Please help me learn how to straighten my natural hair without damaging it!

sparkle25

Hello girls!

I am new to this healthy hair thing, but im moving along greatly! I have never been a perm girl or a glue in tracks girl, or a sew in weave gilr etc etc, so i had minimal damage to begin with. Just damage from neglect. I wore braids for most of my life, and then latter started doing quick weaves with a stocking cap to protect my hair from the glue. However all the gel that it takes to smooth your hair down with a quick weave was drying my hair causing breakage and i was combing it with a small toothed European comb and also applying mineral oil products to my scalp. :wallbash:

I know all about moisurizing and doing the right things to keep it healthy such as; only combing hair with a wide tooth comb with condtioner in it, the right ammount of protein and moisture ( no protein for me... dont need it and wont use it till my hair tells me it needs it), using the right oils (minimal oil for me), non sulphate shampoos etc. I am now finding products that work great for me hair and my hair is now thriving. I actually really like my hair, when before i use to just hide it and worry about it the next time i did my hair over. Thanks so much for that ladies.

Now that my hair is thriving, pretty soon i want to do a lenght check. i dont & havent known how long my hair is for years and now that it is actually nice, i wanna see.

I need you ladies to help me learn how to straigten my hair! I want to get it really straight without damaging it. So what are some techniques? I dont know how to stlye my natural hair at all:nono: & havent been researching it because i want health before style.

Do i wash and condition first?

What do i put on my hair to protect it from the heat and when do i apply this product? I know that i read somewhere that silcones help protect the hair from heat. Right now my hair is 100% silicone free, but i wouldnt mind using them to protect my hair while straighening.

Do i roller set my hair then flat iron? I dont know what roller setting is or how you do it.

Do i use a pressing comb vs a flat iron or both? I have a really good flat Iron (GHP) but never used it on my natural hair.

How do i keep my hair straight for as long as possible? What mositurizers do you rec me to use when my hair is straight?

I need to know it all, so please do tell! And if this is prudent, my hair is a 4a with a little bit of 3c and it shrinks like 80%. I have only had my hair straightened at the salon once. Everyone in there was SHOCKED to see how long my hair actually was when it was done. I was thinking to myself 'wait a minute, doesnt all black hair types shrink like mine'?

Anyways thank you so much in advance:)

Last edited:
Hello girls!

I am new to this healthy hair thing, but im moving along greatly! I have never been a perm girl or a glue in tracks girl, or a sew in weave gilr etc etc, so i had minimal damage to begin with. Just damage from neglect. I wore braids for most of my life, and then latter started doing quick weaves with a stocking cap to protect my hair from the glue. However all the gel that it takes to smooth your hair down with a quick weave was drying my hair causing breakage and i was combing it with a small toothed European comb and also applying mineral oil products to my scalp. :wallbash:

I know all about moisurizing and doing the right things to keep it healthy such as; only combing hair with a wide tooth comb with condtioner in it, the right ammount of protein and moisture ( no protein for me... dont need it and wont use it till my hair tells me it needs it), using the right oils (minimal oil for me), non sulphate shampoos etc. I am now finding products that work great for me hair and my hair is now thriving. I actually really like my hair, when before i use to just hide it and worry about it the next time i did my hair over. Thanks so much for that ladies.

Now that my hair is thriving, pretty soon i want to do a lenght check. i dont & havent known how long my hair is for years and now that it is actually nice, i wanna see.

I need you ladies to help me learn how to straigten my hair! I want to get it really straight without damaging it. So what are some techniques? I dont know how to stlye my natural hair at all:nono: & havent been researching it because i want health before style.

What do i put on my hair to protect it from the heat and when do i apply this product? I know that i read somewhere that silcones help protect the hair from heat. Right now my hair is 100% silicone free, but i wouldnt mind using them to protect my hair while straighening.

Do i roller set my hair then flat iron? I dont know what roller setting is or how you do it.

Do i use a pressing comb vs a flat iron or both? I have a really good flat Iron (GHP) but never used it on my natural hair.

How do i keep my hair straight for as long as possible? What mositurizers do you rec me to use when my hair is straight?

I need to know it all, so please do tell! And if this is prudent, my hair is a 4a with a little bit of 3c and it shrinks like 80%. I have only had my hair straightened at the salon once. Everyone in there was SHOCKED to see how long my hair actually was when it was done. I was thinking to myself 'wait a minute, doesnt all black hair types shrink like mine'?

Anyways thank you so much in advance:)

Bump, Bump

I'll bump for you too. I heard someone in another thread talking about a "healthy press". I want to know how that is possible.

Yes, when you straighten you'll get the best results on hair that has just been washed.

What do i put on my hair to protect it from the heat and when do i apply this product?
Whatever heat protector you like. Apply it after your leave-in conditioner (or you can use a leave-in that's also a heat protector - Tresemme makes one) before you rollerset, blow dry, or flat iron. I have Fantasia IC Heat Protector and Aveda Brilliant Damage Control. You can use one of those or whatever heat protector you want.

Before you flat iron you can roller set first or you can blow dry first. You might not need to do either. A lot of Maxiglide users don't blow dry first. I have a Maxiglide and an FHI Platform. I can get my hair straight with either one of those without blow drying or rollersetting first.

Check out the threads here on roller setting or check out some youtube roller setting videos.

Do i use a pressing comb vs a flat iron or both?
Either one. Some ladies here using a pressing comb, some use a flat iron. Use whatever works for you - whatever you're more comfortable with.

How do i keep my hair straight for as long as possible?
An anti-humidity product - maybe Sabino Moisture Block, Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade, Maxius Beyond Straight, or any other humidity resistant product.

What mositurizers do you rec me to use when my hair is straight?
This one I'm not sure about - I used Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol but I'm sure there's something better out there.

Last edited:
I dont think just a flat iron will get my hair straight. So does anyone know: I am to use a blow dryer, do I use a brush and pull my hair with the brush section by section with the blow dryer, then use my flat iron? Will it work if i use low heat with both the blow dryer and The flat iron? I dont wanna fry my hair.

I am natural and I found a natural hair dresser. She washes conditions and blows dryes my hair using a round brush then flat irons it using a small flat iron and a rat tail comb then the big curling iron that you stick in the stove wraps it up and puts in Bobby pins and this last 2 weeks. No heat damage I only wear it straignht when it's not hot out and I never use heat on it at home I just use satin rollers and a silk scarf at night. Hth

Different people will recommend different methods to getting your hair straight without damaging it. I think a lot of it has to do with your hair type -- for instance, I have found that my hair (3c/4a) works well if I rollerset it then flat iron or blow dry my roots straight, but my sister's hair (4b) gets better results if I simply blow dry it then flat iron it. One member that comes to mind who uses a different technique is PinkSkates; she blow dries her hair without the use of a comb or brush, then uses a pressing comb to get her hair silky and straight. No matter which route you go, I can't stress enough the importance of doing a serious DC before you straighten (my hair likes a good protein DC followed by something very moisturizing) and using a quality heat protectant. In the past I have used CHI Silk Infusion and/or Sabino MB with good results, but I am looking to move to the Aveda line shortly. Good luck!

This is what I do and i get pin-straight results with swang:
-wash and DC hair
-apply Sabino Moisture Block and comb through
-let hair air-dry 95% while in 4 loose plaits
-blow dry each section using comb attachment or hand tension
-section hair into about 8 sections with plastic clips
-apply a little bit more Sabino to roots and comb through and re-section
-flat-iron 1/4" sections of sectioned hair, passing no more than 2 times

Back