Please Give Me Advice On My New Regimen

Ediese

After doing some research on this board and on another, I was able to pull together the new regimen below. The ayurveda info is from CandyC's thread. I got the Henna info from another board.

I'm taking out my sew-in next week, and wasn't sure if I should Henna and Indigo before using the Ayurvedic powders or vice versa. I was planning on Henna'ng & Indigo'ng next Friday, and then using the Ayurvedic powders on Saturday. Is that too soon?

Anyway, this is my new regimen. It sounds like a lot, but it's not. I just wanted to make sure that I wrote down all the steps just in case I did something stupid.

New Regimen

1. Prepoo overnight with Amla oil. Massage oil into hair prior to the wash.
2. On the day of washing, slowly and gently detangle the hair [see ‘detangling’ for thorough instruction] for you to detangle. Comb the hair straight back
3. Rinse hair in the shower for around ten minutes, the water should be very warm – as hot as you can safely tolerate
4. Pour your powder mixture over your head slowly, focusing on scalp and hair ends.
5. Rinse this out immediately for a good ten minutes
6. When most of the powder particles have been removed, run a conditioner through hair as though using shampoo
7. Rinse this out immediately and repeat while adding EVOO, this time keep the conditioner in my hair for 30 minutes (put on plastic cap)
8. When 30 minutes is up, rinse out with lukewarm – tolerable cold water until all the ‘slick’ of the conditioner is gone and you are left with moisturized detangled hair.
Do not comb your hair until your next wash date, if you feel you must comb your hair, only comb it within the ten minutes when conditioners and oils are in the hair – and please take time. Air dry the hair, only blow-dry once every 3 weeks minimum if you have to.

Preparing the mixture
1. Mix 2 tsp of Amla and Bhringeraj, and 1 tsp of Shikikai powder into 2 cups of warm water.(Use hot water and let it brew till its cool enough to use)

***The consistency of your powder mix shouldn’t be too thick or too watery – it also should never be lumpy or hard to stir. Its colour depends on what powders you use, but it should never be transparent, and you shouldn’t be able to see to the bottom of your mixing jug.
Shampoo only once every 4 weeks with your favourite westernised shampoo or hair soap to avoid build-up.

Henna Tips

** Mix moistuzing powders into your henna to increase conditioning - add amla and bhringeraj

HENNA

1. To prepare henna, mix with orange juice. Then to add moisture to the mix because henna can be drying, add glycerin, ORS pack, (honey, molasses, and olive oil -- optional) right before apply henna. Henna should be a thick consistency.
2. Apply to hair and cover with plastic cap and let sit for a few hours.
3. Rinse the henna completely out of hair, and apply deep conditioner. Let the conditioner sit in hair for 30 mins. Rinse out conditioner, and towel dry hair. Hair is ready to indigo.

INDIGO

1. To mix the indigo, just add hot water and one tsp of seasalt.
2. Apply to hair for a few hours or you can sit under a dryer for 90 mins....make sure to saran wrap or shower cap your hair to get a good color release. Rinse indigo and deep condition.

Christa438

:) You have made wonderful progress. Your hair is looking thicker and more beautiful. I would give advice but am not qualified-- dont have an ayurvedic reggie or know enough... from what I read, your new reg sounds good though (I had read Candy C's thread out of admiration and curiosity), I know that's not really helping though :look:

BostonMaria

Ediese, the advice seems right, but I would reconsider the not combing your hair part. I believe her hair was relaxed (correct me if I'm wrong). I detangle my natural hair every day and I always tell people to detangle their hair to their needs. I can't just let it be for a week and expect to still have hair LOL I'd be bald if I did that.

BTW be careful with the indigo because if not mixed properly your hair will come out blue. Yes I said blue! I don't want you to look like Marge Simpson.

Henna is very drying to my natural hair. If your hair is on the dryer side then I would deep condition for an hour.