Plain ol' water is the best moisturizer for me

Energee

:yep: Yep, I have realized that Plain ol' water sealed with some type of oil--jojoba or castor really keeps my hair well moisturized. I wear protective styles mainly (except on wash days) and it really works for me.

I usually spray my hair at night with water (I sometimes use distilled/sometimes just plain tap water). I don't wet my hair but 'dampen it' and then I apply a little of my oil (castor or jojoba with a few drops of Rosemary or Ylang Yland essential oil). Then I use a ponytail holder that has been soaked in castor oil as well (I keep a little container of with two or three holders in them covered with the oil) and I do my bun for the night or some sort of twist or pontail folded under. I brush my hair back with my Denman (no breakage at all but really gets my ng) before putting into a loose bun or ponytail folded under. I roll my bangs...just two or three rollers in front. I use magnetic ones. Then I cover with my Satin bonnet. I wake up with perfectly moisturized hair the next morning---no breakage and no real manipulation needed because all I do it take the rollers out in front..give myself a sideswept bang with my fingers. Take the ponytail out in back--twist it into an updo and secure it with a nice bear claw clip. It's so well moisturized that I don't have to rewet and seal again in the mornings.
Perfect for me especially with all the NG now.

I Love protective styling and water is the best moisturizer there is IMO. I don't like all the greasy products (like Mizani H20 (my hair hates something in these types of products and it may be the mineral oil) and the water based leave in I would use would eventually build up on my hair after a couple of days)..so what works for me is water..I'm sticking with it--especially during stretches.

carameldiva

Good idea. I love water. I have it in both of my spritz bottles. One has ACV/water and the other has water, infusium 23, honey, little oil.

HoneyDew

I have tried that and it does not work for me. It evaporates or something. But, if I use a water based moisturizers as a leave in on my wet hair, I really don't need to moisturize for days. I can use a nice oil and that;s all. When I am really dry, I can moisturize my ends with some cream.

BUt just water and oil - my hair would be trippin!

I think CandyC does the same with just water and oil. I wish! :)

Neroli

I use just water and oil on dry hair, in between washes. If I use anything else my hair trips (as HD said). I use my water based moisturizer on wet hair on wash day. Thats it. If I have to groom my hair before next wash, I use water and oil. Period. Anything else just overwhelms my hair. I've tried all KINDS of leave ins, but nothing works cept water and bit of oil . . .

brownsugarflyygirl

Yep...Energee you and me are >< I agree that water is the best. I do "lace" my water with a couple drops of leave in and sometimes rosemary and peppermint essential oils...but my mixture is always like 95% water. I seal with castor and jojoba mixed...and my hair is all good. So to have soft moisturized hair as a 4a natural, you know that has to be good!

sareca

I have tried that and it does not work for me. It evaporates or something. But, if I use a water based moisturizers as a leave in on my wet hair, I really don't need to moisturize for days. I can use a nice oil and that;s all. When I am really dry, I can moisturize my ends with some cream.

BUt just water and oil - my hair would be trippin!

I think CandyC does the same with just water and oil. I wish! :)

Same here. If I do an oil rinse I don't need any moisturizer for days and I don't wear protective styles. :eek: I have hard water tho.

Last edited:

prospurr4

I daily use plain tap water and oil as my moisturizer. In the morning, I dampen my hair, especially ends, with water, seal with coconut or castor oil, then twist into a bun that I cover with a claw clip. At the end of the day, I take down my bun, and my hair is so moisturized. Other products that I've used causes a lot of buildup.

LynnieB

Yep...Energee you and me are >< I agree that water is the best. I do "lace" my water with a couple drops of leave in and sometimes rosemary and peppermint essential oils...but my mixture is always like 95% water. I seal with castor and jojoba mixed...and my hair is all good. So to have soft moisturized hair as a 4a natural, you know that has to be good!

Same with me with the lacing :grin:. Water is the best moisturizer ever and i've found that as long as a product (any product) has water as the #1 ingredient, my hair thrives!!

poetist

Yup, I used to make these intricate moisturizing sprays, but now I use distilled water with a bit of glycerin and I'm good to go.

Dare~to~Dream

I agree with the original poster. I have found that water is the best...then I use my mango butter on the length and ends....moisturized hair all day! I also baggy so that's even better. In the past, I used to have a mist with spring water, oils, and some leftover moisturizer that I didn't use but now I have to say I will never add anything else...just spring or distilled water works best!

LadyZ

I'm natural so i just use it as a leave-in to stop itching when wearing twists or cornrows. I also use it on my fro as just a leave-in when i wear my hair out.

========
I wonder if it will work on relaxed hair:ohwell:.... What is your ratio of ACV to water, if you don' mind me asking... TIA

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
:bump:

I was curious about this especially for us relaxed heads...

Anyone use just plain water as moisturizer then seal with oil??

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I rinse my hair each morning with water, seal with oil or Oyin Burnt sugar pomade (focusing on my ends), Before going to be, I spritz my hair with plain water or I'll spritz it with green tea, seal with oil. No moisturizer that I have makes my hair feel like water. It's the best imo.

Vashti

I'm slowly moving that way myself. When my Scurl is all done I'll be using vegetable glycerin mixed with water in place of the Scurl.