Perfect Twistout

Loves Harmony

What do you use to acheive the perfect braid or twistout? Im looking for a new product to define the pattern and also moisturizing.

I've been on the quest for this very same thing for a while. I prefer to use products that I can easily find in store. Last year, I received a full sized 5 oz sample of Redken Curl Boulce Curl Wise14 Curl Defining Cream for Coarse Hair. This stuff is the bomb! So much so that I will be repurchasing this. It retails for $12.95 and a little goes a long way. Used in conjunction with my shea butter mix, I consistently got these results:

I recently stumbled across a couple of products from got 2 be that are proving to be top contenders as well. They're Spiking putty
41T1%2BhMmZGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg is similar in consistency and hold to the Redken. But a little goes a very long way. Gives a soft hold and fluffy defined twist outs. This stuff is great for edges too. Especially on type 3 hair. I used it on my 2 year old that has fine 3A/3B curls and her ponytails held for days without a bit of frizz or flyaway. They have another product that I've recently tried that has Shea Butter as the 4th ingredient and is similar in consistency to a sticky, smooth whipped shea butter, that worked well too.
41mebDgZ-JL._SL500_AA300_.jpgI really liked this, but I've only tried it once so far.

You'll probably get lots of responses. All in all, it's up to what combo works best for your hair as well as technique. I've also had good twistouts with Cantu Shea Butter Leave in ( I don't use much anymore because it leaves my hair feeling heavy and coated), I've heard people get great results from Garnier Curl Defining Cream, but it didn't hold well for me.

I love twists and use my shea butter mixture to twist it. To keep them mositurized I spray my hair with water, apply a little leave-in, and use coconut oil to seal.

@NewlyNaturalAgain's hair..........:drool:

Conditioner w/ water for moisture and unrefined shea butter for hold, works well for me. Lately I've been using water and Cantu shea butter leave-in.

Last edited:
I recently purchased Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue at Target. My only complain is that I noticed flaking...I have to figure out what is causing this because this was the only product that I used to twist my hair. Other than that, it does the job.

I just tried my first twist out and the results were nice as far as softness.Now I must get better with twisting...LOL
Product blend...
melt 3 tablespoons of shea butter
4 tablespoons of IC Fantasia gel
1 tablespoon of coconut oil,
1 teaspoon olive oil

I've been on the quest for this very same thing for a while. I prefer to use products that I can easily find in store. Last year, I received a full sized 5 oz sample of Redken Curl Boulce Curl Wise14 Curl Defining Cream for Coarse Hair. This stuff is the bomb! So much so that I will be repurchasing this. It retails for $12.95 and a little goes a long way. Used in conjunction with my shea butter mix, I consistently got these results:

I recently stumbled across a couple of products from got 2 be that are proving to be top contenders as well. They're Spiking putty
View attachment 98939 is similar in consistency and hold to the Redken. But a little goes a very long way. Gives a soft hold and fluffy defined twist outs. This stuff is great for edges too. Especially on type 3 hair. I used it on my 2 year old that has fine 3A/3B curls and her ponytails held for days without a bit of frizz or flyaway. They have another product that I've recently tried that has Shea Butter as the 4th ingredient and is similar in consistency to a sticky, smooth whipped shea butter, that worked well too.
View attachment 98941I really liked this, but I've only tried it once so far.

You'll probably get lots of responses. All in all, it's up to what combo works best for your hair as well as technique. I've also had good twistouts with Cantu Shea Butter Leave in ( I don't use much anymore because it leaves my hair feeling heavy and coated), I've heard people get great results from Garnier Curl Defining Cream, but it didn't hold well for me.

OMG< your hair is gorgeous!

Throughout the years, I have used different products for my twistouts. The main product I have used has been Aussie Moist Conditioner. I just recently started using grease for my twistouts which has worked great. There was also a time where I have tried hair lotion, I think it was that BB Oil Moisturizer. It was good too.

I just did my first twist out this past weekend and I used Organic Root Stimulator Hair Pudding and to my suprise it turned out really well. It is day 4 and my hair still looks good. It does not harden the hair and no flaking but the curls are really defined. I like it.

I like IC Fantasia gel for twists done on wet hair and Donna Marie Dream Curling Cream for twists done on barely damp/dry hair.

I was desperately trying to get a good twistout on my natural hair.
Finally got one.
Lottabody Setting lotion (diluted) Used in conjunction with Bee Mine Curly butter & got these results:
twistoutLf-vi.jpg

IMG_4517-vi.jpg

I just use a bit of product (HELTR leave in mixed with evoo and co) and twist on wet hair. When it's dry, I just take the twists out and it turns out pretty decent.

@ Mook :drool: girl.... your siggy pics are awesome. Come do muh grass!!! lol

When I use too much of the Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue is when I experience flaking. I had to adjust the amount I used and now it is perfect. This product works GREAT for my flat twist outs. It defines and holds for at least 3-4 days.

Back