PLEASE RESPOND IF YOU ARE 4A/4B..OR CAN HELP ONE!!

prettygirlatl

HELLO 4'S!!!
I AM NEW TO THE FORUM AND NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP. I AM TRYING TO GET MY HAIR TO SHOULDER LENGHT BY THE END OF 2007. I AM CURRENTLY GOING TO A DOMINICAN HAIR SALON. MY HAIR IS THINNING OUT AND NEED AN INTERVENTION. PLEASE HELP!!

MY HAIR WAS TO THE NAPE OF MY NECT BEFORE THE DAMAGE:mad:

THANKS

Radianthealth

I have 4B fine hair and my first suggestion would be to stop going to the Dominican salon, It seems that their method is great to make your hair extra straight, but it does nothing for the health of your hair. I would stop getting blowouts and read through the different posts to figure out a good regimen.

Sistaslicks sticky post is a great place to start:)

A Newcomer's Guide To Starting Out (a one stop thread for newbies-with tutorial and loads of information)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ad.php?t=50291

I started out with neck length hair now I am about 2 inches from APL, Some of my regimen is the Cathy Howse method of washing and deep conditioning twice per week & Moisturizing daily. www.ubhpublications.com You don't have to buy the book just read through the Frequently Asked Questions.

The other half of my regimen is the Crown & Glory Method. www.growafrohairlong.com

Last edited:

gymfreak336

What is your usual regime?

How often do you get a wash and deep condition?
How often do you use protein treatments?
What daily moisturizer do you use and how do you normall wear your hair?
Do you think the damage is from dryness, overprocessing or excessive heat use or better yet a little of all of them?

Let us know so we can help you better :)

Kimberly

The first thing I would suggest is to stay away from the Dominican salon with the exception of special occasions, maybe.

Then, eveluate your products. Sistaslick's sticky is a really god read, too.

Good luck to you!:)

tricie

Hi, prettygirlatl,

I agree with the ladies; I'm not in an area where there are Dominican salons (at least I don't think there are), but I'd probably stop getting blowouts; I just don't think 4a/b hair can take all that heat. I am 8 weeks post, and didn't put heat (flat iron) in my hair all week (twisted with bantu knots), and my hair seems to be so much happier!

I, too, would check with Sistaslick's post (there is a TON of information there about any and everything).

HTH!

Miss*Tress

In addition to all the advice so far, I would say learn how to roller set. See Dlewis' recent thread about Amla oil for pics of a great roller set (and a testimonial on the benefits of Amla oil).

If you still want to go to the Dominicans why not have them wrap your hair after the roller set, rather than blow it out.

HTH.

brandy

I am a 4a/4b.
* Do you use heat (blow drying or flat ironing) often if yes then cut it out.
* How often do you wash and deep condition your hair? Try doing these at least once a week.
* Avoid products that contain wax,mineral oil or petroleum .
* Try sleeping with a satin or silk bonnet or scaf.
* Try massaging your scalp with a good natural oil eg Jojoba, olive, macadamia,shea butter oil.
* Read up on rosemary essential oil to find out whether it is safe for you. If it is then add about 7 drops to 25mls of olive oil or jojoba oil and use it to masssage your scalp about an hour before you wash your hair.

* Use ORS hair mayonaise (a good protein conditioner) to condition your hair often.
* Use a gentle clarifying shampoo every 6 weeks or so to get rid of product build up.

* Also visit growafrohairlong for more hair tips.

I hope my advice helps and good luck.

Last edited:
It should be possible to get to shoulder length but you have to:

1. Stop with the heat immediately generally 4a4b hair doesn't do well with regular heat.

2. Wash 2x a week using a hydrating conditioner

3. deep condition 1x a week.

4. Find styles that have no manipulation and no heat.

5. Keep the protien in check. I use a protien conditioner or reconstructor periodically.

6. Try multi-vitamin and maybe appropriate supplements daily.

7. Get busy reading tips and opinions on this website. I usually only follow the advice from people with my own hair type.

The rest of the year you'll have to be vigilant but the reward can be shoulder if you be consistent. Generally hair grows at a little under 1/2 inch a month. Figure out how many inches you have to shoulder divide by 2 and you got a rough guess on how many months it will take to get to shoulder length.

Good luck.

prettygirlatl

hello friends in hair care.... thanks so much for the info. this is a great start. can you guys give me som suggestions on prepoo, shampoo, treatments, conditioner, and leave in conditioner. i am thinking about doing the crown glory method. can some one tell me the pros and cons with using synthetic hair for the braids...

thanks in advance