Petrolatum and other bad products for our hair!!!!!

naijamade79

I posted this same question in d-rock's thread about petrolatum and mineral oil. I'm makin a thread out of it because I think this needs to be explored further!!!!!:detective: I know this sounds like a cospiracy theory and all,:lachen: but has it occured to anyone that the product manufacturers are adding these ingredients to all the "ethnic products" because they know it's damaging to our hair?Think about it, it's not the money to make better products because the products made for "others" are without these evil products. :yep: If all blacks continued to use petroleum and other bad products on our hair and scalp, would we have healthy hair or would we continue on the never ending quest for that magic product to give us healthy hair ? Would that not in turn keep their pockets fat??:dollar: Just a thought. What do u think??

Naemone

I posted this same question in d-rock's thread about petrolatum and mineral oil. I'm makin a thread out of it because I think this needs to be explored further!!!!!:detective: I know this sounds like a cospiracy theory and all,:lachen: but has it occured to anyone that the product manufacturers are adding these ingredients to all the "ethnic products" because they know it's damaging to our hair?Think about it, it's not the money to make better products because the products made for "others" are without these evil products. :yep: If all blacks continued to use petroleum and other bad products on our hair and scalp, would we have healthy hair or would we continue on the never ending quest for that magic product to give us healthy hair ? Would that not in turn keep their pockets fat??:dollar: Just a thought. What do u think??

Well here is a site that shows some of the companies know its not the best for our hair and do it any way, according to this black chemist. The article was from 2000 so they've been knowing for a while.

No I haven't tried the products and not trying to sell his products:lachen: I just thought this was interesting to read.

http://www.alternet.org/story/9264/?page=1

SimpleKomplexity

They know we will buy whatever the newest thing is that promises to make our hair grow. Sooo to get the most profit they sue the cheapest products they can find, and add nice fragrances to it. Then they add just a lil of olive oil, or shea butter put that on the front of the box and call it a day lol. It's all about makign the biggest profit with the least amount of money. I don't think they too much care (especially if they are not our race) about how it affects our hair.

naijamade79

They know we will buy whatever the newest thing is that promises to make our hair grow. Sooo to get the most profit they sue the cheapest products they can find, and add nice fragrances to it. Then they add just a lil of olive oil, or shea butter put that on the front of the box and call it a day lol. It's all about makign the biggest profit with the least amount of money. I don't think they too much care (especially if they are not our race) about how it affects our hair.
So why do u think they don't add these same ingredients to "other" hair care products made for other ethnicities??

pinkchocolatedaisy

OMG... so I'm not like delusional or insane! I have been thinking the same thing!!! I don't see those ingredients in non "ethnic" products.... Hmmm. I was wondering too. But go to the section for us and the first ingredient you will see is "mineral oil"!!!

naijamade79

OMG... so I'm not like delusional or insane! I have been thinking the same thing!!! I don't see those ingredients in non "ethnic" products.... Hmmm. I was wondering too. But go to the section for us and the first ingredient you will see is "mineral oil"!!!
Yes girl!!!!!! I am glad someone is feeling me on this so I'm not crazy then:grin:

LadyKaypnyc

To some degree, I agree with you. But my momma used a lot of those mineral oil/petrolatum products in my hair and it grew like crazy. I ws given weekly dcs, no relaxers, and she almost never used any heat on my hair. Now, I avoid them but I think its a combination of harmful ingredients and just plain ole improper maintainance. People are just not properly caring for their hair, over relaxing, traction alopecia due to overly tight weaves and braids, ODing on heat...those are things that need to be addressed too.

BUT, recognizing harmful ingredients is definately extremely importants:yep:

d-rock

To some degree, I agree with you. But my momma used a lot of those mineral oil/petrolatum products in my hair and it grew like crazy. I ws given weekly dcs, no relaxers, and she almost never used any heat on my hair. Now, I avoid them but I think its a combination of harmful ingredients and just plain ole improper maintainance. People are just not properly caring for their hair, over relaxing, traction alopecia due to overly tight weaves and braids, ODing on heat...those are things that need to be addressed too.

BUT, recognizing harmful ingredients is definately extremely importants:yep:

I don't think it was the petro/mineral oil that was making your hair grow. I've always noticed that kids' hair grows quicker than adults. It was probably the DCs, no relaxers, and no heat that helped more than anything. All I know is when I find out that it's the same stuff used to aid in manufacturing of gasoline, I have to think why would I put that on my hair and in my gas tank? Same thing with the SLSs in shampoos. Same chemicals used to clean engines, garage floors, and other industrial cleaning products. Might as well be pouring car wash detergent in my hair it's all made of the same stuff.