Please Tell Us What Is The Best Way To Detangle Natural Hair...

cocomama

Ok Ladies...I mixed about 1/4 of coconut vinegar with 3/4 water. I sprayed this mixed on each dry section and applied a little Shea butter to my hands before finger detangling. This worked like a charm.

I then shampooed and deep conditioner with heat for about 30 minutes. As I was rinsing the deep conditioner out I finger detangled again similar to the video @Dayjoy posted. Basically starting from the roots then working down my hair shaft as the water was coming down my hair strand. This whole method work pretty good!

Sidenote: I also kept my hair in about 10 twist through out this whole method. I think I have finally found my new detangling method. I think I will finally get to waist length now. Hopefully by the end of next year.

Silverstreaks

I’m experimenting with Fenugreek, using the seeds to make a spray and adding essential oils to improve the aroma. So far, I like the results. Used before and/or after shampooing, depending on level of necessity.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Using 6 to 8 sections...

From dry hair state: mist each section before detangling with water only or water/conditioner mix; this gives the hair time to soften first. Remove shed hair with fingers and then detangle with wide tooth comb.

In shower: after shampooing (but before deep conditioning), I detangle with Paul Mitchell the Detangler (or your product of choice)

I detangle in the shower 99% of the time. Faster and easier for me.

cocomama

Using 6 to 8 sections...

From dry hair state: mist each section before detangling with water only or water/conditioner mix; this gives the hair time to soften first. Remove shed hair with fingers and then detangle with wide tooth comb.

In shower: after shampooing (but before deep conditioning), I detangle with Paul Mitchell the Detangler (or your product of choice)

I agree. I hadn't detangle in the shower in a while...but I'm back on it now!

ThursdayGirl

Using 6 to 8 sections...

This is what I do as well!

Tefnut

I always found rinsing with ACV to be helpful with removing buildup when wearing braids or twists. Either later that day or the next, I'd use a mix of coconut oil and a good conditioner (Paul Mitchell The Detangler, Hello Beautiful Totally Twisted/Hello Hydration or a good deep conditioner) to work through my hair and remove any tangles. I do this by hand and if necessary will use a brush/comb (Felicia Leatherwood brush) to help with any stubborn tangles. My stylist used the Tangle Teaser and proprietary pre-poo blend to detangle my hair. I'm getting a Tangle Teaser to see how I like it.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
I've slowly stopped using combs/brushes. I find that since I'm usually in ahurry, it leads to me yanking my hair out or snapping it off. I use my fingers whether it is wet or dry. Wet and soaked in conditioner, dry if I was wearing a PS and am touching it up. Then I use oil and a bit of conditioner. I used to thnk finger detangling was BS, but nowadays it is best if I want to keep my hair.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Thanks for the good information. So you actually detangle the ends with a thumbs tack? Or just undo the ssk?
Both. I detangle the ends of my twisted hair that's been twisted for more than a week, they tend to curl up on themselves. I don't get many SSK but when I do I always gave the thumb tack handy. Even while finger detangling a little knot can form at the bottom as I drag hairs down and if they get caught on each other I grabs the tack. I'm telling you the the thumb tack is a vital tool when it comes to detangling my 4B hair.

It also helps that my hair is long enough to place the knot right in front of my face while picking it with the tack.

cocomama

Both. I detangle the ends of my twisted hair that's been twisted for more than a week, they tend to curl up on themselves. I don't get many SSK but when I do I always gave the thumb tack handy. Even while finger detangling a little knot can form at the bottom as I drag hairs down and if they get caught on each other I grabs the tack. I'm telling you the the thumb tack is a vital tool when it comes to detangling my 4B hair.

It also helps that my hair is long enough to place the knot right in front of my face while picking it with the tack.
Thank you so much!!! I will try this today as well!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

I do the EXACT same thing, EXCEPT I use a safety pin.

Chicoro

So do ya'll detangle the ends first with the thumb tack? Then finger detangle the rest of the hair?

I do not use a thumb tack.

I use a safety pin.

I use the safety pin to untangle ends that have miniature tangles that I can't remove with my fingers. The point [for me] is in order to unloosen the entire braid, I MUST first use the safety pin to get those very tangled ends undone. Once the ends are undone, I can usually undo the rest of the braid with my fingers.

My goal in using the safety pin is to try to preserve and save/retain my length. In those cases where I need to use a safety pin and I don't, I usually tear off and lose the length on the ends.

This is not my detangling process. This is one of many things I use in the event I have a tangle. The tangle will determine which techniques I use for my hair.

Sally.

I do the EXACT same thing, EXCEPT I use a safety pin.

I wonder if Bobby pins would work (if you take off the bulbed ends).

Chicoro

I wonder if Bobby pins would work (if you take off the bulbed ends).

I don't think they'd work as well for ME, but you may like that better. I get a good grip with the push pins.

@I Am So Blessed answered way better than I did. When bobby pins have the bulb removed they too become sharp. But they become more like a knife. At a microscopic level, bulb-less bobby pins tend to slice into the our fragile hair strands. So, instead of getting a de-tangling of the knot, you may slice, cut or damage the hair strands further. I think a bulb-less bobby pin will do more harm than good.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
@I Am So Blessed answered way better than I did. When bobby pins have the bulb removed they too become sharp. But they become more like a knife. At a microscopic level, bulb-less bobby pins tend to slice into the our fragile hair strands. So, instead of getting a de-tangling of the knot, you may slice, cut or damage the hair strands further. I think a bulb-less bobby pin will do more harm than good.
Good answer as well to @Chicoro .

A needle is key (which ever form it's in wether it be a safety pin, thumb tack or dental needle). A lot of women have picked apart years of loc'ed hair with a dental hook. So pins WORK.

No bobby pins though LOL for the reasons Chicoro explained.

nyeredzi

If only there were a single answer to this question for all hair. I don't know the best way, and I don't even have a quick drama-free way if detangling my own hair. My hair is medium-thick density, 4b, about mid back, for reference. I've been natural for over 20 years and have tried many things. None of them result in what I want, which is hair that I can detangle thoroughly and quickly, where by quickly I mean under an hour.

However I will say that what really doesn't give me that are the very commonly recommended practices of detangling with nothing more than fingers and a wide tooth comb and letting hair air dry. That spells disaster for me because I cannot get most of the shed hair out in a reasonable amount of time. Leaving shed hair in builds to more and worse tangles. It's fine to start with these methods but in the end a Denman, tangle teaser (or whatever it's called), or a blow dryer with comb attachment is needed to line the strands up and get the shed hair out. Equally important is preventing the hair from becoming too tangled in the first place, which I often fail to do. But that is primarily done through protective styling.

As for products, conditioner, KCNT, or whatever any of those will produce roughly equal results for me. I do not find acv to be magical, but I can use it too. Ideally I'd wash and detangle weekly and blow dry every other wash with comb attachment. If I'm doing that, it's better to section and wash my hair before detangling. If I let it get to 2 weeks, which I've been doing lately because I have no time, better to do a lot of the detangling before washing.