People with THICK STRANDS & THICK HAIR...

KrystalClear

Not a thick-stranded gal here but I do use coconut oil...

I melted the CO, applied it generously to each sectioned hair (11). I had to re-melt the CO cuz my application was too slow and the CO hardened, so keep that in mind.

After I applied it on my whole head, I sat under the hairdryer until my whole head was warm/hot. I think you should keep the oil on for at least 1 hour before washing it out.

I untangled in the shower under running water. Detangling was a breeze.

Didn't notice any product buildup but then again I clarified with diluted Kenra 'poo.

Thank you for the input! So... stupid question, did you dilute and wash after the prepoo of coconut oil? Or did you wash then do the coconut oil and then wash after that?

I read that coconut oil helps retain protein, if somebody needs more moisture is that a good thing that it's retaining protein too?

LunadeMiel

Checking in. My strands are thick and my hair densely packed. It's a blessing and a curse. Co-washing has really helped to keep my hair moisturized.

Neith

Am I the only one that finds that my hair doesn't readily accept moisture, but once it's moisturized, it stays moisturized for a long time?

For my hair, it works both ways. The same tightly closed cuticles that shut water out - shut the water in once I actually get in in there. :lol: My hair stays moisturized for days after a deep conditioning...

I've never noticed any dryness from coconut oil. I also keep it in for an hour before washing. I melt it in the microwave for 20 seconds, apply it, put on a cap and let it sit (I don't put any additional heat on it). It conditions, softens and adds shine for me.

I never noticed any build up from co washing. I also apply my conditioners with a heavy hand, I can't get my fingers through my hair otherwise. :giggle:

Although, I do not use any conditioner that has cones, petroleum or mineral oil. That helps with build up.

meecee

Good thread.:yep: I can definitely relate. I actually have a mixture of strand sizes on my head. In the same area some can look like the strands in the pics you posted and some can are quite fine, but as a whole it's so thick and difficult to handle. The only way my hair stays moisturized is if it's in medium sized twist. Braids or any "out" style leave me dry as hell.

Sorry I can't help.

My hair is a mixture too. I'd say 60-70% of my head is coarse, thick strands. My hair density is medium though. The thicker strands are deceiving. Braidouts leave my hair dry as all get out by the end of the day. I never wear braidouts 2 days in a row because of this. Its also very hot in the summer and dry where I live, so I don't wear my hair out in the summer.

OP I'm 4b/a & my strands are also very thick; in addition to M&S, DC weekly...the number one thing that keeps my hair moisturized is pre-pooing with a cheapy conditioner (Suave Tropical Coconut) for 1-2 hours (this is w/ out heat), co-washing, applying leave-ins, sealing with oil, and air drying in braids.

Now that I'm 12 weeks post relaxer I pre-poo and co-wash 3-4x per week (I shampoo every 10 days or so)...this has really made stretching easy for me. My hair doesn't get matted and it's very soft & manageable.

I second the use of cheap conditioners for coarse hair. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried V05 strawberry smoothy conditioner. I don't prepoo with it, I actually use it as a daily moisturizer. I seal with Vitamin E oil or olive oil. My hair has NEVER EVER EVER been this moisturized. I'm going to try cowashing with it when it gets warmer.

This thread is right on time. Msa, I'm gonna try to start deep conditioning with heat. I'll be getting a dome dryer soon. I think this is the missing link in my hair regimen. Maybe this will also lessen my desire to chop off 3-4 inches. I'm currently mid-back length and frustrated with my hair.

meecee

Msa, you also mentioned that coarse hair has the opposite problem of hair that has high porosity. I never would have thought of that. I really couldn't figure out why my hair was so dry all the time despite deep conditioning regularly, moisturizing daily, and protective styling. It all makes sense now.

I even did a porosity test on my hair. Of course that wasn't the problem. I've been dumbfounded until now.

Fine 4s

One thing that has always been a challenge for me to understand is how does one determine which step to take in order to solve a dryness problem.
Do we up the protein (to solve the mushy hair, lack of strength) or up the moisturizer (too lack elasticity, too brittle) OR do both because on a protein deficient strand moisture has nowhere to bond on the hair. The last option seems more complicated to diagnose. Then throw in the porosity measure, which also contributes to how moisture is retained in the hair strands, by then I’m lost.

Can someone lay it out for me like I’m 5?

classychic1908

Natural, thick stranded lady checking in. I find that my hair loves water based moisture and moisturizing gels really lock in that moisture.
Because, gel reduces the frizz and helps to smooth my hair,it actually helps to protect my hair against breakage becaue the gel encourages my strands to work together. I find that airdrying in twists or plaits helps moisture retention as well.

Most oils do little more than sit on my head making an oily dry mess. Oil rinsing, hot oil treatments, do nothing for me. Castor oil on wet hair is the exception.
Now if my hair is straightened oils like coconut seem to penetrate my hair better.

KrystalClear

Am I the only one that finds that my hair doesn't readily accept moisture, but once it's moisturized, it stays moisturized for a long time?

For my hair, it works both ways. The same tightly closed cuticles that shut water out - shut the water in once I actually get in in there. :lol: My hair stays moisturized for days after a deep conditioning...

I've never noticed any dryness from coconut oil. I also keep it in for an hour before washing. I melt it in the microwave for 20 seconds, apply it, put on a cap and let it sit (I don't put any additional heat on it). It conditions, softens and adds shine for me.

I never noticed any build up from co washing. I also apply my conditioners with a heavy hand, I can't get my fingers through my hair otherwise. :giggle:

Although, I do not use any conditioner that has cones, petroleum or mineral oil. That helps with build up.

As I type this I am about to prepoo my hair. I had it straight for a few days (sig picture) & I am ready to get some moisture locked in and see if this coconut oil is the truth! I may have been doing it wrong.

KrystalClear

One thing that has always been a challenge for me to understand is how does one determine which step to take in order to solve a dryness problem.
Do we up the protein (to solve the mushy hair, lack of strength) or up the moisturizer (too lack elasticity, too brittle) OR do both because on a protein deficient strand moisture has nowhere to bond on the hair. The last option seems more complicated to diagnose. Then throw in the porosity measure, which also contributes to how moisture is retained in the hair strands, by then I’m lost.

Can someone lay it out for me like I’m 5?

This is a good question.

I have been wondering the same thing.

I know there are tests to see which it needs, but what if you give it what it "needs" and it still is weak and breaks when handling? My hair isn't mushy or anything, butttt it does seem like my ends are still weak... but I always thought I was protein sensitive. I'm testing the protein because I'm desperate. I'm going to pre-poo with coconut oil for 30 min w/heat, then wash, then DC with AOHSR w/castor oil in it. Hope this works. I know I can be APL soon , my hair grows fast.. it's this dang retention I'm having issues with.:spinning:

vkb247

I just "straightened" my hair and besides the blow dry spray and serum I only have coconut oil in my hair. I always put this in my hair before anything else and was surprised at how much moisture I have just from this. Before I straightened I did an oil soak the night before and I was surprised how moist my hair was after I added the coconut oil. My dry hair could move around like it does if I spray water on it.

Coconut oil prevents your hair from losing protein but what that means is that it prevents little pieces of your cuticle from breaking off when combing and other manipulation.

I only have very coarse hair in the center of my head and I have come to the conclusion that it will never feel the way the rest of my hair feels when its moisturized even though it is moisturized.

Chevelure618

I have thick strands and thick hair. I need to moisturize 3 times a day and my hair is in great condition now. I have a regimen down pat and use Roux Porosity control.

I use Ultra Black Hair Moisturizer. It is heavy and keeps my ends moist and soft.

KrystalClear

I have thick strands and thick hair. I need to moisturize 3 times a day and my hair is in great condition now. I have a regimen down pat and use Roux Porosity control.

I use Ultra Black Hair Moisturizer. It is heavy and keeps my ends moist and soft.

Is this a natural product? I try to stay away from things that have too many cones unless it's a cowash and I plan to wash it out. But my leave ins are natural (shea , castor and water) And is your hair porous? Mine isn't.