People with THICK STRANDS & THICK HAIR...

KrystalClear

Specifically 4a/4b hair types.
I have been reading on the boards and haven't really found much info for people with THICK STRANDS/COARSE HAIR. I see plenty for how to make hair thick, and how to make strands thick, and tons of advice for thin strands. I seen plenty on people with thick hair, but I need to see people with THICK STRANDS...

Here are my strands:

I really need help and advice from OTHERS with the SAME thick strands like mine because taking advice from people that don't REALLY have first hand experience don't fully get what my struggles are. :wallbash:

Somebody said that they feel like coarse, thick, stranded hair on people retain length easier because the hair is so strong and take A LOT OF CRAP -- it may be true, but for ME it never was because I have a hard time moisturizing these THICK STRANDS.

My hair DID go through MEGA abuse when I was relaxed and stayed shoulder length. I colored the same day of relaxers, flat ironed a lot, didn't deep condtion or do protein treatments... just A LOT of abuse. So I know it can deal with way more abuse than the typical head of hair...

But back on topic, my hair is soooo thick and coarse...and I have mega issues making sure my ends are SOFT and MOISTURIZED right -- therefore, I can't keep the length that I know I should have!

Just to clarify:

1. My hair is NOT porous, I did the test for the strands letting my hair float in the water.
2. My hair is elastic when wet, and when dry it does not break easy, BUT it doesn't have much elasticity either.

So all my thick stranded ladies and gents, if you have the best technique to keep your strands HAPPY WITH MOISTURE AND SOFTNESS, let me in on your secrets so my hair can be at MBL stretched in no time!!

msa

I'm not thick stranded (I just have regular strands) but I think there was a thread about this around somewhere. I know there was talk about how thick/coarse stranded hair has more cuticle layers and that's why it's difficult to get moisture in sometimes. Oh and that most of the time coarse hair isn't going to feel "soft" like other hair and that people with coarse hair shouldn't necessarily feel discouraged if their hair feels "hard".

Anyway, let me see if I can find it.

ETA: So I couldn't find the thread I was thinking of. But I went back over some different information and this is what I gathered.

Coarse hair has more cuticle layers and they are likely to be tightly bound. The cuticles layers being that way causes low porosity (and inability for moisture to get in or out of the hair strand). That's why it's so hard to get coarse hair moisturized and keep it that way. So basically you would want to do the opposite of what people with high porosity do (because moisture enters and leaves their strands easily, and all their remedies are geared toward keeping the moisture in the strand by closing the cuticles).

So you shouldn't:
Use hair color rinses because they coat the strand by providing another protective layer (which is good for people with high porosity because they have a hard time keeping moisture in the strand).

Use highly acidic products because they are good for closing the cuticle and restricting it (also good for those with high porosity).

Overload on protein products because as the proteins build up it'll make it harder for moisture to get inside.

The main thing it seems like a person with low porosity should do (if they don't want to use a relaxer or other chemical to open the strands) is to deep condition with heat because the heat helps to open the cuticle up a bit. And it's important to use a good a dc with penetrating ingredients that is moisturizing (with at least some protein to help keep the moisture bound to the hair). I've also read that drying the hair with heat can lift the cuticle a bit so maybe using a warm blow dryer to dry the hair, and then applying moisturizer would help as well.

Here's some reading that may help (and helped me draw my conclusions).
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=128190&highlight=porosity

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?bt=39008
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?bt=39201
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?b=8636

Last edited:

KrystalClear

I'm not thick stranded (I just have regular strands) but I think there was a thread about this around somewhere. I know there was talk about how thick/coarse stranded hair has more cuticle layers and that's why it's difficult to get moisture in sometimes. Oh and that most of the time coarse hair isn't going to feel "soft" like other hair and that people with coarse hair shouldn't necessarily feel discouraged if their hair feels "hard".

Hey! Thanks for the post! I know I saw that thread too. But I don't recall any advice on what to do to retain moisture in the strands to help retain length!

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Good thread.:yep: I can definitely relate. I actually have a mixture of strand sizes on my head. In the same area some can look like the strands in the pics you posted and some can are quite fine, but as a whole it's so thick and difficult to handle. The only way my hair stays moisturized is if it's in medium sized twist. Braids or any "out" style leave me dry as hell.

Sorry I can't help.

msa

Good thread.:yep: I can definitely relate. I actually have a mixture of strand sizes on my head. In the same area some can look like the strands in the pics you posted and some can are quite fine, but as a whole it's so thick and difficult to handle. The only way my hair stays moisturized is if it's in medium sized twist. Braids or any "out" style leave me dry as hell.

Sorry I can't help.

I can see why out styles would be bad for coarse/low porosity hair because it already has a hard time with moisture and then leaving it out means more exposure to the air, which will dry up any moisture the hair did have.

I wonder why braids don't work for you but twists do.

Fhrizzball

How would you know if you have thick hair in density? Because the ponytail method I think wouldn't be that accurate for textured hair right? Now my hair isn't scalpy so it's not thin density but at what point does regular density become thick?

Anyways I have regular strands and my density I have no clue about. My hair gets dry quickly though and I know it's not my porosity because henna and acv took care of that. I just have to constantly moisterize my hair. I'm sure the thick haired thick density ladies will come out of the woodwork and contribute because moisture is a constant battle for most I'm guessing.

msa

How would you know if you have thick hair in density? Because the ponytail method I think wouldn't be that accurate for textured hair right? Now my hair isn't scalpy so it's not thin density but at what point does regular density become thick?

Anyways I have regular strands and my density I have no clue about. My hair gets dry quickly though and I know it's not my porosity because henna and acv took care of that. I just have to constantly moisterize my hair. I'm sure the thick haired thick density ladies will come out of the woodwork and contribute because moisture is a constant battle for most I'm guessing.

Well density is just a measure of how many strands you have per a certain area (for example a square inch). I don't know what exactly is considered "thick" though as far as measurement goes...but I know thick haired ladies (high density) have way more strands than the rest of us.

Also, if your hair is still always dry and constantly needs moisture, maybe your porosity issues weren't taken care of by the henna and acv. Constantly dry hair could also be a sign that your hair needs a bit more protein so that the moisture can have something to bind to when you put it on the hair.

Fhrizzball

I wonder why braids don't work for you but twists do.

For me twists feel softer and some reason the moisture doesn't leak out so fast as in braids. With braids I have to moisterize more heavily. Now if they're jumbo size they can be damp for days if done right. More often times than not they aren't though. Twists allow me to deep condition less frequently but I still do braids as well because of longevity issues.

msa

For me twists feel softer and some reason the moisture doesn't leak out so fast as in braids. With braids I have to moisterize more heavily. Now if they're jumbo size they can be damp for days if done right. More often times than not they aren't though. Twists allow me to deep condition less frequently but I still do braids as well because of longevity issues.

That's interesting. I wonder why it is that the twists stay moisturized longer. I would think it'd be about the same since the styles aren't that different.

Hmmm.

Fhrizzball

Well density is just a measure of how many strands you have per a certain area (for example a square inch). I don't know what exactly is considered "thick" though as far as measurement goes...but I know thick haired ladies (high density) have way more strands than the rest of us.

Also, if your hair is still always dry and constantly needs moisture, maybe your porosity issues weren't taken care of by the henna and acv. Constantly dry hair could also be a sign that your hair needs a bit more protein so that the moisture can have something to bind to when you put it on the hair.

Thanks for the input. I usually just have extreme dry issues by my scalp but I worry about buildup if I use heavy leave ins too close to there so I just spritz that area mostly. I do my protein treatment the same day I do my henna so maybe I should try more of that. I have some porosity control that I still need to use so I can try my hand at that to see if it helps. That and since it's getting nippy up here I need to tweak my regime yet again.

nymane

OP I'm 4b/a & my strands are also very thick; in addition to M&S, DC weekly...the number one thing that keeps my hair moisturized is pre-pooing with a cheapy conditioner (Suave Tropical Coconut) for 1-2 hours (this is w/ out heat), co-washing, applying leave-ins, sealing with oil, and air drying in braids.

Now that I'm 12 weeks post relaxer I pre-poo and co-wash 3-4x per week (I shampoo every 10 days or so)...this has really made stretching easy for me. My hair doesn't get matted and it's very soft & manageable.

Neith

Most of my strands are thick just like that. I should take pics :giggle:

What helps me is Deep Conditioning twice a week. Really helps to keep the moisture content up for me.

My hair likes thick, shea butter based conditioners. Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose works very well :up: I am currently using lustrasilk shea butter and mango cholesterol.

Also, coconut oil. I find that it truly penetrates into the hair and conditions and softens :yep: I do weekly hot oil treatments with it.

Basically, bathe your hair in moisture :) I shampoo only once a week with a gentle shampoo. - Thinking of extending that to once every two weeks with more co washing inbetween. I deep condition with every co wash.

KrystalClear

ETA: So I couldn't find the thread I was thinking of. But I went back over some different information and this is what I gathered.

Coarse hair has more cuticle layers and they are likely to be tightly bound. The cuticles layers being that way causes low porosity (and inability for moisture to get in or out of the hair strand). That's why it's so hard to get coarse hair moisturized and keep it that way. So basically you would want to do the opposite of what people with high porosity do (because moisture enters and leaves their strands easily, and all their remedies are geared toward keeping the moisture in the strand by closing the cuticles).

So you shouldn't:
Use hair color rinses because they coat the strand by providing another protective layer (which is good for people with high porosity because they have a hard time keeping moisture in the strand).

Use highly acidic products because they are good for closing the cuticle and restricting it (also good for those with high porosity).

Overload on protein products because as the proteins build up it'll make it harder for moisture to get inside.

The main thing it seems like a person with low porosity should do (if they don't want to use a relaxer or other chemical to open the strands) is to deep condition with heat because the heat helps to open the cuticle up a bit. And it's important to use a good a dc with penetrating ingredients that is moisturizing (with at least some protein to help keep the moisture bound to the hair). I've also read that drying the hair with heat can lift the cuticle a bit so maybe using a warm blow dryer to dry the hair, and then applying moisturizer would help as well.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair

Hey thank you! When I get home on a computer I will read all the links! I recently flat ironed my hair and its wayyyy softer,but my ends seem weak now. Could they need protein? I tried applying a texturizer once. Do your think my hair now needs some protein on the weakened parts??

aegis

i just find i have to moisturize all the time. like day and night. clarifying helps. my hair can stay soft in outs but i have to moisturize and seal with jane carter nourish and shine. my hair likes heavy butters.

MonPetite

Checking in. My hair's nearly indestructible, dense and thick in strand and density.

I use moisturizing leave-ins daily, often use conditioner as a leave-in and currently give my hair warm water rinses twice daily (AT LEAST once) and co-wash (with one of those said rinses) daily. I don't deep condition presently.

ActionActress

I have the same problem. That is why I don't braid my hair. I always twist it and it stays moist. It is also easier to moisturize if I need to go back and do it. Twists are much softer and retain moisture balance better for me. They stretch better if I want to put them in a ponytail anbd they move better, braids are too stiff. LOL.

toyagurl

I have huge strands so I hope that some of the suggestions here will help me out. I have been doing Patchouli85's deep conditioning method and I think it is helping my new growth tremendously.

locabouthair

So you shouldn't:

THANK YOU MSA! Everything you said was on point. I do use color rinses though. I dont think I wanna give them up :look: I swear I have the coarsest hair known to man. I HAVE to moisturize every day. and my hair can feel "hard" at times. People have said that my hair cut them :lol: My old hairdresser had the nerve to ask me why my hair feels so wiry. Sometimes I look at my strands in amazement, like how is this even possible :lol:

I'm convinced people with coarse hair are the minority. I used to get jealous of the fine haired girls. It seemed like they retain length so easily. People dont know that coarse hair can snap off easily because it's so prone to feeling hard and dry.

Hey thank you! When I get home on a computer I will read all the links! I recently flat ironed my hair and its wayyyy softer,but my ends seem weak now. Could they need protein? I tried applying a texturizer once. Do your think my hair now needs some protein on the weakened parts??

See the same thing happened to me. I flat ironed one time and my hair was so much smoother. I just cant accept that I need to use heat for my hair to feel good.:ohwell: I dont know about you OP but I CANNOT airdry. Whenever I do it makes my hair VERY dry, hard and it feels much coarser. I usually dry under a hooded dryer or blow dry on cool air.

I used Joico moisture conditioner and the first time it made me hair feel wonderful!! Then the next two times it didnt do much for me. Its weird. I'm gonna keep trying it.

I believe coarse hair can be soft but IME it doesnt stay soft for long. I accepted that my hair will always be prone to dryness. But I WILL meet my goals:yep:

Thanks for starting this thread OP.

virtuenow

I have very thick strands of hair- think about the thickness of thread (well, maybe not that thick). It seems more important what I do when my hair is in its dry state than when I wash or condition it. No matter what happens with the way I wash/cond or kind of wash/cond I use, it is always very dry and crispy when it gets to the dry phase.

Wet Hair Help:

However, I recently added in another step tried ACV rinse - along w/Fermodyl leave in cond immediately after my wash/cond. I know someone said that doesn't help thick-stranded 4b's but it may be the extra step some of us need!

Dry Hair Help:

My daily hair treatment has been of the utmost importance. Only the thickest of hair butters penetrates and softens my hair. I make up a concoction that is much like "jeri curl juice". Elasta QP mango butter alone or mixed with extra virgin coconut oil is awesome. Makes my hair feel like silk. A new mix I found, unrefined shea butter mixed with coconut oil---> excellent for this thick, thick hair. Hair should be drenched in these products daily. My hair drinnks it up like milk. We have strong hair not wimpy hair that requires a little bit of product. You have to really melt and slather enough product in your hair with consideration for the thick strandness!

Wash/Cond:

Thick creamy conditioner-- focus on co-wash w/heat and pre-poos w/coconut oil. However, I find that you just can't do it that often. AS in DAILY! Or even once a week-- it just dries the hair out. I guess you have to decide but I cannot relate to that amount of washing without losing tons of hair; and snap outs from dryness.

Last edited:

ladybuddafly

As a fellow thick haired lady, I can relate to the lack of moisture thing. My hair dries easily, but I think I've finally found a workable system. I've found that co-washing 2x a week, prepooing, and DCing along with it have softened my hair tremendously. I've been using Taliah Waajid protective mist and it has worked wonders. When I want a more curly look, I use Parevu leave-in for extra dry hair. That stuff works wonders. I have noticed a significant difference in my hair.

Thanks for this thread, because it answered alot of questions I had. One more question though, can someone tell me if you DC after doing the ACV rinse?

KrystalClear

I didn't really realize how dense my hair was until people kept telling me. It is hard for me to see my scalp when I part my hair. It takes a while for the water in the shower to actually touch my scalp...You NEVER see my scalp when styled unless an actual part was made. I think that's how I can tell that hair is dense. No scalp showing.

KrystalClear

OP I'm 4b/a & my strands are also very thick; in addition to M&S, DC weekly...the number one thing that keeps my hair moisturized is pre-pooing with a cheapy conditioner (Suave Tropical Coconut) for 1-2 hours (this is w/ out heat), co-washing, applying leave-ins, sealing with oil, and air drying in braids.

Now that I'm 12 weeks post relaxer I pre-poo and co-wash 3-4x per week (I shampoo every 10 days or so)...this has really made stretching easy for me. My hair doesn't get matted and it's very soft & manageable.

Soooo I REALLY need to up my moisturizing process!
PrePoos, Co-washing, moisturizing leave ins, and air drying?
What about days I flat iron? What type of leave in do you recommend because obviously water (which i know is my best moisturizer) will make my hair revert.

Thank yu for the advice! :yep:

KrystalClear

Most of my strands are thick just like that. I should take pics :giggle:

What helps me is Deep Conditioning twice a week. Really helps to keep the moisture content up for me.

My hair likes thick, shea butter based conditioners. Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose works very well :up: I am currently using lustrasilk shea butter and mango cholesterol.

Also, coconut oil. I find that it truly penetrates into the hair and conditions and softens :yep: I do weekly hot oil treatments with it.

Basically, bathe your hair in moisture :) I shampoo only once a week with a gentle shampoo. - Thinking of extending that to once every two weeks with more co washing inbetween. I deep condition with every co wash.

I think I may have a try with your routine. I don't have the lustrasilk butter or mango cholesterol, but I do have The AOHSR & unrefined shea butter. What about the days I want straight styles, what do you suggest as leave ins so my hair doesnt revert back?

KrystalClear

Checking in. My hair's nearly indestructible, dense and thick in strand and density.

I use moisturizing leave-ins daily, often use conditioner as a leave-in and currently give my hair warm water rinses twice daily (AT LEAST once) and co-wash (with one of those said rinses) daily. I don't deep condition presently.

warm water rinses, do explain! I heard that warm water is drying to hair and cold was better? Is this false?

KrystalClear

THANK YOU MSA! Everything you said was on point. I do use color rinses though. I dont think I wanna give them up :look: I swear I have the coarsest hair known to man. I HAVE to moisturize every day. and my hair can feel "hard" at times. People have said that my hair cut them :lol: My old hairdresser had the nerve to ask me why my hair feels so wiry. Sometimes I look at my strands in amazement, like how is this even possible :lol:

I'm convinced people with coarse hair are the minority. I used to get jealous of the fine haired girls. It seemed like they retain length so easily. People dont know that coarse hair can snap off easily because it's so prone to feeling hard and dry.

See the same thing happened to me. I flat ironed one time and my hair was so much smoother. I just cant accept that I need to use heat for my hair to feel good.:ohwell: I dont know about you OP but I CANNOT airdry. Whenever I do it makes my hair VERY dry, hard and it feels much coarser. I usually dry under a hooded dryer or blow dry on cool air.

I used Joico moisture conditioner and the first time it made me hair feel wonderful!! Then the next two times it didnt do much for me. Its weird. I'm gonna keep trying it.

I believe coarse hair can be soft but IME it doesnt stay soft for long. I accepted that my hair will always be prone to dryness. But I WILL meet my goals:yep:

Thanks for starting this thread OP.

lol, I look at my strands the SAME way! Like one of the strands in my picture, it is so thick to me. I have noticed the hair on my body period is extra thick. It's amazing! And I agree that THICK stranded people are def the minority. I have ALWAYS had issues retaining length to my hair, I just can't seem to figure it out. I did the porosity test, try DC, hot oil, butters, EO's, cowashing... and so many other things. My hair has had it's softer days, and it does feel WONDERFUL when wet... but once dry, DUN DUN DUN! lol

And the flat ironing thing, it's not fair because I honestly don't want to iron THAT much. Buttt if I can retain better length this way, then so be it. My iron is awesome, but I don't want to mess my ends up, I hate how weak they are. Is that a sign of needing protein or moisture?:perplexed

KrystalClear

Have any of you ladies experienced DRYNESS with coconut oil? And the ladies that recommended coconut oil as a prepoo, how long do you leave it on? And with cowashing, do you notice any BUILDup on your scalp? I do! Am I doing something wrong, applying too thickly? This thick stranded hair is confusing!

Fine 4s

Have any of you ladies experienced DRYNESS with coconut oil? And the ladies that recommended coconut oil as a prepoo, how long do you leave it on? And with cowashing, do you notice any BUILDup on your scalp? I do! Am I doing something wrong, applying too thickly? This thick stranded hair is confusing!

Not a thick-stranded gal here but I do use coconut oil...

I melted the CO, applied it generously to each sectioned hair (11). I had to re-melt the CO cuz my application was too slow and the CO hardened, so keep that in mind.

After I applied it on my whole head, I sat under the hairdryer until my whole head was warm/hot. I think you should keep the oil on for at least 1 hour before washing it out.

I untangled in the shower under running water. Detangling was a breeze.

Didn't notice any product buildup but then again I clarified with diluted Kenra 'poo.