Pastor Reinstated

Iwanthealthyhair67

Apostate Pastor Who Officiated Son’s Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ Reinstated

June 25, 2014 | Filed under: Apostasy,Top Stories | By: Editor

In a reversal, an apostate Pennsylvania pastor who was defrocked last year for violating United Methodist law after he officiated at his son’s so-called same-sex wedding has been reinstated.

Frank Schaefer learned Tuesday (June 24) his ministerial credentials will be restored after the United Methodist’s Northeastern Jurisdictional Committee on Appeals voted 8-1 in his favor.
The committee, which held a hearing June 20 near Baltimore, found that “errors of Church law” had been used in imposing the penalty against Schaefer.

“I was wrongfully punished for standing with those who are discriminated against,” Schaefer said in a statement. “Today’s decision is a sign that the church is starting to listen.”

Schaefer said he and his family will move to California as early as next week to accept an invitation to be a part of the United Methodist’s California-Pacific Conference.

That conference recently passed a resolution calling for an end to trials in cases of clergy violating policy connected with so-called “gay rights”.
“I will not refuse ministry to anyone,” he said. “I will never be silent again. I will always speak for my LGBTQ brothers and sisters.”

The decision to reinstate Schaefer comes as the world’s 12 million United Methodists appear headed toward a split over the denomination’s rules on prohibiting homosexual behavior.

“The events over the last nine months make the division in our church much more clear,” said Tom Lambrecht, vice president and general manager of Good News, a conservative group within the United Methodist Church. “I have not seen a realistic option that will allow us to live together in one church.”

More than 80 pastors recently signed a statement saying the United Methodists have irreconcilable differences on the issue of homosexuality and a split is imminent. More than 2,500 United Methodist leaders have signed “A Way Forward,” a proposal calling for local decisions on openly homosexual clergy and so-called “same-sex marriage”.

Several other United Methodist clergy, including a retired bishop, are awaiting news of formal church complaints or trials for defying Methodist policy banning homosexuality. A group of 10 retired clergy said earlier this month they would preside at “same-sex marriages”.

Schaefer, formerly pastor of Zion United Methodist Church in Iona, was found guilty of violating the church’s Book of Discipline in a November 2013 trial. A church jury suspended him for 30 days, during which he was told to decide whether he could comply with church law. If he could not, the jury said he was to surrender his clergy credentials.

The United Methodist Church’s Book of Discipline calls the practice of homosexuality “incompatible with Christian teaching” and bars clergy from performing the so-called same-sex unions.

But the appeals committee ruled that the penalty was beyond those outlined in church law. It also said the penalty “could not be predicated on a future possibility.”

The committee also ruled that the Eastern Pennsylvania Annual Conference must compensate Schaefer for all lost salary and benefits from the date he lost his credentials, Dec. 19, 2013.

The committee’s decision could be appealed to the Judicial Council, the church’s highest court.

RNS / Christian News Network contributed to this report.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
You know what? This word 'discrimination' is really being taking fully out of context. So now, sin is a victim of discrimination?

:nono: :nono: :nono:

They don't know nor do they love God. :nono:

Farida

I just never understand how Christians declare gay marriage as right under Christian principles. Homosexual sex is clearly forbidden in the bible. It is not ambiguous. It's one thing to overlook/ignore sins, which is still wrong, but a whole other to just decide something is not sinful. I am really curious how someone who presumably attended seminary school justifies this. There are even people who are not Christian who know the bible does not condone this.

curlytwirly06

I just never understand how Christians declare gay marriage as right under Christian principles. Homosexual sex is clearly forbidden in the bible. It is not ambiguous. It's one thing to overlook/ignore sins, which is still wrong, but a whole other to just decide something is not sinful. I am really curious how someone who presumably attended seminary school justifies this. There are even people who are not Christian who know the bible does not condone this.

This. I have often wondered. Have you noticed though that religious leaders especially flip flop to what ever view point is mainstreamed and brings more money into the congregation? These churches looking for public acceptance and seeking to change the word for worldly validation are really not firm on foundation of Christ.

Mortons

2 Questions.

Do you know they condone sex between the couple for a fact? Is it possible that they just condone marriage for all Christians under God?

And would you rather have homosexuals who otherwise follow the words of God and behave in a Christian manner? Or is it preferred that homosexuals turn against religion and act in a manner that would cause Christianity strife and grief. I wonder this because people give homosexual Christians a hard time and I wonder if you would prefer that we are Satanists or the like?

Divine.

Hi Mortons, I know these questions weren't directed towards me but I figured I would take a stab at it.

To your first question, I feel as though the word Christian is thrown around too loosely nowadays. You can profess to be a believer and still live in a life of sin (ex. Me a year and a half ago). So my answer to this is, if you say you're a Christian, why would you enter into this type of relationship knowing that God is clearly against it? That's like me having premarital sex with my boyfriend everyday and thinking that God is okay with it. I don't want to imply that homosexuality is always a choice, but my point is, why is it as Christians we pick and choose what we want to follow? We always choose the things that fit our lifestyle. This cherry picking of values does not please God in the least :nono:

Whether he only condones the marriage doesn't really matter because he's well aware of what type of union this is. Inevitability, it leads to sex between man and man. As Christians, you can't straddle the fence with God. Either it is, or isn't. And I bet you this pastor is anti-abortion, anti-premarital sex, anti-shacking, anti-(insert sin here) too. Either you're going to measure all sin the same or you're not.

To your second question, I don't have a personal vendetta against homosexuals. Therefore, I would rather that they know God than to be without Him. I think people give homosexual Christians a much harder time because their sin is front and center. Is it fair? Nope. I know way too many closet sinners for me to single out homosexuals. For me personally, it's just hard to reconcile someone claiming to be a Christian and still choosing to live in sin. And this goes for every sin, including homosexuality. I make no distinctions in the type of sin.

I don't like discussing this topic too much because I have a few people who are close to me who are homosexual. And they're not just people who I can throw away. The day will come where I will have to openly reject them, and it is not easy for me.

I hope this answers your questions. I also hope that we can partake in a healthy discussion.

felic1

2 Questions.

Do you know they condone sex between the couple for a fact? Is it possible that they just condone marriage for all Christians under God?

And would you rather have homosexuals who otherwise follow the words of God and behave in a Christian manner? Or is it preferred that homosexuals turn against religion and act in a manner that would cause Christianity strife and grief. I wonder this because people give homosexual Christians a hard time and I wonder if you would prefer that we are Satanists or the like?

The Bible does not condone homosexuality. This behavior does cause strife and grief. We do not hate people who indicate they are homesexual practitioners. We believe that the practice is ungodly. We hate the practice.
God desires that all would repent of their sins (turn away from). :look:

Mortons

Hi @Mortons, I know these questions weren't directed towards me but I figured I would take a stab at it.

To your first question, I feel as though the word Christian is thrown around too loosely nowadays.

The day will come where I will have to openly reject them, and it is not easy for me.

I hope this answers your questions. I also hope that we can partake in a healthy discussion.

Why not just reject them now? You know they cannot remain a part of your life, so why not rip the band aid off immediately instead of peeling it back so to say. Make it less painful. And they have a right to know they are not a part of your life's plan, because otherwise you could be seen as using them, and that's not a Christian thing to do.

And to your first point (sorry for going backwards) I have struggled and thought about not identifying with modern Christianity and Christians anymore because it has become more cult like with the many different sects and rules and pastor worship. Churches like Eddie lols are more like Warren Jeffs than not like him and they dont see it.

Mortons

The Bible does not condone homosexuality. This behavior does cause strife and grief. We do not hate people who indicate they are homesexual practitioners. We believe that the practice is ungodly. We hate the practice.
God desires that all would repent of their sins (turn away from). :look:

Not it absolutely doesnt.

curlytwirly06

Not it absolutely doesnt.

In the mind of indiscriminate men or in the holiness of the creator and his intent and purpose when creating man? Men can do and say whatever they please and say it was in the name of heaven. But know that it is he in the judgement that discern good from evil and faithful from unfaithful. Just because certain "christian" denominations / divisions are seeking to change the word of God to favor the views of society does not mean the LORD himself changes. He IS all that He IS. No man on earth can change that. We cannot pick and choose what to follow, we must accept the Lord for all that he is and seek to remain faithful on the path unto salvation.

Blackpearl1993

It is very possible to love the sinner and hate the sin. Homosexuality is against the natural order of what God designed--it is sin. He designed marriage to be between a man and a woman, plain and simple. I do not hate homosexuals, but I do hate sin (all types). It is a travesty that this pastor was reinstated. Any pastor who chooses to stand up for what God declares to be sin (any sin), does not belong in the pulpit. He is misleading the flock and will answer to God for doing so. He had no business marrying his son to another man and he knows that. The Bible says we are to love what God loves and hate what He hates. God hates sin. He loves every single person that He created and desires for them to come to Him, repent, and serve Him wholeheartedly. He desires for every single person He has created to accept the gift of His forgiveness and have everlasting life. Sadly, everyone won't receive that gift because they choose not to and instead desire to follow their own fleshly desires.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
It is very possible to love the sinner and hate the sin. Homosexuality is against the natural order of what God designed--it is sin. He designed marriage to be between a man and a woman, plain and simple. I do not hate homosexuals, but I do hate sin (all types).

It is a travesty that this pastor was reinstated.

Any pastor who chooses not to stand up for what God declares to be sin (any sin), does not belong in the pulpit. He is misleading the flock and will answer to God for doing so.

He had no business marrying his son to another man and he knows that.

The Bible says we are to love what God loves and hate what He hates. God hates sin. He loves every single person that He created and desires for them to come to Him, repent, and serve Him wholeheartedly. He desires for every single person He has created to accept the gift of His forgiveness and have everlasting life.

Sadly, everyone won't receive that gift because they choose not to and instead desire to follow their own fleshly desires.

This man 'hates' his son. God's Word is clear that 'God chastises whom He loves" and that any man who does not chastise his child 'hates' them.

Therefore this man has proven that he 'hates' his son. He has 'married' his son's soul to a sin which is reprobate and dishonorable to God and God's pure design for Marriage.

Without this faux marriage, this man can still love his son, care for him, express loving compassion for him, embrace him wholly as his beloved child and still not give glory to the sin that his son is in.

It is made worse when a man (or woman) who carries the title of a Pastor, Minister, Clergyman (or woman), Bishop, etc., fall yield to this acceptance of sin, for they are putting satan's seal of approval upon what God does not approve nor give grace to.

They have sold out to hell. All satan wants is to disprove and disrespect God and God's intended purpose and plan for woman and man. They have now become satan's puppets in the pulpit. They've allowed themselves to become the wooden figures who sit upon the knee of a ventriloquist, who now controls their minds and actions, and all against God's order.

This is not what God intended nor will God change to appease their folly. :nono: