Please Share Pics of Your Protective Styles Here

AlmostTamed

I've been meaning to post but I have had these in for about 3 weeks. Individual crotchet locs around the perimeter and traditional crochet locs in the back. I loved it, also loved wearing them with nothing on my edges for that more 'natural' look. I wouldn't suggest this hairstyle if your hair is long because I had to trim about an 1nch off because my hair was longer than the loc #notcomplaingthough.

Also nothing like having actual loc'ed sisters compliment your faux locs.

Heart.jpg

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside
Here's a simple double twist pin-up style I did:IMG_20181219_134725[1].jpg
It actually looked different the first time I did it, but I made a slight mistake this time. I need to look at the reference pic for the style again...
Here's the style I was trying to do, if anyone's interested:

Dominga11

Some of my three strand twists unravel. I have done a little research and it seems that some people use bobbypins to secure the ends until their hair dries. Does anyone do this? Can you upload a picture? I am mot understanding what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Pygmy_puff

Some of my three strand twists unravel. I have done a little research and it seems that some people use bobbypins to secure the ends until their hair dries. Does anyone do this? Can you upload a picture? I am mot understanding what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you are making them too big? I know that if I do only a couple big braids or twists on my hair they tend to unravel as they dry. If I do at least 6 twists on my head they usually will stay twisted ok.

I worry that if you put Bobby pins at the end it might ruin the little spiral curl at the end of the hair. Idk. I hope you find a solution that works for you! Three strand twist outs are so pretty. :)

faithVA

Thanks in advance.

You may not be doing anything wrong. Everyone has different hair.

What product(s) are you using to twist with? Is your hair in it's natural state or are you twisting on stretched hair? Do you twirl the ends of your twist around your fingers?

Instead of bobby pins you can try putting your twist on small perm rods if you have them.

Dominga11

You may not be doing anything wrong. Everyone has different hair.

What product(s) are you using to twist with? Is your hair in it's natural state or are you twisting on stretched hair? Do you twirl the ends of your twist around your fingers?

Instead of bobby pins you can try putting your twist on small perm rods if you have them.

I am using shea butter and Aunt Jackie's No Shrink Gel on damp hair.

My sister came over today and she agrees with you that a couple of patches of my hair are a different texture and that is accounting for the difference. This is also probably the reason why my wash and gos vary in results. I am going to just two strand twist those sections and retwist daily if needed. If this proves to be too much manipulation, I'll have to come up with a different protective style.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I straightened my hair for the first weekend of 2019. Finally had the confidence to get my hair back to one length once and for all and I think I got rid of all of my unnatural layers. Back to BSL and I feel basically ********:cry3: So as soon as my hair is curly, I’m hitting the growth challenges with a vengeance. I want WL Dec 2019!!! And this is my first protective style of the year... cause I’m trying to get my straight-ish hair to last through a few weekends.

This is 5 flat twists at a slant going back. I will be keeping these in til Saturday and hopefully rocking some nice beachy waves when I take them out.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I straightened my hair for the first weekend of 2019. Finally had the confidence to get my hair back to one length once and for all and I think I got rid of all of my unnatural layers. Back to BSL and I feel basically ********:cry3: So as soon as my hair is curly, I’m hitting the growth challenges with a vengeance. I want WL Dec 2019!!! And this is my first protective style of the year... cause I’m trying to get my straight-ish hair to last through a few weekends.

This is 5 flat twists at a slant going back. I will be keeping these in til Saturday and hopefully rocking some nice beachy waves when I take them out.

Looks like silk, black strands! :2inlove: Look at the health and shine of this gorgeous hair!!!!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Last edited:

Alta Angel

Yes, we are all using variations of the same bun! I moisturize my hair and put on an elastic headband. I put my hair in 6 twists and put an extra dollop of leave-in conditioner on my ends. I take the twists by the ends and then use a bobby pin to pin all the ends together and to the back of my head. That's it!

:2inlove::love::love2::love3::love4::love5:o

That bun is SUPER GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! Please tell how you created!

Wait a minute.....

That's the same lovely style @flyygirlll2 has!

Somebody needs to teach me how to do this, please.

Is the same bun as in post #754, with the video tutorial by @NowIAmNappy ?