCoilsGoBoing

I love the Hawaiian Silky Do It Anyway You Want curl activator. It's one of my staples and I use it year round. I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who uses it, lol.

JuiceMobsta

For any of you who might want to know about the juice that Love Always and MyCoilsGoBoing mentioned, here is a pic and the ingredients:

http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/JBK1100411KV0903.htm

Water (Aqua), Carbomer, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Peg-75 Lanolin, Cetyl Alcohol, Polysorbate-60, Triethanolamine, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, C12-C15 Alkyl Benzoate, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract, Articum Lappa Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Viscum Album (Mistletoe) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Meal Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract (Salvia Officinalis), Nasturtium Officinale Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Fd&C Yellow No.5.

Ingredient Attributes: silicone free, sulfate free

Atdow71

I was reading this thread this morning and decided to spray my hair w/ some s-curl that has been sitting on my shelf since the summer. I sprayed my hair and sealed w/ a mix of gso & sunflower seed oil..... My hair is still soft- I haven't baggied. This is a Keeper.

JuiceMobsta

I was reading this thread this morning and decided to spray my hair w/ some s-curl that has been sitting on my shelf since the summer. I sprayed my hair and sealed w/ a mix of gso & sunflower seed oil..... My hair is still soft- I haven't baggied. This is a Keeper.

That's great!! Im sure Nonie would be glad to know that you like S-curl :lol:

Nonie

Atdow71 that you have seen the light and discovered the wonders of S Curl calls for a praise dance.

Thanks Chelz for sharing this wonderful news. :grin:

kimpaur

I really want to start juicing but the ingredients of some of the juices kind of scare me...anyone know of any natural juicers or atleast some w out all the parabens and propyl glycol?

kimpaur

aw heck I might just take the plunge..anybody heard of Liquid Love Activator???

Atdow71

I really want to start juicing but the ingredients of some of the juices kind of scare me...anyone know of any natural juicers or atleast some w out all the parabens and propyl glycol?

kimpaur try Oyin handmade juices. Here are the ingredients:
Made of: Aqueous infusion of shavegrass leaf, lavender buds, nettle leaf, chamomile flower, and red rose petals; organic flax seeds; organic aloe leaf juice; vegetable glycerin; lavender oil, orange peel oil, grapefruit seed extract; citric acid, and love!

Juices&Berries and Frank Juice varieties also include fragrance oil. :eek:)

kimpaur

@kimpaur try Oyin handmade juices. Here are the ingredients:
Made of: Aqueous infusion of shavegrass leaf, lavender buds, nettle leaf, chamomile flower, and red rose petals; organic flax seeds; organic aloe leaf juice; vegetable glycerin; lavender oil, orange peel oil, grapefruit seed extract; citric acid, and love!

Juices&Berries and Frank Juice varieties also include fragrance oil. :eek:)

Thanks!!Have you tried the juices before?I was thinking about going the Oyin route but the other juices are a lot cheaper..and I remember reading somewhere that the juices made someone's hair sticky but was a good refresher.Anyone find them moisturizing?I'll probably do a search...

JuiceMobsta

kimpaur Cantu Shea for Natural Hair Curl Activator Cream and Creamy Hair Lotion both have more natural ingredients, and no parabens or propylene glycol. :)

Cantu Shea Butter Creamy Hair Lotion

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlp...er-creamy-hair-lotion-styling-products-130-oz

Ingredients
Water (Aqua) , Glycerin, Canola Oil , Cetearyl Alcohol , Ceteareth 20 , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Fragrance , Stearalkonium Chloride , Glycol Stearate , Cetyl Alcohol , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil (Sweet Almond) , Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Jojoba) , Olea Europaea Fruit Oil (Olive) , Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice , Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter , Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem) , Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot) , Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil (Macadamia) , Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil , Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle) , Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract , Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract (Grape) , Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle) , Silk Amino Acids , Phenoxyethanol , Ethylhexylglycerin

Cantu Shea Butter Curl Activator Cream

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlp...g-curl-activator-cream-styling-products-12-oz

Ingredients
Water, Glycerin, Propanediol, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Olea Euopaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernal Oil, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Lonciera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Laminara Cloustoni (Sea Kelp) Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia (Macadamia) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Silk Amino Acids, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate-60, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

Love Always

I used the Cantu on my ends along with oil and my hair was crunchy. Looks like I'll be buying the Hawaiian Silky or something else.

tallnomad

So I think I'm going to get back to the juicing hardcore. My hair has been feeling really dry lately and because I live in a dry environment, I plan on juicing daily and baggying every night and most days.

Then every three days, I will DC on dry hair with heat for at least an hour and then wrap a towel or put on a hat for the rest of the night and shampoo in the morning.

virtuenow

Will there be a new juice challenge?

virtuenow

@virtuenow I'm not sure, would you like to be a part of a new challenge? :)

Yes, I was always curious during the juicing challenges-- but once I started, the challenges came to a complete halt.

Evo-ny

I'd sign up for a new juicing challenge! I tend to stay on track for a few months, but whenever I flat iron my hair, I stop indefinitely. It would go well with the no heat challenge I'm in!