Permanent Hair Colors

nita4

Does anyone use this? If you do, are you experiencing any problems? Reason I ask is because I did this past weekend and well...now I'm scared. I normally use a temporary color once a year to enhance my natural hair color or in the past I used jazzing but...once these wash out they turn what few gray hairs I have an ugly orangish color. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif I used the Clairol's Textures and Tones for women of color and for relaxed hair.

deon19

I but a permanent color in my hair last June. The color was real pretty but when the color wore off SO DID MY HAIR. My hairdresser told me that it would change the texture of my hair and it did. My hair went for full and pretty to thin and I do not have thin haid. Not super thin but for my hair it was thin. I am in the process of repair know and it has gotten a whole lot better. I would suggest that you should
1. Use a reconstutor every two weeks
2. And deep cond on the reg.
These are things that I did not do . Because it not that Perment Color will eat your hair up . /images/graemlins/whip.gif

Nikki

nita4,
I have used permanent colors in the past... I went through so many colors... and I have had so many experiences,, but i always end up going back to black.... I don't think it hurts to color your hair just as long as you are dedicated to deep conditoning your hair and taking care of your ends.. but keep in mind that the lighter the color the more damaging it is to your hair...

nita4

Oh My Gosh!! I definately, don't need that. I knew I should have paged Tracy prior to doing this or either left it alone /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

Okay, I did an Aphogee protein treatment afterwards. So, now I'll just have to deep condition more often.

Okay someone please explain this...isn't a deep conditioner and a reconstructor the same thing? They are both protein right? /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Compassion

Hey Nita! So sorry to hear this about your hair my friend. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I had color put in my hair once before. They streaked it actually. I am sad to say, that the streaks eventually broke off. BUT, my hair dressor stopped it with protein treatments and constant moisturizing. After that, it just grew out and he trimmed it as it grew closer to my ends. You know all about protein and moisturizing from being a member here. It will be okay. Just really give your hair some extra attention and you'll be okay. Please let me know how you progress.

Blessings,

Compassion

VALLEYGIRL

Hi Nita
I wouldn't worry just yet...I have used Textures and Tones several times and never had any problems.Last spring I used the lighest blonde and two weeks ago I used the Cocoa Brown to darken the highlights that were turning brassy orange. Deep conditioning won't hurt but don't stress if you haven't seen any signs of damage. The Textures and Tones is a great product and it is very mild and conditioning with Elasticom with no ammonia.
I believe Tracy and SVT also use Textures and Tones with no horror stories.

HTH

Valleygirl

nita4

Thanks Nikki, I think I'll be okay as long as I keep it well conditioned. I only use a brown color once a year. I actually like my handful of gray hair, but my own color tends to look drabby after a while.

Hi Compassion! /images/graemlins/wave.gif /images/graemlins/wave.gif How you doing? I'm sorry that I didn't consult someone before I did this. Oh well, I won't let this set me back. I'll just have to condition the heck out of my hair.

VALLEYGIRL

I also read on one of these boards that store brought box colors are not as harsh and as damaging to your hair as professional colors found in the salons. So don't worry...besides didn't you say that you usually color your hair once a year to enhance your natural color? Did you have any other problems besides the grey hair turning orange? DONT WORRY UNNECESSARILY!!!! The stress from worrying will have a worse effect on your hair than the hair color will. Relax!!!

Valleygirl

Lindy

Well, I've used haircolor for years, both permanent and semi-permanent. Of course, the permanent color is more damaging than the semi, but the Textures & Tones, even though it is considered permanent, doesn't contain any ammonia, which is the chief culprit in drying your hair out.

The past 3 times I colored my hair, I used the Textures & Tones (only on my dark roots - I don't bring it down to the ends) and I haven't noticed any negative effects. I deep condition every time I wash my hair, and I do protein treatments maybe once a month or so.

I'm sure your hair will be fine! Just do lots of conditioning, and protein treatments as needed (if you're noticing more breakage than usual).

HTH!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

nita4

Okay, this is positive. I tried to research my hair colors before I bought this. I wanted to make sure it conditioned and that it was for relaxed hair. But, afterwards when I did a rollerset my ends started snapping off. So, I immediately put a protein treatment in my hair. The snapping has ceased. I was just a little worried that maybe my hair was getting ready to shed or break off like crazy. /images/graemlins/confused.gif And if possible I wanted to try and prevent that from happening.

nita4

Okay Valleygirl, point well taken...if I keep it up...I won't have any hair to color... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kitkat

Hi Nita! Please keep us posted on your experience with permanent color. I have thought about doing this myself, but have always been scared off because my hair is so dry to begin with. Wishing you well on your color journey! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

deon19

Nita4
I am sorry if I scared you. I used one of Feiria colors and that just what happend to me . I do know that with a permanent color you do have to treat you hair more. I do not think that it is a difference between salon and store brought. But you should be O.K if you take care of it from the begaining

G

I have a permanent hair color, but it is not the boxed kind. I buy the little bottle, and the hairdresser does her magic with it. My hair doesn't break at all, nor fade.

G

Havent had much problems with hair coloring. Just remember to condition, condition, condition! And deep condition some more. The only real time I had a problem was with that nasty bleach my EX-stylist put in my hair. She bleached it with an extra fast acting bleach not once. .. but twice.. then recolored with blonde... /images/graemlins/mad.gif I dont know what I was thinking to let her do that to my hair. Needless to say it broke.. MUCH! I had 2inches below my shoulders and it broke off to 3inchs off my scalp in some places. I had to do a major cut, and color (back to basic black) and swore off bleaching for the rest of my life.

Good news though.. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I managed to get my hair back to below shoulder lenght were it currently is now.

Tracy

Hey Nita,

Not to worry. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Your hair will be a tad weaker than it was before coloring but it will not start snapping off uncontrollably if you take care of it! Especially if you used Textures and Tones. The only reason I would see this happening is if your hair had some sort of specific aversion to permie color - which we as yet have no real evidence of (trust me - I know the signs of hair that is really really tweaking from color - doesn't sound like you're there yet). You did the right thing by making sure tho - better to be safe (and get whatever info you need) than sorry!

Whenever I color my hair I use protein immediately after and then every time I wash, followed by a moisturizing conditioner of course) for two weeks. After that I do a protein conditioner once every two weeks religiously. I also wait to relax for longer than I normally would to avoid overlapping the chemicals too much. Coloring and relaxing the hair compromises the hair strands' integrity. But not irreparably so. If you build the strength of the hair back up with protein your hair can thrive even with relaxing and coloring. If you follow with moisture you will get the benefits of the protein with none of the adverse affects.

Deep conditioning and protein conditioning CAN be the same things - but not necessarily. I consider "deep conditioning" to just mean leaving whatever conditioner you are using on long enough for maximum penetration. Whether protein or moisture. I feel that seperating them as protein and moisture conditioners is a more accurate distinction. A conditioner with protein as one of the first 5 ingredients on the ingredient list is what I consider to be a "protein conditioner" - everything else is a moisturizing conditioner. Also moisturizing conditioners for me MUST have slip or they are useless to me and my hair. I would consider recontructors and protein conditioners to be the same - with the term "deep conditioning" really referring more to the time you leave it on than the type of conditioner used (with some exceptions - clearly we don't mean instant conditioners here that say to leave them on for a minute or two). Protein can be broken down into concentrated proteins (like Aphoghee, Nexxus Emergencee and Dudley's DRC48 or whatever it called) and regular protein conditioners like Dudley's Hair Rebuilder, Nexxus Keraphix and those kinds of formulas. I refer to those as creamy protein conditioners or reconstructors - terms I use interchangeably.

That said I recommend a concentrated protein ASAP (Aphoghee, Nexxus and the like - unless you've already done one). Thereafter, I'd do a regular (once every two weeks) creamy protein followed by a moisturizing conditioner with slip. For color, I recommend regularly using Feria Color Moisturizing Treatment as your post protein conditioner to retain moisture and make sure your hair stays pliable (it has cones tho, so if you dislike these stay away). Works wonders. Ask Nyambura! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry so long girl. Whew. I need a nap. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Lol

Me thinks mine was bleached too. It wouldn't lift to the desired color, so I was given a "booster." Heheheee! The funny part is, I got my hair dyed twice in 4 weeks recently. But my hair is doing GREAT and growing like crazy! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kitkat

Nita, if you're looking for a good protein/moisturizing conditioner combo, I use Dudley's Hair Rebuilder after every wash followed by Motions Moisture Plus conditioner. The Hair Rebuilder has brought my hair back to life!! And you can't beat the slip from Motions Moisture Plus. /images/graemlins/smile.gif For concentrated protein conditioners, Aubreys GPB gives great slip afterwards and doesn't leave my hair hard! Hope this helps.

nita4

Ahhhh, The Hair Color Goddess has spoken! /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

Thanks Tracy, will do.

nita4

Thanks Kitkat,

I'm thinking of ordering the Hair Rebuilder after I finish my Keraphix. I remember you were part of the "underprocessed hair club" like myself...doesn't it dry your no-lye hair out or have you cut most of that off?

VALLEYGIRL

as always excellent advice from Tracy...follow this and you can't go wrong.
Just look at her hair: shiny vibrant color. I only wished my hair was that shiny and glossy when it was colored lighter.
I am copying this Tracy and emailing it to my cousin who just colored her hair. She didn't listen to me and used something else besides Textures and Tones and now her hair is a bit dry and damaged.

hairfanatic

The best permanent hair dye I have used has been the Nice and Easy. Other products that I used were too harsh and drying for my hair and Nice and Easy is the only one that didn't have my hair falling out and the color lasts about a year.

Nyambura

surfer girl
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
For color, I recommend regularly using Feria Color Moisturizing Treatment as your post protein conditioner to retain moisture and make sure your hair stays pliable (it has cones tho, so if you dislike these stay away). Works wonders. Ask Nyambura!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes ma'am /images/graemlins/smile.gif I love this stuff. Asking Tracy for advice right after highlighting/coloring my hair is probably one of the smartest things I have done on my hair care journey. If it wasn't for her, I'd probably be bald, lol.

G

Feria or clairol hydrience always work well, with no breakage whatsoever.

Integrity

my impression was that you should never use permanent color on relaxed hair or relax hair that has been permanently colored(semi-permanent is ok). did i misunderstand?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kitkat

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
nita4 said:
Thanks Kitkat,

I'm thinking of ordering the Hair Rebuilder after I finish my Keraphix. I remember you were part of the "underprocessed hair club" like myself...doesn't it dry your no-lye hair out or have you cut most of that off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nita, Hair Rebuilder doesn't dry out my no lye hair. It helped stop my breakage. I read about this stuff first in Shamboosie's book and tried that after my failed experiment with Nexxus Humectress. I use it faithfully after every shampoo, except for the days that I use Aubreys GPB. I can do this since it's not concentrated protein, like Aubreys is. It really has made a positive difference in my hair. And I always follow up with Motions Moisture Plus, anyway.

I will have to get rid of the underprocessed no lye hair but I'm doing that through gradual trims instead of an aggressive cut. The Hair Rebuilder has really helped soften the underprocessed hair still left!

nita4

That is great Kitkat! I am happy to hear that it's working well for you. I'm hanging in there with mostly Nexxus Products. I have some Dudley's, but not the hair rebuilder and I want to try their moisturizing conditioner too. The Nexxus is working well, but if I were to switch it would be strickly to Dudley's. My only problem is I hate to order stuff and I can't find local yet.

***It would be nice if we could order through this site and then part of the proceeds could go to maintaining it.*** /images/graemlins/smile.gif