PCOS/Insulin Resistance/Thyroid Issues Support Thread (for Hair)

Nonpareil

I'm starting this thread for anyone who is experiencing shedding and issues from either PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) or other related illnesses (metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance, diabetes, hypothyroidism).

While I have not had an official diagnosis, all of the symptoms are textbook. I have always been at-risk - grew up with hypoglycemia, father is diabetic, was diagnosed with Syndrome X (metabolic syndrome) in early 20s.

In the middle of last year, I started having extremely heavy cycles - while always on time, they were either extremely heavy or light and spotty. Then came the weight gain - 35 or so pounds in a matter of months. In late '07, my hair began shedding. Every wash amounted to handful - I'm talking massive shedding. After finally making the commitment to my hair and getting its health on track, it was devastating to watch all of progress wash down the drain. This is why I temporarily took my photo album down. While I never saw a bald spot or noticeable area of thinning (because my hair very thick - my mother says I could "stand to lose some") it was unsettling to finally be able to feel my scalp when I ran my fingers through my hair.

In January, I decided to braid it up and start wearing wigs. It was shedding so much that my hair would become very tangled during washing. I avoided washing because the experience was very unpleasant. This lead to dryness and brittleness.

Anyway, fast forward to now. In March, I decided to do my research. I don't have health insurance, and didn't want to be placed on the standard treatment medications. I decided to look for natural alternatives. While it is still relatively early to report, I think the shedding may be stabilizing itself.

I am taking:

Thyroidinum 12x (homeopathic remedy to stimulate underactive thyroid)
Saw Palmetto and Spearmint Tea (natural anti-androgens)
B-Complex 150, 1000 MG of Vitamin C
A Hair, Skin, Nails vitamin (either Vitamin Shoppe or Futurebiotics)
Fo-Ti/Ho Sho Wu (Hair)
Hyland's #12 Silicea 6x (Hair/Skin - homeopathic tablet version of Silica)
100-200 mg of Alpha-Lipoic Acid (for insulin resistance)
Nature's Way Blood Sugar (for insulin resistance, includes chromium/gymnema)
Cinnamon (sprinkle in my coffee)
Garlic/Lysine - overall health
1000-2000 mcg of Biotin (take sublingual lozenges)
Evening Primrose Oil (female health)
Lecithin/Flax Seed Oil
Salmon Oil
Coconut Oil (thyroid/metabolism/skin)

Fennel during my cycle (along with EPO) completely eliminates pms/cycle related issues.

I've also reduced my sugar intake dramatically, and now use either stevia or agave nectar as a sweetener. I limit myself to one dessert a day.

I'm looking forward to starting an exercise regimen to get it all under control.

Feel free to ask/answer questions, discuss. I will bump periodically.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Wow, great thread! I was diagnosed a few years ago with hypothyroid, I also don't want to take medication, so I've kinda been ignoring it :ohwell:

Can you tell me more about the homeopathic silica? What's the difference between that and regular silica? Where'd you get it?

Also, can you tell me about the Thyroidinum? Have you seen results from using it?

I'm gonna start taking coconut oil along with ACV to boost my metobolism, but I live in a small town and we don't have ANYTHING here. So I have to order dang near everything off the internet :wallbash:

DivaD04

I don't have any of these issues....i really hope not, but just reading, this thread deserves all 5 stars from me! i hope the best for the 2 of u and the rest of the women who are looking for support here.

Nonpareil

Hi!

I'm not too sure about the differences between the homeopathic and standard versions of Silica. I can tell you that the homeopathic version is a lot more gentle, and is used as a treatment in this form. The bottle says for "Skin eruptions, brittle hair and nails." I take so many things that I felt that this would be best. I am still getting some Silica from my hair vitamins. I get them as small lactose-based tablets that you let dissolve under your tongue. You can order these from Vitacost.com.

The Thyroidinum remedy (sugar-based under-the-tongue pellets) is dried sheep's thyroid gland. Most homeopathic remedies stimulate your body into functioning properly. Thyroidinum stimulates the thyroid gland. I feel that this is a great alternative to the standard synthetic thyroid hormone treatments that they put you on. If I remember correctly, the X measurements (like 12x) are good for hypothyroidism, while the C measurements will stabilize hyperthyroid issues. You may want to do a Google search. I order through ABC Homeopathy. So far, I've noticed an increase in energy, my feet don't get cold anymore, and my skin is no longer dry - so it's definitely doing something.

Don't feel bad about ordering online - it's easier and CHEAPER right now. The cost of everything has gone up. I just went to GNC and noticed that the Futurebiotics vitamins were $16.99 and I paid $6.59 online. As long as you order more than one item, you're saving money.

And remember, supplements can be cheaper than meds!

Nonpareil

I don't have any of these issues....i really hope not, but just reading, this thread deserves all 5 stars from me! i hope the best for the 2 of u and the rest of the women who are looking for support here.

Thanks! I felt that this thread was VERY necessary. Women need support. I went to a popular PCOS-related website and the forum was full of negativity - I was almost ready to give up. Sadly, I think many of the women over there already have.

DivaD04

Thanks! I felt that this thread was VERY necessary. Women need support. I went to a popular PCOS-related website and the forum was full of negativity - I was almost ready to give up. Sadly, I think many of the women over there already have.

u're wc...i think if folks were more open minded to any information and/or support they'd realize they can achive the impossible. we think there is no where to turn, no one to talk to, the information seems so far away, but thank God for the internet....and Google. I'm on my way to earning my masters in google:grin:. i think there is always going to be negativity no matter where we go but they are the ones who make it that much more interesting to find the positive. keep up the fight, and i hope to see more women find a home in here.

PassionFruit

my thyroid bloodwork keeps coming back perfect..... However I was diagnosed with Grave's disease( although my own research proves to me that I actually have Hashimoto's thyroiditis) .... apparently I go into remission when Im not pregnant... despite that the symptoms persist... Im a lil leary of taking meds because my thyroid goes extreme on both ends of the spectrum.... Extreme HyPOthyroid then extreme hyPERthyroid.....and since my bloodwork seems OK right now, Im gonna leave well enough alone ( cept for the Kelp)

I dont have PCOS but many hormone issues related to fibroids and some others "female" issues...

Im not diabetic but my current diet stinks...

Im gonna watch/stalk this thread

I recently bought Stevia and am trying to incorporate it into my diet....

I take Kelp supplements when I remember for the thyroid... I have to be more diligent about it

I purchased Saw Palmetto a few days ago...

gonna increase my iron and try to exercise more....

Last edited:

SelfStyled

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 2001, and have been on synthroid ever since. THANK YOU so much for starting this thread!!!! I can relate to all. Someone please tell my why doctors seem to think that just because your blood levels are with in the "correct" range your hairs vitality will return.. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:Uh uh, no siree:nono:. I have battled CONSTANTLY since 2001 to get my hair issues under control. I deal with DRYNESS, SHEDDING and BREAKAGE, no matter what I do.

I stopped going to the hairdresser like 2 years ago because my hair had gotten so thin due to misuse(weaves) and not taking care of it.I was way too depressed with my hair to be dealing with it on a daily basis, so I hid it for 4 years. I always felt like the hairdressers were making fun of me, sad I know. And don't let it be the domincans, I just knew they were speaking Spanish about me, lol. I have given up many times since being diagnosed. In 2007 I found the hair boards, stopped weaving, and started to be more proactive, and started to think maybe I could just turn it all around.

Things were going well, but then I was over processed at the salon and my hair started to break and shed like no tomorrow. That set back really hurt, here I was doing all I could to get my hair healthy and set back yet again.

I gave up hope for a few months but, I'm back:yep:. I did a mini chop in Mar to cut the corrective ends gone bad. I still do have about an inch of bad end, and I will cut them off little by little. I have ramped up my reggie. I have increased my water intake. Started taking more biotin, and also Flaxseed oil. I now do rollersets almost exclusively. In 8 weeks I only flat ironed only once. I have realized that my hair might never be as long or as thick as my hair idols, but that's okay- umma do me. What's for me will be for me and no one can take it away. I rebuke the enemy, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Wheww......that felt so good, to get it all off my chest.

I feel victorious! And my hair is growing back. It is still thin. But I remain hopeful that I can thicken it back up with the right reggie. And I have taken my hair care into my own hands, I haven't completely sworn off stylists, but for now, I would rather do my own hair.

PassionFruit

Someone please tell my why doctors seem to think that just because your blood levels are with in the "correct" range your hairs vitality will return.. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:Uh uh, no siree:nono:. I have battled CONSTANTLY since 2001 to get my hair issues under control. I deal with DRYNESS, SHEDDING and BREAKAGE, no matter what I do.

my last Dr wont do anything unless Im in crisis ( Thyroid storm) ... my levels are all well within normal levels unless Im in crisis or Im pregnant... Im well beyond my baby making days so to get proper treatment, Ive resorted to self-help....

I had a wonderful Dr when Ilived 300 miles away... Im actually gonna make a special trip to see her before I begin any regular homeopathy.... so for now the Kelp will have to do

ETA... also, if ya seem to be having a really bad case of PMS, it may very well be Thyroid Storm.... it resembles mental illness in some ways

Last edited:

InnerSoul

I hope the best for whoever post in this thread with these health issues.
I myself have suspicions of hyperthyroid... both my parents are now diabetic... I can never gain weight and am hungry ALL the time...
I was tested for hypoglycemia but it came back fine. I will go get checked for hyperthyroid one day:look:.. but in the mean time I wish everyone good luck!:kiss:

PassionFruit

I mentioned Hashimoto's thyroiditis in an earlier post.... If ya can get your doctor to specifically test for this ( because IMO, Hyper & Hypo thyroid diagnosis are too general and common as is Grave's disease)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashimoto's_thyroiditis

In many cases, Hashimoto's thyroiditis usually results in hypothyroidism, although in its acute phase, it can cause a transient hyperthyroidism thyrotoxic state known as hash!toxicosis.

Symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis might include symptoms of hyperthyroidism in the early phase of the disease, and then hypothyroidism. goiter. Weight gain, weight loss, depression, mania, fatigue, panic attacks, low pulse, fast pulse, high cholesterol, reactive hypoglycemia, constipation, migraines, memory loss, infertility and hair loss are a few possible symptoms.

SelfStyled

my last Dr wont do anything unless Im in crisis ( Thyroid storm) ... my levels are all well within normal levels unless Im in crisis or Im pregnant... Im well beyond my baby making days so to get proper treatment, Ive resorted to self-help....

I had a wonderful Dr when Ilived 300 miles away... Im actually gonna make a special trip to see her before I begin any regular homeopathy.... so for now the Kelp will have to do

ETA... also, if ya seem to be having a really bad case of PMS, it may very well be Thyroid Storm.... it resembles mental illness in some ways

Your post literally gave me goosebumps, I have never heard of Thyroid Storm before, but it certainly explains alot:look:.

Buttercreme

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago.

My many cystic ovaries frequently caused pain in my pelvis area. I was prescribed glucophage (caused me sickness). My hair was shedding and it was difficult to lose weight. I tend to gain weight around the middle and I was noticing some hypoglycemic episodes.

What really helped me was losing weight. PCOS makes it harder, but I just have to do it. Two years ago I lost 40 lbs and got pregnant on my own.

You looked like you put in alot of hard work and effort to come up with some natural remedies. It's nice to see that I currently take some of these.

Thanks for the support

CocoGlow

I mentioned Hashimoto's thyroiditis in an earlier post.... If ya can get your doctor to specifically test for this ( because IMO, Hyper & Hypo thyroid diagnosis are too general and common as is Grave's disease)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashimoto's_thyroiditis

In many cases, Hashimoto's thyroiditis usually results in hypothyroidism, although in its acute phase, it can cause a transient hyperthyroidism thyrotoxic state known as hash!toxicosis.

Symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis might include symptoms of hyperthyroidism in the early phase of the disease, and then hypothyroidism. goiter. Weight gain, weight loss, depression, mania, fatigue, panic attacks, low pulse, fast pulse, high cholesterol, reactive hypoglycemia, constipation, migraines, memory loss, infertility and hair loss are a few possible symptoms.

That's me ..3 years & counting...:perplexed:wallbash:

EXCELLENT THREAD!!

trecycat

Thank you so much for starting this thread :drunk:. I have been a lurker for the past few months, but this thread alone converted me to a full member. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. Before that, I had been on BC pills to regulate my cycle. I have always been on a constant journey to lose weight and thought that I would have better luck off BC. Well, after I stopped taking BC, my hormones went crazy! I gained more weight(even though I was working out 5 days a week and eating right), never had a period, started losing hair on my head and growing it other places. I felt like I was losing my mind :wallbash:. I've always had thick hair that was past shoulder length and the hair loss is what lead me here.

I am currently taking metformin (diabetic drug) to help with the insulin resistance. This has gotten my cycles to be somewhat regular.
In the past I have taken: spironolactone (anti-androgen), B-complex, saw palmetto, cinnamon, ACV, biotin...

Again, I want to thank you for starting this. Although this condition is very common, not many people (including doctors) are familiar with it. For all those suffering with this, I am a member of another site called soulcysters.com that has a wealth of information on this condition.

PassionFruit

Are any of the ladies losing hair elsewhere.... Im noticing I dont need to shave my arms & legs nearly as much as I used to

trecycat

Has anyone that has PCOS had any luck with hair growth using the popular growth aids mentioned on this forum: MTG, MN, Surge 14, co-washing, etc?

JustKiya

Thank you so much for starting this thread :drunk:. I have been a lurker for the past few months, but this thread alone converted me to a full member. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. Before that, I had been on BC pills to regulate my cycle. I have always been on a constant journey to lose weight and thought that I would have better luck off BC. Well, after I stopped taking BC, my hormones went crazy! I gained more weight(even though I was working out 5 days a week and eating right), never had a period, started losing hair on my head and growing it other places. I felt like I was losing my mind :wallbash:. I've always had thick hair that was past shoulder length and the hair loss is what lead me here.

I am currently taking metformin (diabetic drug) to help with the insulin resistance. This has gotten my cycles to be somewhat regular.
In the past I have taken: spironolactone (anti-androgen), B-complex, saw palmetto, cinnamon, ACV, biotin...

Again, I want to thank you for starting this. Although this condition is very common, not many people (including doctors) are familiar with it. For all those suffering with this, I am a member of another site called soulcysters.com that has a wealth of information on this condition.

Thank you for that. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, but thankfully have not had to deal with the hair loss issue (I suspect my already lowGI diet helped keep things mostly in check), though I DID have to shave my chin for the first time earlier this week. :cry: :bighug: for all of you dealing with hair issues because of health problems....

I'm on metformin now - how long did it take for your cycles to regulate?

NewYorkgyrl

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year. The year before that I did experience a lot of shedding but I do not if that was from the PCOS or if it was because I was transitioning.

The doctor that diagnosed me was very surprised when she saw my hair. She said, "It looks so thick and healthy. Most women with PCOS have a lot of issues with their hair thinning." But then again it turn out that I am one of her most unique cases of PCOS because my lab values are on the EXTREME high but I do not show the syptoms (obesity, hairloss, facial hair, etc...) She is a specialsit in this area and I have heard that she is one of THE best in the country.

Good luck with your hair journey as well as your health. I truly believe their is hope for all of us ladies with PCOS.

ETA: Overall, I think going natural has truly saved my hair!

NewYorkgyrl

And that Metformin made me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo sick that I could not take it. I would take it for two days and then stop for MONTHS and MONTHS. Then take it for 2 days and stope for months and months. This went on all year! I was so sick that I was not able to study and go to school. So I had to stope taking it because I could not afford to not study and fall behind in my medical school classes.

There is a thread in the Off topic section about PCOS as well (not the hair issue though) that many of you ladies may want to check out as well

Cxshortie

Are any of the ladies losing hair elsewhere.... Im noticing I dont need to shave my arms & legs nearly as much as I used to

I wish, I feel like I have to shave more and the chin hair popping up every day is not fun either. MY shedding is insane, like I could make a wig some days.

Flavia

I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago after years of battling the symptoms. I had periods that would send normal people to the hospital because the first thought would be I'm hemorrhaging; 2 rounds of laser hair removal on my face, weight gain even though I ate relatively healthy and worked out 3-5 times a week (including 3 day a week 4 mile military runs), more hair on my floor than in my head, and my skin :nono:, it was the worst symptom because that is what everybody notices first. Uncle Sam and I have literally spent thousands trying to combat my symptoms (the military paid for my laser, accutane, microdermabrasion etc.) I actually diagnosed myself, went to the Dr. and asked her can she do a test. She informed me that there is no definite "test" but there are many clues that will point to it. After all the medication and supplements that I have tried, the only thing that really worked for me was losing weight and that was hard as H#LL. I had to cut back on my carb and meat intake. My periods are now regular and not so heavy, the hair on my face is less noticeable (Even after laser I still had to wax), my skin is the best it has been in years (microdermabrasion, Retin A, and lots of water), and aside from a protein overload I had about two weeks back, my hair is doing O.K.

Last edited:

Nonpareil

Wow, just came back and noticed how much this thread has grown! Hopefully it's comforting to know that you are not alone. I know it is for me.:yep:

My situation is odd. My cycles come on time, and are pretty normal, but the kicker was the sudden weight gain, and the development of the lower belly fat. I also have issues with hair. It makes you angry when you're having issues with the hair on your head shedding, while hair decides that it wants to grow elsewhere. I have to tweeze a chin hair or two every few days. It makes me feel bad because I'm a girly-girl, I don't want ANY male characteristics.

Those of you having issues with metformin and spironolactone will definitely want to consider the natural alternatives (natural supplements for insulin resistance/anti-androgens). I have read about spiro upping your risk of cancer.

And I can't stress this enough - diet and exercise is paramount. You can't "cure" insulin resistance without exercise. All of your meds and supplementation is in vain without it. This is my downfall. I'm housebound and the lack of exercise is a setback.

trecycat

Thank you for that. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, but thankfully have not had to deal with the hair loss issue (I suspect my already lowGI diet helped keep things mostly in check), though I DID have to shave my chin for the first time earlier this week. :cry: :bighug: for all of you dealing with hair issues because of health problems....

I'm on metformin now - how long did it take for your cycles to regulate?

It took a few months of taking my total dosage of metformin before my cycles started to regulate. Mind you, I would usually go about 7 to 8 months without a period, so I considered every 40 days pretty regular for me. My cycles are now within the "normal" range of 28-35 days.

By the way, how are you doing with the side effects of metformin? I'm taking 1,700mg and my body is pretty used to it now, but the first two weeks were a killer!

luckiestdestiny

Okay, I'm a little shocked that some who are diagnosed hypo aren't taking their meds...maybe you're just barely hypo? I don't know. I was diagnosed with graves disease which is hyper thyroidism (you still lose hair by the way). I was given radio active iodine which destroyed my thyroid (was only suppose to slow it down, but the doctor gave me way too much), and I ended up in the hospital and almost died (I was hospitalized for three weeks). You should never ignore hypo thyroidism. I'm now hypo, but I have zero hormone in my body as my thyroid is .001 percent active according to my doctors and will always be. When I was there, they said take my medicine or "I will die". Their words not mine. Thyroid does not just affect your hair if it is at seriously low levels, it affects your brain function, affects your heart, and you can die. Now if you're talking just slightly hypo, sure go out on a limb and take all natural meds. If you're talking serious where your health can be affected to extremes, you need to see a medical professional. There are some that practice all natural alternatives but they can monitor you to make sure you are okay. I never want to end up in the hospital again. My cardiac enzymes were off the chart, and my whole entire body ached (that was besides weight gain), little did I know that a thing called a thyroid could actually cause death if not treated seriously enough. So when I hear people talk about hypo, I ask them how hypo, because sometimes people don't take it seriously anymore because everyone claims to be hypo now. I think if you are slightly, sure take the all natural stuff, if it helps with your hair. I also know that I had to start super moisturizing my hair, as there was no other way to retain the length. I chopped off all my relaxer and was completely bald. After my hair got to ear length, I weaved it up. I just took out the weave (obviously I changed weaves periodically and was a complete drill seargant telling my hairstylist not to brush away madly, or pull and yank as I wanted to grow it out). Fast forward to now that I've taken it out, I have to be extra cautious now that I'm hypo. I have to make sure my moisture levels are up up up. I only wash once a week, so I conditioner wash every other week for extra moisture. Also, I apply only moisturizing dcs, etc...my hair hates protein and will shatter like glass if I use it. I had to relearn how to take care of my hair all over again. Thank God I am finding out what to do, I know a few people with Grave's disease, that went hypo (not as low, but still hypo), and they cut their hair off and keep it short because it's so brittle. So it really needs to be baby(ed).

luckiestdestiny

Also, all natural things that stimulate the thyroid don't work for me, as my thyroid is dead and no longer exists due to radioactive iodine given to me by my doctor. I even went to an acupuncturist, who said they couldn't help me, as they insert needles in your thyroid to get it to function better, but could not do so if your thyroid is dead. It's kinda like having a dead kidney, and you're getting dialysis for instance, you can't restimulate it, it no longer exists, you just have to do dialysis, or get a replacement. In the case of thyroids, I can only take synthroid (lots of it) as a replacement, as nothing that stimulates hormone activity will help me. I am glad it helps others though.

darkangel25

This is the same problem I am having. I have had blood work done on myself after not being able to lose weight, having extremely heavy cycles, experiecing shedding as well as a host of other thyroid symptoms. Turns out I Hashimoto's Thyroiditits, only I cannot find a doctor to treat me.

It has really broken my heart to have lost so much of my progress since my hair has been shedding i have had to keep trimming and trimming. I am taking more supplements now and hopefully I will get this shedding thing under control. I am taking Super B complex, drinking green smoothies, taking flaxseed oil, garlic oil, a multi vitamin, vitamin D and biotin. I am going to try some of the others posted in this thread as well.

But now I am focusing on weightloss as well and that in itself is an uphill battle.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

This is the same problem I am having. I have had blood work done on myself after not being able to lose weight, having extremely heavy cycles, experiecing shedding as well as a host of other thyroid symptoms. Turns out I Hashimoto's Thyroiditits, only I cannot find a doctor to treat me.

It has really broken my heart to have lost so much of my progress since my hair has been shedding i have had to keep trimming and trimming. I am taking more supplements now and hopefully I will get this shedding thing under control. I am taking Super B complex, drinking green smoothies, taking flaxseed oil, garlic oil, a multi vitamin, vitamin D and biotin. I am going to try some of the others posted in this thread as well.

But now I am focusing on weightloss as well and that in itself is an uphill battle.

I hear ya! If your hair is as dry as mine, you'll want to up your moisture. With hashimotos your in the same position as me post radioactive iodine, with really low thyroid levels. You also need a doctor's help! In addition I am going to have to re emphasize DCing you need it. Also low mani, and you can try tea rinsing or coffee rinse. Look them both up, they help with shedding. Our hair will never be the same (sure it can grow, but I've noticed that my hair and skin are super dry no matter what but that's because I have an illness), however you can make it much better (my hair is now mid back and I'm going for waist.That's after buzzing away out of frustration). So you can claim your health back!...and your hair. BTW I know what you mean about heart breaking...the things that apply to others on this forum don't necessarily apply to our situation so to speak. What I mean is that people will say take care of it, etc, but even if you are and you have low hormone, your hair will keep snapping. Let's also not even go into the fact that it is (hashimotos and grave's) autoimmune just like lupus/other auto immunes which attack the system, and that has damaging effects to our system in general. So you will have to baby your hair more than anything.

Last edited: