Permanently Dying Relaxed Hair?

Divah97

Hi ladies :) I have relaxed hair that I relax just about every 5 months with Revlon Lye Relaxer mild. I'd say it's in good condition as well. I deep condition with KeraCare Humecto, trim every 5 months when I get a relaxer, and probably flat iron my hair every 5 months as well when I get a relaxer. It's just about APL, and I'm retaining length very well thanks to box braids. My natural hair color is somewhere between a 2 and 4 in braiding hair:

And I'd honestly love to lighten my hair just a shade, like the 33 color in the picture, if not a tad bit lighter. I think it'd look really nice, and it'd be very subtle...no bleach required. It'd definitely add some nice definition. And I honestly think I'd be able to get that result using a 20 vol developer and some permanent color. Do any of you have experience in permanently dying your relaxed hair? Should I invest in a wig instead??? lol

PlanetCybertron

I’d agree to stick to the 20. But it depends on how your hair already is prior to. If your hair is fine, I’d suggest a 20 vol as well.

Do a decent protein treatment, and when you decide to relax I’d wait until your new growth is quite a bit. Even if you do process the lightened parts try to get the relaxer out as soon as possible.

I feel that if you go with the 40 vol, your hair might be too fragile afterwards.