PLEASE HELP.....My Hair Is Extremely Dry

Mandy4610

Hello ladies.
I have been natural for about 7 months now.
My texture is 4a/b very thick and dense. My hair has been very dry since it started growing longer. If feels wirey or compact or something like that. It just does not feel soft. The other day my DH said it feels weird. (he should know better than to say things like that), but he is right it does feel strange.

This is what I have been doing lately:

1 Shampoo once a week with Silk Elements Olive oil shampoo

2 Cowash daily with Mizani thermasmooth conditioner

3 Use a leave-in after each wash (Aphogee Provitamin or keracare leave-in)

4 I moisturize twice daily with either my spritz (water, aphogee leave-in, castor oil and glycerine) or I use my home made Shealoe or Qhemet Olive and Amla heavy creme.

5 I deep condition mostly twice a week (been lazy the last two weeks) with Keracare humecto or ORS hair mayo or Mizani thermasmooth.

6 Every now and then I do an aphogee treatment with the 2 min reconstructor

7 Every now and then I prepoo with oil (Keracare essential oils or other oil blends, castor or olive oil)

8 I also use MT on my scalp

I wonder if I am using too many protein based products. I have a few items I am using up from my relaxed days. Should I switch products, adopt a new regimen, eliminate something, add something? Please help.

Thanks in advance ladies.

danigurl18

maybe the glycerin is drying your hair out... I remember a thread that Iris started about glycerin having that effect on the hair after a while.. I know that it happened to me so I cut it out and now my hair is back to normal...HTH

MA2010

Try eliminating one of your protein based products like your ORS Hair Mayo. Many that use MegaTek use no other products containing proteins. HTH!

Esq.2B

Maybe clarify then give yourself moisturizing DCs and remove some of those protein based products.

BrooklynSouth

My relaxed hair loved protein but my transistioning hair hates it, even the relaxed ends snap off from it...now I am moisturizing like crazy with SALERM 21, GARNIER LEAVE-IN, NEXXUS shampoos and light oils-ORS CARROT OIL is a hair saver. I baggy many times a week too overnight for deeper moisture penetration.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Your hair type looks and sounds very similar to mine. I strongly suspect that it's the protein. I've found that my hair, being natural, can deal with lighter proteins like LeKair Cholesterol every so often; but I try and leave the heavy stuff (Aphogee Reconstructor) for times after I've used a lot of heat or where my hair clearly needs it (e.g., it's become way overmoisturized).

In general, the heavy proteins aren't needed as much for naturals who haven't altered their hair in some way, as they are for relaxed heads.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I was gonna ask if you're still using the same stuff you were using when you were relaxed. Do you pay attention to how your hair feels after the application and/or rinsing of each product?

Chuck the Aphogee. Natural hair needs moisture. Lots of moisture. Have you tried steaming?

When you dc, do you use heat? How long do you dc? i've found that if I dc with heat for less than 45 minutes, it'll be like I didn't condition at all! I HAVÈ to dc at LEAST 45 minutes for the conditioner to take effect. If I don't use heat, I dc overnight. And I'm relaxed, so I know you need more moisture than I do! :lol:

Noir

You are using a lot of med-hard protein and you're natural so that could be a problem.Your hair is probably thirsty for more moisture.

Btw a lot of those products contain cones so you may have build up which is blocking out the moisture. You could also have mineral build up if you have hard water. When was the last time you clarified or chelated?

Also how much glycerin are you using in your mixture?

Oh and I would find a shampoo which does not contain harsh detergents like SLS, SLES or ALS. Makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

yodie

1. Clarify or chelate first.
2. DC or steam with Aubrey Organic's Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner.

Mandy4610

when was the last time you clarified?
I have never really clarified my hair. What would be the best product for clarifying?

maybe the glycerin is drying your hair out... I remember a thread that Iris started about glycerin having that effect on the hair after a while.. I know that it happened to me so I cut it out and now my hair is back to normal...HTH
Yeah...I heard that about glycerine. I am not using much though, just a few drops in my spritz.

I was gonna ask if you're still using the same stuff you were using when you were relaxed. Do you pay attention to how your hair feels after the application and/or rinsing of each product?

Chuck the Aphogee. Natural hair needs moisture. Lots of moisture. Have you tried steaming?

When you dc, do you use heat? How long do you dc? i've found that if I dc with heat for less than 45 minutes, it'll be like I didn't condition at all! I HAVÈ to dc at LEAST 45 minutes for the conditioner to take effect. If I don't use heat, I dc overnight. And I'm relaxed, so I know you need more moisture than I do! :lol:
I am going to try and sell my aphogee products, I have about 3 different kinds:nono:
I will also do a serious DC tonight.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Mandy, ORS Creamy Aloe is a good clarifying poo. It also chelates, which could help if you have hard water. Let us know how your hair turns out after you dc!

hopeful

I really think that its too much protein that your hair is getting.

Try eliminating one of your protein based products like your ORS Hair Mayo. Many that use MegaTek use no other products containing proteins. HTH!

Maybe clarify then give yourself moisturizing DCs and remove some of those protein based products.

You are using way too much protein, I don't use that much and I'm texturized/texlaxed.

suburbanbushbabe

I wonder if I am using too many protein based products. I have a few items I am using up from my relaxed days. Should I switch products, adopt a new regimen, eliminate something, add something? Please help.

Could be - If you are protein sensitive that would make you hair dry and crispy. Also silicone or mineral oil build up could do it as well.

Mandy4610

You are using way too much protein, I don't use that much and I'm texturized/texlaxed.
You are right...I am cutting it all out. Which basically means I need to buy new products, but I will research before I buy anything.

OT: your hair...OH MY GOSH, it looks beautiful:lick:

GinnyP

hey thanks I bet that is what happen to my hair too much protein my hair is shedding and knotting up at the ends and has broken off so badly in the crown area I am so scared.

I tried odorless garlic maybe it was the cheap kind it did not help with my shedding I got a cold right afterwards

The Princess

You know Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner has protein in it. Using it daily might take an effect on your hair, I just re read your post. You are using alot of items that has protein in it. Like the other have mention, take some of the protein out, then you should be good.

Last edited:

Mandy4610

You know Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner has protein in it. Using it daily might take an effect on your hair, I just re read your post. You are using alot of items that has protein in it. Like the other have mention, take some of the protein out, then you should be good.
Thank you. Here is what I have done.

I got rid of:
-All Aphogee products
- ORS mayo

I added oil to my MT, I will be cowashing with Keracare Humecto (I have tons of it, I need to use it up) and I will be using Keracare leave-in diluted with water and olive oil and will be using qhemet Amla and olive or shealoe for moisturizing.
I just found out that my shampoo also has protein so I will be buying a new shampoo without protein and without SLS.

glamazon386

Maybe you shouldn't use shampoo?

ETA: I agree about the protein. I rarely use protein on my hair. And that's usually only if I've been straightening a lot. I also used it when I had highlights. As a natural you may not need it at all.

Last edited:

Mandy4610

Maybe you shouldn't use shampoo?

ETA: I agree about the protein. I rarely use protein on my hair. And that's usually only if I've been straightening a lot. I also used it when I had highlights. As a natural you may not need it at all.
I am realizing that. Thank you. I will just cowash for a while and see what happens.