Pleeeeeeease stop using NTM silk touch leave-in

CalJay

I think your profile must say your country is afghan.

I use NTM as well no problems I love it! It makes my hair soft and moisturized.
Mocha Princess said:
Hey ladies. Who got the impression I was from Afghanistan and that I'm a type 1? :confused: I'm actually a fine 4b type and I don't mind using a lye relaxer, just not lye maintenance products for everyday use. I always thought that was a big no no, :nono: and quite risky. As I stated prior, the lye may be at an extremely low concentration in these products, but does anyone know this to be certain though? Everyone is just speculating as to the concentration of lye without knowing for sure. And yes, it would be great to have manageable hair without the use of chemicals which I'm sure you all agree as well. But just like you, I feel inclined to relax my hair with a lye relaxer, but the only difference is that I don't feel comfortable using everyday products that contain it. Trust me if I felt I could handle the pressure of my natural 4b hair without the use of chemicals, I would definetely have opted to stay natural. I've had my hair fall out from the root using products, yes I said "products." I was very surprised myself as I thought this kind of breakage was only possible from relaxer mishapses. Apparently I was wrong, and only want to warn people to be careful. I probably shouldn't have told you guys to stop using it altogether b/c everyone is different, and who am I to know for sure b/c I didn't put any of these products together. So I apologize to whoever I offended. I never intended to cause NTM contraversey or anything; just wanted you all to know that I was concerned about the lye element contained in the product. :look:

leleepop

Mocha Princess said:
Hey ladies. Who got the impression I was from Afghanistan and that I'm a type ? :confused: I'm actually a fine 4b type and I don't mind using a lye relaxer, just not lye maintenance products for everyday use. I always thought that was a big no no, :nono: and quite risky. As I stated prior, the lye may be at an extremely low concentration in these products, but does anyone know this to be certain though? Everyone is just speculating as to the concentration of lye without knowing for sure. And yes, it would be great to have manageable hair without the use of chemicals which I'm sure you all agree as well. But just like you, I feel inclined to relax my hair with a lye relaxer, but the only difference is that I don't feel comfortable using everyday products that contain it. Trust me if I felt I could handle the pressure of my natural 4b hair without the use of chemicals, I would definetely have opted to stay natural. I've had my hair fall out from the root using products, yes I said "products." I was very surprised myself as I thought this kind of breakage was only possible from relaxer mishapses. Apparently I was wrong, and only want to warn people to be careful. I probably shouldn't have told you guys to stop using it altogether b/c everyone is different, and who am I to know for sure b/c I didn't put any of these products together. So I apologize to whoever I offended. I never intended to cause NTM contraversey or anything; just wanted you all to know that I was concerned about the lye element contained in the product. :look:
It's in your profile.

Mocha Princess

I'm new to this forum so I hadn't even realized you could see any type of profile unless it was set up by the user. :scratchch I haven't had a chance to set mine up yet so ya'll musta seen the default then. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

MonaLisa

sylver2 said:
I can't speak for others, I can only speak for myself and my hair.
I love the entire line of NTM and have no mishaps or guesses about it.
I have been using it since 2004. The Silk touch, the DDC, the serum, the shampoo, the frizz cream.
I mean Neutrogena is not some new company that just popped up.
There are so many products that are used 24/7 that can easily be debated.
We can go thru the whole entire drugstore and probably everything short of a 100% all natural product, would have some questionable ingredient in it.

X Co-signing.....NTM user since 2004...;) No problems....

sylver2

Mocha Princess said:
Hey ladies. Who got the impression I was from Afghanistan and that I'm a type 1? :confused: I'm actually a fine 4b type and I don't mind using a lye relaxer, just not lye maintenance products for everyday use. I always thought that was a big no no, :nono: and quite risky. As I stated prior, the lye may be at an extremely low concentration in these products, but does anyone know this to be certain though? Everyone is just speculating as to the concentration of lye without knowing for sure. And yes, it would be great to have manageable hair without the use of chemicals which I'm sure you all agree as well. But just like you, I feel inclined to relax my hair with a lye relaxer, but the only difference is that I don't feel comfortable using everyday products that contain it. Trust me if I felt I could handle the pressure of my natural 4b hair without the use of chemicals, I would definetely have opted to stay natural. I've had my hair fall out from the root using products, yes I said "products." I was very surprised myself as I thought this kind of breakage was only possible from relaxer mishapses. Apparently I was wrong, and only want to warn people to be careful. I probably shouldn't have told you guys to stop using it altogether b/c everyone is different, and who am I to know for sure b/c I didn't put any of these products together. So I apologize to whoever I offended. I never intended to cause NTM contraversey or anything; just wanted you all to know that I was concerned about the lye element contained in the product. :look:

The bolded part made me laugh, theres no ntm controversy:lol: I appreciate u informing us of possible dangers within products.
I was just confused because u started this whole tirade against lye, then referring to silk touch as the 'lye touch leave in' saying our hair will fall out because of the drop of lye,etc....but then u relax your hair. :look:

Mocha Princess

Ok, I still don't think you're understanding what I'm trying to say. I personally have a problem with using products that contain lye, or any other type of relaxer chemicals other than ones that are for the intended purpose of relaxing my hair. If you haven't had any problems, then, I'm happy for you, but I just won't take the risk. Sylver, you mentioned that I won't use NTM, but then I'm willing to relax my hair, but to me, these are two totally different scenarios. Me relaxing my hair is a process that occurs ever so often as opposed to me applying, and leaving in a product that contains the very same chemical that relaxes my hair. The only reason I'm leary of doing so, is simply because I was always told that even small traces of extra relaxer chemical may overprocess, or begin to slowly dry the hair out. Again, this may not be the case, as the amount of lye in certain products may not make even make the smallest difference. The point I'm tryin to make is that I simply don't know, but do know that I won't be bargaining with the chances of messing my hair up over time. Everyone is entitled to feel differently in this regard b/c as philosophers would say, experience is relative to the individual, and all opinions have the element of subjectivity. There's no right or wrong answer unless someone can present facts to prove or disprove a theory, which was never even my intent in the first place.:look:

Dogmd

I still think that the soduim hydroxide ( a base) was added to neutralize the acidity of the product as a whole; thereby balancing the PH. Which is perfectly fine with me. I have a few acidic conditioners made by NEXXUS but the products like NTM work better on my hair. (4B AND THICK)

MissJ

When I used NTM, I didn't like it. I should have a problem with using it since it's been in a box for over a year.

Sistaslick

Mocha Princess said:
The only reason I'm leary of doing so, is simply because I was always told that even small traces of extra relaxer chemical may overprocess, or begin to slowly dry the hair out.

The lye in these daily use products is rendered "inactive" because the pH is not significant enough to begin the relaxer process. You have to have an extremely high pH for the lye to even work (the pH of the product has to be high enough to lift all of the cuticle layers and expose the cortex of the hair.-- if your product is acidic there is no lifting of the cuticle and there is no relaxer action. pH is important. The only reason lye operates as it does in relaxers is because of pH and high concentration of lye present. It works because there is nothing to counter the base until you begin the neutralizing process. The chemical simply cannot process at this new pH. In a product like NTM, the prevalence of acidic ingredients counters the base that is present in a miniscule amount, balancing the pH. If you really think about it on a chemical level, it all makes sense.

Everyone is just speculating as to the concentration of lye without knowing for sure.

Its not difficult to figure out the relative concentration. Look at the placement on the ingredient list. Second to last behind parabens. Parabens are preservatives that are found in products in concentrations of less than a percent, because they can be pretty toxic. If you have something in the list after that then obviously there is even less than that. The first 3-4 ingredients make up the bulk of the formulation and that is true for every product on the market.

We all know that lye has multiple purposes when used in certain ways so you can't really make sweeping generalizations about chemicals and ingredients. Look at lemon (citric acid)-- it has the power to bleach things, denature hair proteins when used overtime, and a tiny drop also has the power to lower and balance pH significantly. Yet it is present in millions of products. I think we just have to learn to accept the plural nature of our products and their ingredients.

kinda OT: If you don't like NTM, you HAVE to try Salerm 21. Its a wonderful creme type leave in and it won't do ya wrong. :lol:

Dogmd

Sistaslick said:
The lye in these daily use products is rendered "inactive" because the pH is not significant enough to begin the relaxer process. You have to have an extremely high pH for the lye to even work (the pH of the product has to be high enough to lift all of the cuticle layers and expose the cortex of the hair.-- if your product is acidic there is no lifting of the cuticle and there is no relaxer action. pH is important. The only reason lye operates as it does in relaxers is because of pH and high concentration of lye present. It works because there is nothing to counter the base until you begin the neutralizing process. The chemical simply cannot process at this new pH. In a product like NTM, the prevalence of acidic ingredients counters the base that is present in a miniscule amount, balancing the pH. If you really think about it on a chemical level, it all makes sense.

Its not difficult to figure out the relative concentration. Look at the placement on the ingredient list. Second to last behind parabens. Parabens are preservatives that are found in products in concentrations of less than a percent, because they can be pretty toxic. If you have something in the list after that then obviously there is even less than that. The first 3-4 ingredients make up the bulk of the formulation and that is true for every product on the market.

We all know that lye has multiple purposes when used in certain ways so you can't really make sweeping generalizations about chemicals and ingredients. Look at lemon (citric acid)-- it has the power to bleach things, denature hair proteins when used overtime, and a tiny drop also has the power to lower and balance pH significantly. Yet it is present in millions of products. I think we just have to learn to accept the plural nature of our products and their ingredients.

kinda OT: If you don't like NTM, you HAVE to try Salerm 21. Its a wonderful creme type leave in and it won't do ya wrong. :lol:

SO I was right!! YAAAH!! I didn't take 3 years of chemistry for nuthin!! I knew it had to be added to balance the pH!!

Ummm.. that is what you said right sistaslick??

Sistaslick

Dogmd said:
SO I was right!! YAAAH!! I didn't take 3 years of chemistry for nuthin!! I knew it had to be added to balance the pH!!

Ummm.. that is what you said right sistaslick??

Yeah! I wasn't the only one though. Quite a few people mentioned it in their posts.:lol: It seems that in this case they used a base to balance it out, but from what I've seen, most of the time there are acidic ingredients like citric acid used to normalize pH's in hair products. I've actually tried to contact neutrogena via email to confirm this, but they said I would need to call their business line with a question like that. I've tried to call but their business hours and my schedule are not working out:lol: I'll try again Monday and see what they have to say.

Mocha Princess

Thanks for the insight sistaslick, you're like my LHCF idol! :lol: But yeah, I've been eager to try that Salerm 21! I've read a lot of good reviews about it. Does it work to strengthen the hair, or does it moisturize? Also I wanted to ask sistaclick where you find the mineral-oil free ORS olive oil in the jar. I live in Minneapolis,MN and can't find it anywhere up here. :mad: I still use the regular formula because it still works wonders for me, but still want the new one though. :)

Mariaat40

Mocha Princess said:
I live in Minneapolis,MN and can't find it anywhere up here. :mad:

Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan! I'm in Minneapolis, too. Like most other products, you have to figure out what works for you. I've been using the NTM leave in since it came out and my hair is thriving.

leleepop

Mariaat40 said:
Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan! I'm in Minneapolis, too. Like most other products, you have to figure out what works for you. I've been using the NTM leave in since it came out and my hair is thriving.
ITA I use NTM and CON and its all good.:)

Sistaslick

Mocha Princess said:
Thanks for the insight sistaslick, you're like my LHCF idol! :lol: But yeah, I've been eager to try that Salerm 21! I've read a lot of good reviews about it. Does it work to strengthen the hair, or does it moisturize? Also I wanted to ask sistaclick where you find the mineral-oil free ORS olive oil in the jar. I live in Minneapolis,MN and can't find it anywhere up here. :mad: I still use the regular formula because it still works wonders for me, but still want the new one though. :)

Girl you are a mess! :grin: Definitely try the Salerm! It does have a bit of protein, but its a great balance of protein and moisture. Your hair won't feel crunchy from too much protein over time or feel gummy from not enough- to me it strikes the perfect balance. Its a tad creamier than the NTM which is perfect for my hair.

I get the mineral oil free ORS from Walmart. This is the only place I've ever seen it on the shelves. Everywhere else still has the regular formula, and honestly I'd still buy it if Walmart was out of the MO free one. ORS has always worked well me well before the new one came out, so I can't even begin to discriminate on that one.:lol:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Sistaslick, thanks for your insight.

When you mentioned the stuff about parabens, that made me wonder about several products that have the "good ingredients" listed after the parabens :ohwell:. If parabens are less than a percent, then why even put those good ingredients in there since they're gonna be a lesser (is that a word? lol) concentration than the parabens. I swear, these hair companies love to get over on us. That's why we all need to learn to read labels, and when I say "learn to read," I don't mean looking at it and pronouncing the words correctly, I mean looking at the words and know what they mean, and also paying attention to the placement of the ingredients.

Sistaslick

TSU, you know what is even funnier?

Some shampoos and conditioners list all of the herbs . . . like peach extract, jojoba extract, and ginseng first in the ingredient list and then say "in purified water" after all of them. They basically float the herbs in water and then list all of the herbs first like its rich in herbs or something! Instead of just saying water, other stuff, cones, parabens, and then the herbs where they really belong.:lol: Elucence's shampoo does this, but I've seen this pop up on a few products.

Prosperity711

Sistaslick,

What are your favorite products, I'm new here and there are so many products for diffent things I don't know what to go buy:eek: I'm a natural, just colored my hair a week ago and I want to get a good clafifying shampoo, deep conditioner, something for breakage and to make my hairline grow back and a good flat iron, and whatever else I need to start off, I want to find several to try for a while and stick to them, to see if they work, everytime I read the board I want to try everything that works for someone else that is't realistic nor can I afford to buy a ton of products. What did you start with and stayed with?

MzOptimistic

Mocha Princess said:
Well, if you feel comfortable using products with lye in it, then more power to ya. LOL I just know I won't be using that "Lye touch leave-in!" I like to be safe than sorry, as my hair is nothing to toy with. I prefer my hair to be on my head, NOT IN MY HAND! JK

I prefer to have my hair ON my head and NOT in my hand also. I am obviously doing something right because my hair is very healthy and it is growing. NTM baby alllll day baby:woot:

SignatureBeauty

Well I see no problem with Lye! Alot of Ladies here use LYE and they have beautiful Long Hair & It is Healthy. It is always something coming out that will cause this & cause that & Yes I know our health is very important to us, But do anyone make a Product that is 100% Natural? I mean with nothing in it but the good wholesome stuff?

To make it shelf life it has to have some kind of chemical in it. But maybe I am wrong if so Correct me LOL!!!

NTM is very popular among alot of ladies on here and their hair is beautiful and I am talking about Relaxed & Natural. Even those Natural Shampoo Bars are made with Lye. But It is good to know that people want to look out for the rest of us concerning chemicals & I Thank You for that.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Sistaslick said:
TSU, you know what is even funnier?

Some shampoos and conditioners list all of the herbs . . . like peach extract, jojoba extract, and ginseng first in the ingredient list and then say "in purified water" after all of them. They basically float the herbs in water and then list all of the herbs first like its rich in herbs or something! Instead of just saying water, other stuff, cones, parabens, and then the herbs where they really belong.:lol: Elucence's shampoo does this, but I've seen this pop up on a few products.

Elasta QP products do this. People used to say that "Mineral Oil" was far down the list on the Elasta Recovery Oil Moisturizer, but little did they know that "in purified water" trick. Mineral oil is actually the 2nd ingredient in that product.

As far as Elucence goes, you're right, they do that little "in purified water" trick too, but I'm glad that their products still work.

chayil0427

I contacted Neutrogena about the pH of silk touch leave in and it's 3.5 to 4.5 which is quite acidic and very good for the hair. The Sodium Hydroxide is used to keep the product from being TOO acidic because of the other ingredients. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NOT TO USE THIS PRODUCT!

Chayil

InnerSoul

sodium hydroxide is also in one of my jojoba conditioning shampoos.... and IMO the sodium hydroxide just acts as a cleanser... I had wondered why they put that in the shampoos (also in my CON shampoo) so far my hair is still on my head and still growing... mind u I don't use these shampoos in consistency..., I have so many poos that I rotate with each wash:lol:

rdm

chayil0427 said:
I contacted Neutrogena about the pH of silk touch leave in and it's 3.5 to 4.5 which is quite acidic and very good for the hair. The Sodium Hydroxide is used to keep the product from being TOO acidic because of the other ingredients. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NOT TO USE THIS PRODUCT!

Chayil

Thanks for going to the source and clarifying this for us!!! I love my NTM leave in!!!!

Nenah

chayil0427 said:

Chayil

I can't believe I read this whole thread:lol: But I use NTM Leave in as well and wanted to know the outcome:lol: So thanks to all for the info and for letting us know that our hair will remain on our head and not our hands.