Please tell me how to...

keez1979

Does anyone know how to make my hair lay down in the back? Whenever I part my hair and put it up in a ponytail on the top and leave the bottom down, the hair on the bottom nevers lays down against my neck. Instead it looks stiff and sticks out whenever I move my head. I am not very good at straightening it with a curling iron, so does anyone have any tips to help me out besides that?

msprettyeyes

It sounds like u probably have buildup. You should get a clarifying shampoo. Then you need to really condition your hair. It can also be the curling iron that does this. How long is your hair? Because this can be another factor also.

Sky

I have had this problem too! When my hair does that it usually is dry and not moisturized enough.

Ms pretty eyes,

How could the curling iron make the hair do this?

keez1979

My hair reaches to the bottom of my neck. It is kind of thin too, unfortunately and is just now starting to thicken up, thanks to the board. I will try to clarify this week to see if that makes any difference. I was hoping to find something that would make my hair "heavier" so that it would lay down too. Any suggestions?

Sky

I dont think the thinness(sp?) is the problem. My hair does the same thing and it is very thick. I know one day I did a braid out and it was very moisturized and it layed flat.

I also noticed if I put a lot of heat on it and moisturized it would lay flat. But I want it to lay flat like when I get my hair done at the shop - minus the heat.

I think I read on this board if you roller set it and wrap it the hair should lay better. But I want it to lay flatter without all that work.

lunalight7

keez,
Is your kitchen shorter than the rest of your hair? when mine was, it stuck out and made the hair lying over it stick out too.

Sky

[ QUOTE ]
keez,
Is your kitchen shorter than the rest of your hair? when mine was, it stuck out and made the hair lying over it stick out too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought everyones kitchen was shorter than the rest of their hair?

keez1979

Yes, my kitchen is shorter than the rest of my hair. It is almost impossible to straighten (kind of frizzy looking especially with all the washing that I do now), so that may be why my hair on top sticks out. I considered not perming it for a while to see if it would grow in more. Do you think that that might work?

msprettyeyes

Sky,

When I used the curling iron a lot I noticed that I noticed that this was causing my hair to be manipulated in directions it wasn't used to. So what I would do was get regular roller sets. And my hair would lay flat in the back. And every now and then I would use the flat iron to straighten it in its normal direction. Also when there is a lot of buildup it causes the hair to just stick up and your hair won't have a natural flow.

Sky

Msprettyeyes,

When you say regular roller sets do you mean that your hair was washed and you sat under the dryer with the big hard rollers and then you let it dry...then later you could use a curling iron to go over it and it would lay flat? (sorry for the run on).

If what I stated above is correct then the only way to quickly get my hair to lay flat is to wash it then curl it under with an iron?

Now my hair is a little past my shoulder . I do notice the longer it is getting the more "weight" it has so the more it naturally lays on my back. So I am excited about it growing down my back.