Perm to Natural to Texturizer

bld

I grew my perm out and had it all cut off a couple months ago b/c I was tired of putting chemicals in my hair...I was wearing a short and kinky...My hair is natruallly curly. My goal is to have it press once a month once it gets some length to it...My hairdresser suggested I get a texturizer to give it some style, shine, and to straighten it...I was totally against it b/c felt it defeated the purpose. She said a texturizer is different from a perm and didn't have that much chemicals...I decided to go for it...Now I am upset b/c I feel like it defeats the purpose if I want to be totally natural again I am going to have to cut the texturizer off and start over..... Will my hair break over once I grown this texturizer out and get it pressed? Any Suggestions or Comments

I have been wearing a wig for the past three months b/c I don't know what to do w/ my hair anymore...I tried cornrow braids for a week and they hurt and didn't last.. I don't like this short curly afro I have......

Any suggestions?

babyblue

[ QUOTE ]
bld said:
My hairdresser suggested I get a texturizer to give it some style, shine, and to straighten it...I was totally against it b/c felt it defeated the purpose. She said a texturizer is different from a perm and didn't have that much chemicals...

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

She's a liar. A texturizer and a relaxer are the same thing. A texturizer is just a relaxer left on for shorter period of time so that the hair doesnt become totally straight. The only difference is the amount of processing time not the chemical composition.

If you decide to grow it out you would have to transition all over again just like you did with your previous relaxer

Its your decision, but my suggestion is that you learn to care for your natural hair. pressing is still a good option for your natural hair but be aware that too much heat can cause your curls to become limp over time.

Maybe you should try conditioner washes to increase managability. do a search for some natural threads to find product suggestions and techniques. A good natural hair site is nappturality.com. I hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
babyblue said:
[ QUOTE ]
bld said:
My hairdresser suggested I get a texturizer to give it some style, shine, and to straighten it...I was totally against it b/c felt it defeated the purpose. She said a texturizer is different from a perm and didn't have that much chemicals...

Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

She's a liar. A texturizer and a relaxer are the same thing. A texturizer is just a relaxer left on for shorter period of time so that the hair doesnt become totally straight. The only difference is the amount of processing time not the chemical composition.

If you decide to grow it out you would have to transition all over again just like you did with your previous relaxer

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd say try working with your natural texture for a while. Your hair is probably just at an awkward length, but give it time; it'll grow out. You should be able to get at least 6 inches each year. Also from my personal experience, I think natural hair takes better to the pressing comb than texturized hair, but that's just what I've seen with my hair. I do know texturized hair can be drier and not as strong as natural hair, so don't make any decisions too hastily. If you decide to texturize, go into the decision knowing that you might have to start all over again. If you're not willing to do that---don't texturize. Just my 2 cents.