Pastor Coercing me into Baptism

peacensoul

Today I went to my pastor's house to talk to him about a youth program that some of the college graduates at church proposed. When I was on my way out he asked me if I was baptized and I said NO.. He automatically started telling me that I will have to be baptized as soon as possible. Then an elder pulled up to the driveway and the conversation got deeper. In the end he ended up telling the elder to have the water running for TOMORROW 10am.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH could you believe this... who gets baptized like this.. how random... so how do I shut this down.. I'm down for baptism but when I am ready...... help me I need to shut this down before 10 am..

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Today I went to my pastor's house to talk to him about a youth program that some of the college graduates at church proposed. When I was on my way out he asked me if I was baptized and I said NO.. He automatically started telling me that I will have to be baptized as soon as possible. Then an elder pulled up to the driveway and the conversation got deeper. In the end he ended up telling the elder to have the water running for TOMORROW 10am.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH could you believe this... who gets baptized like this.. how random... so how do I shut this down.. I'm down for baptism but when I am ready...... help me I need to shut this down before 10 am..

Whoa Nelly! You can say no AND refuse to show up tomorrow.
It's your journey, not his.

Keep1Belle

Tell himyou know the importance of baptism and appreciate him taking the time to speak with you about it in nmore detail. But when YOU are ready you will make that step and get baptised, NOT tomorrow.

Dont be pressured. I was baptized early, at 7, but I had asked to be. A good friend of mine was baptized at 28 and it was HER decision . whether you are 8 or 28 it should be your decision.

Coffee

I ran this past my hubby who is a Rev. and he said just simply tell your Pastor you're not ready to be baptized. Our definition of baptism is it's an outward expression of an inward change. So my Sister, just tell your Pastor you're not ready.

OhmyKimB

Tell himyou know the importance of baptism and appreciate him taking the time to speak with you about it in nmore detail. But when YOU are ready you will make that step and get baptised, NOT tomorrow.

Dont be pressured. I was baptized early, at 7, but I had asked to be. A good friend of mine was baptized at 28 and it was HER decision . whether you are 8 or 28 it should be your decision.

ITA! I was baptized at 7 also but it was MY choice. Tell him that you understand but you know you are not ready. There's a girl, D, in my church who is 16 she had issues with this one girl comng and attacking her at church when she was younger. Now that this other girl isn't here her and her mother have come back...I always want her to be part of things like ushering (Mostly cuz I'm in charge and I know nothing will happen and my kids no I don't play) and dance. But she can't cuz she's not baptized. But for me that's fine....I only want her to so she can do things...

That's why I leave her be...my reason is selfish. I don't want her left out...but she sees the importantance in her decision..

No one should make you get baptized just cuz...if it's not in your heart it does no one any good. But when it is the kingdom of heaven will rejoice with you

Nice & Wavy

I agree with the others in saying that you are to do it at your time. However, I do understand the passion of your pastor in trying to share with you the importance of baptism and how it is a benefit for you and not a distraction.

Now, I realize that it may have been much for you, the way he presented it...but, don't close the door on what he said either. Spend time with the Lord and ask Him to reveal to you why His desire for man to be baptized is of great importance to Him (The Father) and that you will truly understand the results of such event. Ask, and it shall be given you...good measured, press down, shaken together and running over!

Remember....the enemy doesn't want you to get baptized...he knows the empowerment of the believer when he/she does, so his plan is to confuse you and to get you to a point where you are afraid to do it.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean NOT to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge HIM and HE shall direct your path.

Be blessed my sister and be at peace!

Last edited: