Please Help!! I don't know what these Kinky Twists did to my hair!

Ok, I got some kinky twists on the January 21st. I had been taking a few of them out that I noticed are loose and re-twisting them. I noticed that when I take some of them out, about 3-4 inches of my ends come out with the synthetic hair!!!! It looks as if if has been blunt cut with scissors! The only thing is that it's only certain twists and I can't figure out why. I washed them every 2-3 days and I moisturized them daily. I love the style and had planned on getting them again in the future, but I refuse to if they are going to take out my hair. Somebody please let me know what happened to my hair! Did I do something wrong? Why is it just at the ends??? Help!!!!:ohwell:

amwcah

thegirltolove,
Sorry to hear about your hair :( ! Was your hair in a healthy state prior to getting the twist? Did the person putting in the twist do alot of pulling on your hair? Otherwise, I think you did all the right things as far as maintaining moisture. Did you apply moisture to the entire twist or just your scalp?

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
I have kinky twists at the moment and I haven't experienced this at all I can only say I hope you find out the cause cos your having me reconsider doing them again also.

loveable37

I made some small twists in my hair took care of them to the fulliest still a large amount of hair came out .
so being /having relaxed hair gonna shed/break regardless how u style ur hair care for it.overall its dead hair i guess:confused:

Ms Lala

I had a similar thing happen the first time I had braids with synthetic hair. It seemed like the synthetic fibers of the hair was rubbing up against mine and damaging it. My ends were jacked up. Once I started using human hair I didn't have this problem. The human hair is a softer and doesn't do this. To get my hair back in shape I trimmed and did alot of deep conditioning from that point on.

Well, I applied the moisture to the entire twist. This is something that I did daily (only once or twice did I skip a day). I believe that my hair was in a generally good state of health. I made sure that it was very well conditioned prior to having them done. I did multiple deep conditioning treatments for weeks before doing them and stayed away from heat. There was some pulling that was going on, but not anymore than I expected. I actually had less tension and pulling than with braids that I had done previously. Maybe it was the synthetic hair now that I think about it. I had S-curl No-Drip Activator in by moisture mix, which makes my hair really soft. Maybe it was too soft to deal with the synthetic hair. Something that I did notice when taking them out though..... there is a little build-up just above the point where the hair is "cut". I don't know why it is so low on the twist though or even why it is only on certain ones. :confused: I cleaned them pretty regularly and the rest of my hair feels pretty healthy....not brittle at all. It's not like the normal shedding....it's more like my hair was blunt cut within the twist.

CarefreeinChicago

I had the same experience with the kinky twist I think it was the hair every time in the past i had human hair and it was not bad the kinky twist left my hair ravaged and i will never get them again and the shop owner told me they could not do it with human hair

gelati

I got my kinky twist done January 31, only two weeks and I started retwisting the edges. When I took them out I had a little buildup with pieces of long hair!!!!:eek: I was very upset, I'm not getting anymore Kinky Twist done at the shop. I usually do them myself but my husband got them done for me for my birthday. It pays to do them yourself because you can put a good bit of hair in each twist and you know how much tension to put on your hair too.:look:

TowsonGirl said:
The braider didnt "clean up" the braids at the end by cutting or with a lighter?

You know what??? She did "clean up" my hair. I didn't think that they cut into the braid like that though...

gelati said:
I got my kinky twist done January 31, only two weeks and I started retwisting the edges. When I took them out I had a little buildup with pieces of long hair!!!!:eek: I was very upset, I'm not getting anymore Kinky Twist done at the shop. I usually do them myself but my husband got them done for me for my birthday. It pays to do them yourself because you can put a good bit of hair in each twist and you know how much tension to put on your hair too.:look:

Yeah, that is exactly what happened to me!!!!! Did you ever figure out what the cause was?

Covergirl5906

TowsonGirl said:
The braider didnt "clean up" the braids at the end by cutting or with a lighter?

I was thinking the same thing:perplexed maybe when they cleaned the braids they cut some of your hair?? I've worn kinky twists several times b4 and never experienced this...

sareca

I've taken almost half of mine down and retwisted them and I haven't noticed anything. I think it's the "clean up" thing too. Just say "no thanks they look more natural w/ fuzzies." They'll look at you like you're crazy, but they won't argue. You can't argue w/ crazy people. :wink2:

Last edited:
It is unusual because the way that my hair came out, I would think that there would be noticible cuts in the twists, you know? It was just like Gelati described. Besides, I have gotten braids plenty of times in the past and they cleaned them up the same way and I never noticed anything like that....EVER! I am so frustrated and disappointed. I thought that the twists were going to help with my growth, not set me back....:(

Neish222

TowsonGirl said:

I think this could be the case esspecially the lighter they are good for putting flames to people heads and you wont even know they did it until after when u start smelling the burning hair. Personally, I think whenever a person goes to a braiding shop they should never let the braider do a "clean up" cus you'll be mad when you take your braids out.

sareca

Neish222 said:
I think this could be the case esspecially the lighter they are good for putting flames to people heads and you wont even know they did it until after when u start smelling the burning hair. Personally, I think whenever a person goes to a braiding shop they should never let the braider do a "clean up" cus you'll be mad when you take your braids out.

You also never know if they've gone too far this time. They might underestimate how long your hair and clean up your hair instead of the synthetic w/o either one of you realizing it. But if they did clean up too much the hair would probably be gone. Not hanging around in the twists.

Last edited:

gelati

thegirltolove said:
Yeah, that is exactly what happened to me!!!!! Did you ever figure out what the cause was?

I think it was the tension and with the edges being fragile it just pulled some hair out!!!!:nono: I didn't get any clean-up, because my hair looks like micro twist and I never got them this small. I asked for a nice size and I got micros!!!!:eek:

gelati

sareca said:
I've taken almost half of mine down and retwisted them and I haven't noticed anything. I think it's the "clean up" thing too. Just say "no thanks they look more natural w/ fuzzies." They'll look at you like you're crazy, but they won't argue. You can't argue w/ crazy people. :wink2:

See sareca, I should of listen to you and took them out right away but I thought I couldn't get them back like they was!!!!:poke: Plus I was going out for my birthday and I didn't want mess up my hair!!!! Next time if I get them done in a shop, I will definitely take them out around the edges and put them back in loose.:yep: