pH Balanced Shampoos

Denim And Leather

Hello, Ladies

I've been lurking on here for a few days, and have to say I am impressed with the information you guys give eachother, as well as the pictures. There are some beautiful ladies on here, as well as beautiful heads of hair, and that encourages me in growing my own hair out (it's now about 3 inches above my bra strap.)

I'm doing UBH's hair products, and have read the book, where Cathy Howse mentions pH balanced shampoos, that ones that lather easily will strip our hair.

I read here yesterday about what products to use when stretching a relaxer (I'm currently two weeks into a touch up and plan to stretch it to two months, maybe more.) Someone here mentioned Paul Mitchell's super skinny shampoo being good for new growth, so I bought a bottle yesterday.

Is this shampoo going to strip my hair? There is nothing on the lable that mentions it's for relaxed, dry or damaged hair, but I figured that since it's a daily shampoo, it has to have the proper pH.

BTW, I think my hair type is a 3, not sure. I have to read the hair types again before I can be sure.

Thanks!:D

baglady215

I just used this for the first time today, and my hair didn't feel stripped. It didn't have much slip either, but oh well. But it did appear to make my hair "skinnier". I'm getting ready to wash out the cond soon to see how that works.

A good shampoo that I use that actually says pH balanced is Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair.

BTW, Welcome!!!

aileenadq

Hi D& L,

The pH IS important, but what "strips" the hair is harsh detergents such as Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfates or Amonnium Sulfates.

Try using shampoos that don't have these in them. Some excellent ones are: Elucence Moisture Balance (the BEST, IMHO) and Aubrey Organic shampoos. There are loads of others.

The pH is particularly important after relaxing, and this is the one time where having harsh detergents is OK, because not only do you want to balance the pH (neutralize) but you want to get ALL the relaxer out of your hair.

BTW: Welcome!!!

Denim And Leather

aileenadq said:
Hi D& L,

The pH IS important, but what "strips" the hair is harsh detergents such as Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfates or Amonnium Sulfates.

Try using shampoos that don't have these in them. Some excellent ones are: Elucence Moisture Balance (the BEST, IMHO) and Aubrey Organic shampoos. There are loads of others.

The pH is particularly important after relaxing, and this is the one time where having harsh detergents is OK, because not only do you want to balance the pH (neutralize) but you want to get ALL the relaxer out of your hair.

BTW: Welcome!!!

Thank you very much, Aileenadq! :) I looked at the ingredients of the Paul Mitchell shampoo last night (I don't have it with me now), and I don't recall seeing any of those ingredients in the shampoo, but will keep those ingredients in mind.