Picture of my hair

hairfanatic

Okay ladies,

I'm still trying to put this in for the URL and it wouldn't accept it. I will try something else. Beverly, maybe I can send it to you.

H

HoneyRockette

I see the You've Got Pictures screen but I see my own album.

adrienne0914

your hair is really pretty and looks very healthy, hairfanatic! keep up the good work. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

sweetcocoa

<font color="purple">Hairfanatic...your hair looks so thick and healthy. I love the even and thick ends. What's your basic regime?</font color>

SVT

Dang! Your's is thick too! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I just saw HoneyRockette's pic.

Hairfanatic, do you color your hair? If so, what brand? I'm on the lookout for the perfect jet black color.

hairfanatic

Thank you Caramela, Adrienne and Sweetcocoa.

As far as my regime is concerned (see below). My hair is all natural (been there since May 2000). I had to cut 3 inches over the summer due to the damaged the braids caused and two days ago, I just cut off 2 more inches. I went from bra strap to what you see now.

I use the Earthy Delight Tropical Rain Shampoo
Ingredients: Distilled water, sage, rosemary, nettles, wheatgerm soap, horsetails, essential oils of neroli,
cinnamon &amp; coconut

I apply an Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to my hair and then rinse out before I proceed with my conditioner

Put a little GPB conditioner on and a little Earthy Delight Conditioner. Leave on for one hour.

Earthly Delight Hair Conditioner-$14.95 16 fl. oz

Ingredients: Deionized water, vegetable glycerine, rice bran oil, avocado oil, wheatgerm proetein, pathanol, amino acids, vegetable emulsifying wax, essential oils of neroli, cinnamon &amp; coconut

Rinse then spray a little Aubrey Primose Tangle-Go, then follow with Giovanni Vitapro Fusion Leave-In Hair Treatment. After that put a little KMS Flat Out on and blow dry on cold. (This time I didn't use the KMS Flat Out but used Dudley's Cream Press. I was okay but my face started breaking out a little, so I don't know if I will use it again.

Aubreys Evening Primose Tangle-Go
Indgredients: Natural Grain Alcohol, Deionized Water, Witch Hazel, Mucopolysaccharides, Lavender Oil, lanolin, Aminobenzoic Acid (PABA), Vegetable Glycerine, Primose Oil, Pantenol (Vitamin B-5)

When section, I put a little Nexxus Botanic Oil on.

I press my hair with the Revlon Perfect Teflon Curling Iron and my hair comes out really straight as if it is relaxed. My hair is very time consuming because it is very thick. When I press, I have to press in very small sections.

My regimen is going to change on my next wash day. I am going to do some different things but I will discuss those in January when I post a new picture that way we all can see if it worked.

hairfanatic

I color with Nice and Easy Permanent Hair Color in Natural Black. I normally only do it once a year if not even that much. I may stop coloring and just let the sun do its thing.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Lovely hair!

Wow, you really don't have any curl in your hair? Are you hawaiian?! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SVT

I didn't realize there so many pressers on the board! I estimate about 5 that post regularly. I'm gettin a warm, fuzzy feeling right now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In your photo, it says you're from Houston. How do you maintain your presses in that Houston humidity? Do you wear your hair totally natural sometimes? I would like to be able to confidently alternate between a press and wearing my hair totally natural. Are you a 4ab like me?

Sorry for all the questions!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I press my hair with the Revlon Perfect Teflon Curling Iron and my hair comes out really straight as if it is relaxed. My hair is very time consuming because it is very thick. When I press, I have to press in very small sections.

[/ QUOTE ]

adrienne0914

I use the Earthy Delight Tropical Rain Shampoo
Ingredients: Distilled water, sage, rosemary, nettles, wheatgerm soap, horsetails, essential oils of neroli, cinnamon &amp; coconut

[/ QUOTE ]

those ingredients sound awesome. where do you get this shampoo from? is it non-latering, or did you not list all of the ingredients? it sounds really moisturizing... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i'm sorry that you had to cut so much hair. what do you think went wrong with the braids? forgive me if you already answered that. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

adrienne

hairfanatic

Hi SVT,

I don't mind the questions at all. I wore my hair natural the whole summer (my husband called me Macy Gray.:D This summer I had the drama with the braids and I rinsed every day and washed on Saturday. I tried Elucence Conditioner this summer and really liked it. I love wearing my hair natural but get bored sometimes. This summer with all that it went through if I had pressed, I probably would not have had any hair /images/graemlins/crazy.gif I also wear a lot of twists, which my children love to call me Madusa when I wear them. I would twist on Saturday and rinse everyday and then spray my hair with an all natural lotion that I mix with water (see below)

Zia Body Moisture Gel 8.5 Fl. oz $10.00 This stuff is fabulous. Mixing it with water makes it lasts a long time.
Ingredients Deionized Water, Canola Oil, Sodium PCA, Glycerin, Lecithin, Shea Butter, Pathenol, Aloe Vera Gel, Carrageenan, Tocopheryl Acetate, Palmarosa Essential Oil, Geranium Essential Oil, Sandalwood Esstential Oil, Ylang Ylang Essential Oil, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Grapefruit Seed Extract.

hairfanatic

Hi Adrienne,

All the ingredients are listed from the bottle. I bought mine from Whole Foods Natural Food Store. It lathers pretty well and is very moisturizing. I am one of those all natural people and believe in my natural products. I used to use Aubrey Organics Selenium and Jay shampoo but I like this shampoo a lot better. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't know what went wrong with the braids. /images/graemlins/confused.gif It did grow my hair nicely, but the second time I did them and took them out, my head had sores in them (and the braids were not tight but they were heavy on my head). /images/graemlins/frown.gifThe ends looked like someone had chewed them all the way up. It felt like straw. After a month I tried to press and my hair was lifeless. I became very frustrated /images/graemlins/mad.gifand cut it. I would have cut more but my husband was getting angry about it, so I just started conditioning it everyday and washing it on Saturday. I figured I would let it grow some more and then cut it. That's what I did the other day.

SVT

Thanks Hairfanatic! The lotion sounds interesting.

Right now, I only wear my hair natural if I'm working out. If I want to wear it natural more often, I need to just do it and not be scuured. (I had a traumatic experience long ago /images/graemlins/frown.gif) I think wearing it natural will get me over the wall as far as gaining length is concerned because I wouldn't be using any heat. It'll also give me more styling options.

We will see. ~sigh~

hairfanatic

Sorry SVT,

I forgot to answer your question </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
How do you maintain your presses in that Houston humidity?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I wear my hair pressed in the summer, I part my hair down the middle and twists each side. So oppose to two french braids, it's two twists. I put a drop of Olive Oil every morning and comb with my fingers. The olive oil keeps my hair in good condition. By Thursday, my hair begins to puff and then I just use my lotion and water concoction lightly and twist back up and then on Saturday, i wash.

I tried doing the bun but it pulls the back of my hair out. The twists are easier on my hair.

Also, in the summer I do less pressing and would only press to clip my ends. In the summer, I do more wash and wear but in the winter I press. The first year I went natural, I rarely pressed.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Hair fanatic, that's my story to the tee. Braids eventually put sores in my head, and I made the decision to take them out, cut off the relaxed hair, and go natural. Boy, I really love my hair now! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gotta...resist...temptation...to buy...HAIRFANATIC'S SHAMPOO! Gah!

Tea

Hairfanatic - Your hair looks great. It's so nice and thick. Nice color too. Keep up the good work.

sweetcocoa

Hairfanatic, I found that since I went natural I don't have to darken my hair. Let it do it's thing...you'll love your natural color. I found my 'untouched color' makes my skin tone look so much better.

LondonDiva

Hairfanatic your hair is absolutely lovely. FINALLY someone has posted thier picture where their length is exactly the same sort of length as mine /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rosie

Honey Vibe???
Gah! (where did he go?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, where did you get that little guy? And I feel you on the shampoo.

adrienne0914

thanks, hairfanatic. i was wondering what made the shampoo lather, but i now see wheatgerm SOAP. sometimes i just read too fast. lol! it still sounds really nice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i've never heard of the weight of braids causing sores. not that it couldn't happen, but dang! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

what did you use on the braids when you wore them, and did you change anything in your regime from the time before (didn't you say you wore them once before)? did you feel like they were excessively dry? i also think i read that you rinsed them daily. is that correct? if so, maybe that could be part of it.

lemme know...

adrienne

hairfanatic

what did you use on the braids when you wore them, and did you change anything in your regime from the time before (didn't you say you wore them once before)? did you feel like they were excessively dry? i also think i read that you rinsed them daily. is that correct? if so, maybe that could be part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I wore the braids for one day. /images/graemlins/frown.gif It took me 7 and a half hours and the next day I had to take them out. The Kanekelon hair broke out my skin really bad along with the braid spray. I woke up with a big black mark on my face. Robin was there with me all the way. I was e-mailing her to death. The next day I bought the Toyokelon Hair which was so much better. I let them stay in for two months and sprayed with my Aubreys Tangle Go spray and my Lotion concoction. The second time was when I got all the sores. My hair didn't feel dry at all, but rinsing could have been the problem. I'm not braid literae at all.

I have been using natural products for a long time then went with using the braid spray that was too oily for my skin. Maybe it was a reaction. I would love to try them again but I'm afraid of starting all over again and cutting again. My husband says every time my hair gets long, I do something to mess it up /images/graemlins/mad.gif. The nerve of him, but it's true. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

adrienne0914

GRRR... i am so irritated! i had this long message typed out, but when i went to post it, IE died. i hope i remember everything i said...

hairfanatic, i also had problems with kanekelon hair the first couple of days. i had terrible itching, which i figured was caused by the chemical used to dye the hair. so i started washing the braids the day they were put in. if the toyokelon hair is working for you, keep using it!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

were you rinsing your hair daily before the braids? if not, i don't see where that would be needed with them. was that something that Robin recommended? how often did she say to wash the braids? i didn't see that on her site.

i think the biggest difference between what we do is how we moisturize the braids. while she uses braid spray twice a day, i found that it didn't provide enough lasting moisture. i think that's why you needed to use it twice a day. for me, that's just too much wetness. once my braids are finally dry, i don't want to have to wet them again. which braid spray did you use? none of the ones that i tried were oily. i'd like to try an oily vs. watery one.

i use oils to keep my scalp moist and curl activator for the braids. i make my own oil concoctions now, but when i first started with the braids, i used Hot Six or Wonder 8. when i use the curl activator, i avoid the scalp because glycerine makes it itch BAD. i sprayed all over but focused on the part of the braids where my ends were. i wore the braids on and off for eight months. i didn't need a trim the entire time that i wore them.

i said all that to say that if you decide to try the braids again, i'll try to help you through!

adrienne

hairfanatic

were you rinsing your hair daily before the braids? if not, i don't see where that would be needed with them. was that something that Robin recommended? how often did she say to wash the braids? i didn't see that on her site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was rinsing daily because after the breakout, I was afraid that not keeping it rinsed would build up causing my skin to break out more. Robin did not recommend it. If I'm not mistaken, I think once a week.

Also, I mentioned it took me about 7 hours to do the braids, that was an error. It took me 15 1/2 hours with the kenekelon hair and 7 1/2 hours with the Yacky Toyokelon hair.

which braid spray did you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used the one she recommends in the tape "Arican Royale BRX Braid Spray".

i make my own oil concoctions now,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i said all that to say that if you decide to try the braids again, i'll try to help you through!

[/ QUOTE ]

I just may try this again, since it is getting cooler. It might be a good way to give my hair a break over the winter. It will also keep me from putting a mild relaxer in it (something I have been contemplating). I may try again on the 1st of November. I will keep you posted but will need all the help I can get because I have officially become braid shy. /images/graemlins/frown.gif