Polysorbate 80 for thin hair

curlmama

I recently purchased this product from Puritan.com (btw--it also has biotin and niacin in it). Has anyone had an experience with it. I read this about it (From: http://www.1to1vitamins.com/products/polysorbate.html):

Polysorbate 80 gently removes the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) from the scalp. DHT is the hormone that causes hair follicles to stop producing new hair resulting in premature baldness. Regular use of Polysorbate 80 may result in healthier, more beautiful hair. This product should be used before shampooing. Massage it into your scalp and leave it on your head for about five minutes and then wash it out. Polysorbate 80 activates the active growth phase of hair to give sleeping follicles the green light to start growing again.

ajacks

I used this when I worked at Vitamin World in college, but I was damaging my hair with glued in weaves, heat, etc. etc. So I am not sure if this stuff worked or not. It was a popular product in the store.

curlmama

I used it this morning as a pre-poo on my scalp and it is thick like castor oil. It is odorless and was easy to apply.
I'll keep you posted...

Neith

Is it safe for this use? I'm sure I come in contact with polysorate 80 fairly often, however, is it really safe to put directly on your scalp in that potency?

It says that it removes DHT... DHT
is a naturally occuring hormone. How does it remove a hormone from your body and is it even healthy to do so?

Finally... DHT isn't what makes the hair shed in normal women. Wouldn't this be good for men who are going bald? DHT generally does not cause female pattern baldness and we don't have very much in the system anyway since DHT is very closely related to testosterone. I think of it as "super testosterone"

curlmama

I have read some about female pattern baldness since my family has a history of it and DHT can be a cause. Even a little DHT in women can cause hair loss (according to what I have read and my dr.) I used Rogaine and had great results but it was drying to my hair and dryed out and caused breakage.

I do not think you have to use Polysorbate for life like Rogaine and I am trying to transition from Rogaine to more natural alternatives (MSM, Aloe Vera Gel, Emu Oil, etc.). I stopped using Rogaine in July and started using the natural alternatives and I have not had any hair fall out and I continue to see thickening around my thin area. I am hoping the Polysorbate supports that growth.

curlmama

I am using Qhemet's Burdock Root Butter and Karkady Tea Mist, and in a color applicator bottle a mix of MSM, Aloe vera Gel, Emu and I just added Polysorbate 80 (Before this mix I was using Kinky Curly's Transitioners Tonic which has MSM, Biotin, Aloe Vera Gel, etc.).

I also started taking MSM, GNC hair nails and skin and flax, fish and borage oils (I take Walgreens mix of all 3)

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

Is it safe for this use? I'm sure I come in contact with polysorate 80 fairly often, however, is it really safe to put directly on your scalp in that potency?

It says that it removes DHT... DHT is a naturally occuring hormone. How does it remove a hormone from your body and is it even healthy to do so?

Finally... DHT isn't what makes the hair shed in normal women. Wouldn't this be good for men who are going bald? DHT generally does not cause female pattern baldness and we don't have very much in the system anyway since DHT is very closely related to testosterone. I think of it as "super testosterone"

What causes female pattern baldness? I thought DHT and/or it is hereditary did?

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Is it safe for this use?yes I'm sure I come in contact with polysorate 80 fairly often, however, is it really safe to put directly on your scalp in that potency?again, yes.

It says that it removes DHT... DHT is a naturally occuring hormone. How does it remove a hormone from your body and is it even healthy to do so? it is absorbed into the scalp or you may take supplements that work from the inside out...

Finally... DHT isn't yes, it is. what makes the hair shed in normal well, what do you consider normal? If you have chronic hair loss, this is what is needed to combat it, especially if diagnosed quickly enough. women. Wouldn't this be good for men who are going bald? it is DHT generally does not cause female pattern baldness yes it does, research proves it, dermatologists support it and we don't have very much in the system anyway yes we do, and sometimes it is overactive since DHT is very closely related to testosterone.all women have testosterone. all men have estrogen. I think of it as "super testosterone"
In alopecia-challenged women, they do have a larger amount of dht present in their system. All women do. DHT is what causes thinning hair in women. So many products will shut off the over production of dht to get your hair follicles back into the "produce and keep hair" phase. It is not harmful to do so. Even for men, if they want their hair back they are to use dht-blockers or inhibitors. It is very safe. Now if you are not challenged with thinning hair, this would not necessarily be for you. But for others this could keep their hair on their head and bring their old hair back.

curlmama

Great info (thanks for the thread). I will keep you all updated if this helps (it sounds like it can not hurt).

mrsmeredith

Polysorbate 80 is used in the bath and body care business. It is an emulsifier. I use it in products but I don't think I would use it straight though. Not saying something is wrong with it I just think its a marketing ploy to sale it that way and will not serve a beneficial use.

AtlantaJJ

I take Saw Palmeto for it's DHT blocking properties....It's working well for me.

FPB runs in my family too so I'm doing what I can to prevent the onset.

Neith

In alopecia-challenged women, they do have a larger amount of dht present in their system. All women do. DHT is what causes thinning hair in women. So many products will shut off the over production of dht to get your hair follicles back into the "produce and keep hair" phase. It is not harmful to do so. Even for men, if they want their hair back they are to use dht-blockers or inhibitors. It is very safe. Now if you are not challenged with thinning hair, this would not necessarily be for you. But for others this could keep their hair on their head and bring their old hair back.

Note that I said "generally" it is not the cause. I didn't say it is never the cause.

That's why there is male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness... it's not the same. Sometimes DHT is the cause, however especially in WOMEN there are many other culprits.

This link goes into it...

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/women-hair-loss-causes

In any case my point is... unless you are going bald and know for a fact that it's being caused by DHT (which you can't ASSUME is always the case in women), then this won't help you even if it does work the way it says it does. It's not going to make a normal person's hair thicker.

OhmyKimB

Hmm....I've used this for a while, but since I really started using it to pre poo and deep condition my hair is in better condition....