Pastor helps end marriage drought -- semi-spinoff

Bunny77

Here is an article about a black pastor in the UK who has instructed his church leadership to promote marriage. I found this very insightful, and I think the questions and his answers touch on many of the statements made and questions asked in the "To Be Content Alone" thread.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=12460

Pastor helps end marriage drought

BY Marcia Dixon

Pastor Dave Daniels took action to end the marriage drought at his church. He tells Soul Stirrings how he did it.

Soul Stirrings (SS): You havebeen pro-active in promoting marriage amongst your members. What kind of things have you been doing?

Pastor Dave Daniels (PDD):The first thing we did was to confront the reality that not only were relationships not happening at our church, there wasn't even much possibility for them to happen. So I introduced these meetings called the 'relationship forums', which were basically an opportunity to teach about how relationships could develop, create an atmosphere of possibility in our church, and discuss the fact that relationships would be happening.

The subject of the lack of marriages was also persistently mentioned in our prayer meetings, and I asked one of the lecturers in our Bible Academy to teach about Christian relationships/marriage in one of the modules. The various departments in our church also took this issue to task. We just started to think differently.

SS: Why did you feel it was important for you to actively promote marriage in your church?

PDD: I could see people in our church were trying to cope with being single, but deep down there was a deep longing to be in relationship and hopefully enjoy married life some day. I also knew that if these believers were not in church, they would have no problem in developing a relationship with someone from the opposite sex. It was as if becoming a Christian meant signing a celibacy declaration FOR LIFE. This, in my opinion, was unacceptable. I basically told the church that this scenario was a curse. Eventually people started to recognise this. It took some time to persuade some people, because the hurt of believing then being disappointed would be too much for them.

SS: What kind of things started to happen when your church began praying for more marriages?

PDD: We drew a line between the world's understandings of 'dating' and developed our own principle for 'purposeful Christian friendships' but with spiritual oversight. And what happened was that in 2004 we had one marriage, in 2005 we had three. In 2006 there were four weddings, and in 2007 we had eight weddings. Right now, there are at least four couples with dates for their weddings in 2008. It truly is God's doing, our church is not particularly large and some of our members have found their spouses from other churches. But we try to ensure that all of our couples have good pre-marital preparation and are well supported by the fellowship.

SS: Christian woman often complain about the difficulties of finding a partner. Why do you think this is such a problem in the church?

PDD: I think church needs to relate to men more adequately; too often the number of women exceeds the amount of men in our churches. This problem needs to be addressed right now. Furthermore, the choices women have are not always encouraging. It would help if more men secured the mentorship of good, spiritually mature men, who have godly character, ambition, integrity, and the Word of God.

SS: Do you think that if pastors were more pro-active in praying for and promoting marriage, more of their members would find a life partner? If your answer is yes, why?

PDD: Yes, it is essential that pastors bring this situation to prayer. Things have to change, this curse of 'no possibility', has to be broken. If a person chooses to remain single that's ok, but singleness should never be forced on a person simply because of their environment. This cannot be God's will. We pastors are responsible for encouraging prayer but to be proactive as well.

SS: What advice would you give to pastors desirous of seeing more marriages take place?

PDD: Well, every church is different so what worked for PCF may not work for all churches, but I think the following might be helpful. Firstly, the situation has to be highlighted in prayer with the understanding that this environment where there is not much possibility for the developing of relationships does not please the Lord. Then churches need to give realistic ideas and methods as to how relationships can develop. The circle of friendships and ministry may need to exceed the local church setting. And one thing I personally found helpful, was speaking to other pastors about the lack of marriages and how they dealt with it in their churches.

SS: What is the benefit to the church and the black community of couples getting married and taking their vows seriously?

PDD: It is a great witness to this world when our marriages are loving and strong. God created marriage and we are supposed to experience all the fruit of this blessed institution. Healthy Christian marriages can bring balance to our community, and marriages are helpful in moulding the expectations of the emerging generations and can fill us all with a sense of hope.

Irresistible

I think if we go to a million church singles gatherings or sign up for several christian singles sites. we still have to remember

What God has joined together , let no man put asunder

it can never be what man has joined together, and we also have to remember God's divine timing in such matters, you can meet many people and be proactive in doing so and go to every function that increases your numbers, but those numbers dont matter when you only need God to bring you that ONE

He is able, it might happen for some under these types of gathering and it might be really God doing it, it might not happen for some no matter how many times they go, if its not God's timing, thats just what I believe

nothing wrong with feeling like your doing something and being proactive, and for some just 'getting married' will be enough, but for some it wont and they may lack the spiritual maturity to not rush into the union just because it was presented, and end up with the wrong person

let me just finish by saying, The devil is very busy bringing pretty packaged counterfeits , and we must gaurd our hearts. and in the end no matter what you do

its still all going to work together for the Good, if you truly love God

Shinka

"We drew a line between the world's understandings of 'dating' and developed our own principle for 'purposeful Christian friendships' but with spiritual oversight."

" I introduced these meetings called the 'relationship forums', which were basically an opportunity to teach about how relationships could develop, create an atmosphere of possibility in our church, and discuss the fact that relationships would be happening."

"I asked one of the lecturers in our Bible Academy to teach about Christian relationships/marriage in one of the modules. The various departments in our church also took this issue to task. We just started to think differently."

Irrestible you are right, and Church should not be playing God, and its all about God's timing and will. I don't think this isn't what this pastor is doing or promoting.

From the quotes above, the pastor basically started a dialogue in the church, created spiritual lessons, guidance, and fosteedr environments that promoted relationships. With these skills and lessons like he stated, some find relationships with other Christians from outside his church, some inside.

I would love to be apart of a ministry like that. I'm not in it to find a man, but the teachings on godly dating and relationships. Our pastors teach us on how to be good and steadfast Christians. They teach us and guide us on our many different roles, but the relationship/marriage role is lacking.

I think that is what this pastor's mission is about and we shouldn't overshadow it with the notion that "Man" or "the church" is playing match maker.

Irresistible

Irrestible you are right, and Church should not be playing God, and its all about God's timing and will. I don't think this isn't what this pastor is doing or promoting.

From the quotes above, the pastor basically started a dialogue in the church, created spiritual lessons, guidance, and fosteedr environments that promoted relationships. With these skills and lessons like he stated, some find relationships with other Christians from outside his church, some inside.

I would love to be apart of a ministry like that. I'm not in it to find a man, but the teachings on godly dating and relationships. Our pastors teach us on how to be good and steadfast Christians. They teach us and guide us on our many different roles, but the relationship/marriage role is lacking.

I think that is what this pastor's mission is about and we shouldn't overshadow it with the notion that "Man" or "the church" is playing match maker.

yeah thats exactly it, I am cool with it as long as man or the church isnt playing matchmaker

I just responded, I didnt read everything written 'my bad' just responded to the notion that a church might be doing this

I cant say what part in all that is man ,church or God

but your right the teaching can only be a good thing. I dont exactly understand how they credit that to the marriages that took place , but its all good if its ALL GOD

thats my only point

Love Always

This is my first post in the Christian Forum and I just wanted to say thank you Bunny77 for this. I've seen a lof of your threads/posts and insightful knowledge on this subject and it has blessed me tremendously:yep:.

momi

What a wonderful idea and necessary.

I especially agree with the part that mentions how women outnumber men in churches and this needs to be adressed.