Parting Tip for New Self-Braiders

P

patient1

I always read concerns about parting for those who want to braid their own hair. I'm pretty fast and can get individuals into a head in 6 hours or less. On my own head, parting adds a little more time.

Try parting in advance. This is especially helpful if your hair is short. Apply a leave in, part your hair into the desired sections and two strand twist or plait it. Do your whole head to your satisfaction and THEN install the extensions. The twists and plaits make it easier to remove buildup after you take out your extensions and installing on the presectioned hair moves a lot faster.

When you get more practice you can part as you go. Most times I part a row, braid a row, part a row, braid a row. Last night, I was watching a movie elsewhere, so I used the time to part and section in advance. I just two strand twisted using a pomade. This morning I came home, the sections are still in tact, and I'm just braiding away without worrying about double mirrors and such.

Think of it this way, in factories, time is conserved by breaking things into steps and focusing on ONE step at a time. For instance, if you were filling gift bags with 10 different items. IT would make more sense to line up your bags and fill with each specific item in masse as opposed to one of each into each bag.

When your hair is preparted, actually installing in the extension will go a lot faster.

hth,
p1

P

patient1

Miz_Complexity said:
This is a great tip.....

I hope it helps. I'm almost finished with my braids using this method (I call it spoking...creating little spokes for the extensions) and they look fantastic. I'm allowing myself to compliment my work. My father's SO is from the Phillipines and she just stopped through on their way back up North. She was floored. My Dad is pretty reserved but he was amazed too. The spokes blend in perfectly with the extensions. There's no bulkiness or anything like that. And it's so easy to just grab a spoke and braid, grab another spoke and braid, etc. As opposed to part, twist the hair to grip, braid on, eyeball another part, etc.

p1

P

patient1

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
I'm not new to self braiding, but that's an awesome tip, thanks! ;)

Good! It's nice to have a vet check in and give it the thumbs up. :) I'm all done. I was a lazy bum today. But on my own head I don't feel so bad. I'll post pics tomorrow or something. These are smaller than usual. I don't quite know how that happened...

Perhaps I should start a website...The Spoke and Glory Method?? :lol: Then again...:look:

p1

Tee

Great tips. I can't braid or plait or anything. P1, can I come sit in your chair? giggles.

P

peacefulstrength

great tip!!!!!!....i cant braid with extensions...but i was curious just in case I do get bold one day. Does the spoke become 1/3 of the extension or do you make the spoke join 1/3 of the extension.

P

patient1

DDtexlaxd said:
How do you get the front of your hair to look good? that's where my problem lies.:ohwell:

When I part for a client, I braid ear to ear in horizontal rows until I hit their ears....a little past the ears. I end up with a horseshoe shape for about 3 or 4 rows up from the ear. For the crown that is left, I start to part diagonally. It makes the braids fall nicer. The front has a diamond shap in the end.

p1

P

patient1

Letitia said:
Great tips. I can't braid or plait or anything. P1, can I come sit in your chair? giggles.

Come on!! One of my friends, who's also a member here, came down for a visit and I did individuals for her.

I also did individuals for a relaxed client with hair longer than yours NO extensions.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2475/cat/500/ppuser/7466

She wanted to rest her hair but didn't want to add any extensions. After she took this bun loose, we rodded her hair for a cute loose style.

p1

P

patient1

addydoll said:
great tip!!!!!!....i cant braid with extensions...but i was curious just in case I do get bold one day. Does the spoke become 1/3 of the extension or do you make the spoke join 1/3 of the extension.

The spoke is completely covered by the extension the same way you would if it were not preparted and twisted. You just use the spoke as the third leg of the braid until you get past your ends then, split the extension hair into thirds and continue braiding till you care to stop.

p1

P

peacefulstrength

patient1 said:
The spoke is completely covered by the extension the same way you would if it were not preparted and twisted. You just use the spoke as the third leg of the braid until you get past your ends then, split the extension hair into thirds and continue braiding till you care to stop.

p1

okay, cool...yeah I learned something...I need to buy some hair and try it

Ivonnovi

Okay,

My hair is long but thin and fine. I've just finished braiding it (1st time in 3yrs) How do I close these in.... IOW ...show less scalp and fuller hair? Mind you that because I'm in the Military, I have to be able to pull the hair into a bun of some type (because of this I use human hair to cut down on bulk).

Attachments

• braidback.jpg
    braidback.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Braiddown.jpg
    Braiddown.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

kbfluff

Yes, i do my own individual braids and I thought i was the only one who pre-seperates.
It makes the job much faster. what i do is part each box and wrap a small black rubber band on my hair. I only wrap the band two times and my hair is oiled before putting the rubber band on each section.
This helps alot with doing the back. Actually i start on the back sections first and then finish the front last because the front is much easier for me.
Last time i put my individuals in it may have took me about 5-6 hrs.
Well well, i guess great lhcf minds think alike.:yawn: