Pop Winans dies

meka

Pop Winans dies

Grammy-nominated Pop Winans dies in Nashville

Tribune wire report 10:35 PM CDT, April 8, 2009 The patriarch of the award-winning gospel music family, David "Pop" Winans Sr., died Wednesday. He was 76. Winans died at a Nashville hospice, where he had been since January after suffering a heart attack and stroke last October, a Los Angeles public relations company representing the family said in a statement. In 1999, Winans was nominated for a Grammy for his solo CD "Uncensored." He and his wife Delores, known as Mom Winans, were nominated for their CD "Mom & Pop Winans" in 1989. She was at his bedside when he died, the statement said. He was the father of BeBe and CeCe Winans, known for their hits "Addictive Love" and "I'll Take You There." Four other children -- Michael, Marvin, Carvin and Ronald -- performed as The Winans, recording such songs as "Ain't No Need to Worry" featuring Anita Baker.

In recent years, Mom and Pop Winans appeared regularly at Benny Hinn crusades and on The Trinity Broadcasting Network's "Praise the Lord" program.

David Winans, a native of Detroit, began singing with a gospel quartet at age 18.

He later worked as a car salesman, taxi driver, custodian, barber and also was a preacher. After four of his children signed a recording contract, he was their manager for a while.

David Winans also helped start youth groups in Detroit. The Winans had 10 children. Son Ronald died in 2005.

"The Winans family wishes to thank everyone for their prayers and continued support, but would appreciate privacy at this time," the statement said.

Memorial services are planned for next Tuesday and Wednesday at Perfecting Church in Detroit where Marvin is the senior pastor.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I loved seeing him and his wife together as a happily married couple. :yep:

May he rest in peace. God bless the Winan's Family. In Prayer for them. :rosebud:

**Tasha*Love**

I heard this on last night but could not find any out any more information. Thanks Meka for posting.

I will keep the Winans in my prayers :rosebud:

tgrowe

Wow, thanks for posting. Something went all over me when I read this. I loved hearing him sing "This train is bound for glory, this train." He sang with all his might and passion for the Lord, and it showed. Will keep the Winans in my prayers.