Personal Hair Library

B3e

Even though most hair information is readily available with some research, do you still value a hard copy with guidance and styles? Are there some books that you can't live without or that have greatly aided in your healthy hair journey?

Whether they are compiled by you or bought, I'd love to hear your thoughts/reflections.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I don't have any hair books but plan on buying "The Science of Black Hair" when it comes out...it's by Sistaslick you may have read her articles on Associated Content.

faithVA

I don't have any books. But I am compiling a book of my own with recipes and notes on oil and EO's, etc. As I am working on my regimen or trying to modify a recipe it is easier and more convenient to look in a book than to research it on the internet.

I haven't started collecting hairstyles but it is a good idea.

Tiye

I don't have one yet but google books is a very good resource esp. the old books and back issues of magazines where you can see the entire text for free.

silenttullip

Grow It by Chicoro: her part about dry detangling and your mindset has helped me limit ssk's and be more optimistic.

Healthy Black Hair by Nicole Smith: OMG I love this book and I'm not even relaxed. I find myself referring back to her book quite often and it has great vitamin, yoga, scalp care, and product suggestions but isn't forceful or stuck on one line. Everything is different in each chapter.

I keep both these books near by.

Ooooh and for recipes I have a najahface's mixed up... Dang I miss her on yt

No books with styles yet.

I also have the curly girl 1 & 2 which I deem both as useless for me personally.
I also have shamboozie's book and uh yea I lost it and don't mind it being gone.
I had the curly like me book and sold it but if you're a newbie with 1-3b curls give it a shot

Last edited:

tkj25

my top 4 hair books:

Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who've Considered Weaves when the Chemicals Became Too Ruff by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner

Natural Organic Hair and Skin Care : Including A to Z Guide to Natural and Synthetic Chemicals in Cosmetics, and What's in Your Cosmetics? : A Complete Consumer's Guide to Natural and Synthetic Ingredients both by Aubrey Hampton

The Wanakee pamphlet(s):

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...0MS00ODBhLTk5MGMtM2QyNThiYmI2ZGUy&hl=en&pli=1

http://hairoil.com/hairguides.htm

B3e

Thanks for responding ladies!

Myself, I keep a document on my computer in which I compile recipes, styles, and neat tricks that I've learned. It expands beyond just hair to body, mind, and spirit. I plan to print it out and bind some small personal manuals for myself and my family to refer to since I recognize that not everyone is research oriented.

It's nice to be able to look to one location for all the things you've stumbled upon over the years without having to do a google search/thread search.