Pleeeeeeease stop using NTM silk touch leave-in

gn1g

punchinella said:
ITA with everything said here, very good explanation. ;)

When my grandmother was alive she made her own soap and it was mixed with straight lye, whatever she mixed it with changed the burning effects of the lye. They washed their hair and bodies with it. They still had natural hair (it did not get straight), and they had some of most pretty skin you ever wanted to see. My mother use to have my grandmother send us soap sometimes and nothing happpened to us.

I'm glad we have people like Sistaslick on this board to break it down for us and to help educate us.

Lye soap was the truth. Everybody had even skin tone.

mrsmeredith

Lye soap was the truth. Everybody had even skin tone.

FYI:yep: ALL soap is: Lye + water + oil= soap. So when you see someone say old fashioned lye soap they know some people don't know its just regular old soap and use those terms as a marketing ploy.

Alot of store brand soaps are not true type soaps and have harsher ingredients.

loveable37

I stop using it long time ago its gives me a buildup cause i am heavy handin it develps flakes on my scalp/hair.

mistee11

ITA with gymfreak 100%. :yep:

Just about all of the products we use today contain chemicals of some kind of another. In the hair world, some of the best moisturizers contain propylene glycol and anyone who has worked in a chemistry lab, or has even taken introductory level chemistry course will tell you that this chemical can only be handled with gloves, goggles, and in a well ventilated area. It is very dangerous to handle, yet its in a great many of our moisturizing products for its humectant properties. I don't see anyone using gloves and goggles to squirt on their S-Curl :lol:

Everything is a chemical--- even water. In different concentrations, certain conditions, (or mixed with certain other ingredients) one chemical may have two totally different actions. Water, Sodium and chloride do nothing on their own, but when they come together, they cause a highly explosive reaction. A really quick interesting display of this reaction here if you are bored: :lol:

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/JCESoft/CCA/CCA0/Movies/NACL1.html

The end result is harmless table salt. Adding the table salt itself again to water, though it still contains the same sodium and Chlorine does nothing but make salty water. Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) is the same way. The same NaOH added in Dark N Lovely is not going to be or react the same as the NaOH in NTM.What separates NTM from Dark N lovely or Affirm is the concentration of NaOH , the pH, and the presence of other chemicals that encourage the relaxing effect. Nothing in NTM is going to give you that same effect. You could dump the whole entire bottle on your head, cover it overnight, and nothing would happen except you’d have a gunky mess on your hands. Now, try that with Affirm or Dark N Lovely :lol:

Much of the soap used today is actually derived from NaOH, but when it mixes with oils and water (through a process called saponification) it is no longer truly lye. It is a “waxy ,fatty substance” or “soap” and it acts as an excellent, effective non-drying cleanser. In the NTM, its probably acting in a waxy capacity along with the other shaft coating smoothers (silicones) all up and through that product. Any dryness you get from NTM would be best blamed on the "cones" if theres a threat, that would be it.:lol:

So no need to get worked up or worry! Products that contain NaOH will not have a relaxing effect on your hair- unless the product is explicitly a relaxer or texturizing product. It will NOT process or over process your strands. If you eat pretzels, those are actually boiled in a NaOH solution before baking.

I think that you and Gymfreak are able to speak from experience when it comes to this issue... one just needs to look at your hair and see how beautifully maintained it is! Macherieamour is also a faithful user of NTM and she too sports a very healthy mane! I'm a newbie too and I've noticed that there are a lot of ladies on this board who use this product and have gorgeous hair to boot! Shoot y'all make me want to go out and get me some NTM! :lachen:

LovinLocks

I'm now wondering where to buy the stuff!!!! I've been using Wave Nouveau cream and it's just too, too, too much-not sure if it's the glycerin (which I overstand to be a good thing); but it's like my hair is gummy or something and I need a lot each day.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm now wondering where to buy the stuff!!!! I've been using Wave Nouveau cream and it's just too, too, too much-not sure if it's the glycerin (which I overstand to be a good thing); but it's like my hair is gummy or something and I need a lot each day.

I have the same experience with Wave Nouveau...it actually moisturizes my hair, but it makes my hands all tacky and gross after I finish applying. I always have to go wash them.

But NTM Silk Touch Leave-In can be found pretty much anywhere...CVS, Duane Reade, Rite Aid, WalMart, K-Mart, Target, Ulta, Safeway, Walgreens, Shop Rite...I think Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linens N Things carry it as well.

msearthtones

I meant to reply to the original comment regarding the sodium hydroxide in this product, it serves as a Ph adjuster, no where near the concentration contained in a relaxer.

lushlady

Great information here. Although it kind of makes me think I should stick to one product line-or at least not so many different lines. Or that maybe a product that didn't work for me in the past was due to the order in which I applied it, what other products I used it with, and if my hair was wet or dry. It is a delicate balance.