Pope Benedict XVI Resigning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice & Wavy

(Photo: Vincenzo Pinto, AFP/Getty Images)

• Pope Benedict XVI will step down Feb. 28
  • He will be the first pontiff to resign in 600 years
  • Diminishing strength cited as reason behind resignation
The Vatican said on Monday in a shock announcement that Pope Benedict XVI will resign his office on February 28.

The Italian news agency ANSA first reported the news, which it said was made in Latin during a meeting of cardinals in Rome. "After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths due to an advanced age are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry," he told the cardinals. "I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only by words and deeds but no less with prayer and suffering.

However, in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of St. Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary — strengths which in the last few months, have deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me."

TEXT: Pope Benedict XVI's resignation

The pope's brother, Georg Ratzinger, said the pontiff had been advised by his doctor not to take any more transatlantic trips and had been considering stepping down for months. Talking from his home in Regensburg, Germany, Georg Ratzinger said his brother was having increasing difficulty walking and that his resignation was part of a "natural process."

The announcement comes as a surprise to millions of Catholics around the world.

MORE: Pope Benedict XVI first pope to resign in 600 years

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope in 2005 after the death of John Paul II. He is 85 years old and will be the first pontiff to resign in 600 years. The last pope to resign was Pope Gregory XII, who stepped down in 1415 in a deal to end the Great Western Schism among competing papal claimants.

Benedict called his choice "a decision of great importance for the life of the church."

http://www.usatoday.com/

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I just read that this morning... interesting....

Hope you're doing well, sis! :grin:

Galadriel

Many of us are wondering as well.

N&W, Pope Benedict is 85/86 years old, and in poor health. Besides overseeing Rome (the pope is the Bishop of Rome), he also heads the universal Church, meets with visitors, dignitaries, travels, performs baptisms and administers sacraments, etc. It's a lot of work, a huge task, and I can see why he'd resign, though it does sadden me.

Belle Du Jour

God bless Pope Benedict XVI and whomever his successor will be. Leading the Church (as our Lord commanded Peter before He ascended into Heaven) has never been an easy responsibility, especially in the modern age. I'm sure this decision involved a lot of discernment and hopefully the next pope will continue to lead the Church. I've seen many fallen Catholics and non-Catholics on FB talking about this is an opportunity for the Church to modernize on contraception, homosexuality, etc. As long as God is in control, the Church will never bow to the whims of men. I wish him many more years of life and hope he enjoys his rest.

Belle Du Jour

N&W, Pope Benedict is 85/86 years old, and in poor health. Besides overseeing Rome (the pope is the Bishop of Rome), he also heads the universal Church, meets with visitors, dignitaries, travels, performs baptisms and administers sacraments, etc. It's a lot of work, a huge task, and I can see why he'd resign, though it does sadden me.

Basically. There's nothing more to the story than that.

auparavant

God bless Pope Benedict XVI and whomever his successor will be. Leading the Church (as our Lord commanded Peter before He ascended into Heaven) has never been an easy responsibility, especially in the modern age. I'm sure this decision involved a lot of discernment and hopefully the next pope will continue to lead the Church. I've seen many fallen Catholics and non-Catholics on FB talking about this is an opportunity for the Church to modernize on contraception, homosexuality, etc. As long as God is in control, the Church will never bow to the whims of men. I wish him many more years of life and hope he enjoys his rest.

Haha...I heard a young person voicing opinion that we need a younger person to reflect our modern changes....um, child, your church is not going to ever change...maybe you should go back through CCD and actually take notes this time? :giggle: I thought that was a riot, @Belle Du Jour

One positive "change" the church has made in regards to homosexuality is one of mercy, love and understanding. It's never changed its view that the base is inordinate origins from man's general sinful state but it does realize that being of said mind is not in itself an active sin...the actions of homosexual behavior are the sin.

In fact, our stance on family and morality has remained consistent. Pope Benedict XVI didn't change a thing. It will continue.

Last edited:

momi

Does anyone here know about the prophecies of Saint Malachy? These are not Biblical prophecies, but interesting nonetheless. In keeping with the prophesy the next Pope whom he calls "Peter the Roman" will be the last pope.

"In the persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock among many tribulations after which the seven hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people."

Nice & Wavy

Thank you for sharing. I posted this thread before I knew exactly why he resigned. I appreciate your kindness to explain it to me.

Nice & Wavy

Does anyone here know about the prophecies of Saint Malachy? These are not Biblical prophecies, but interesting nonetheless. In keeping with the prophesy the next Pope whom he calls "Peter the Roman" will be the last pope.

"In the persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock among many tribulations after which the seven hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people."
Wow, interesting!

auparavant

Yes, and Our Lady has also given us a glimpse of future events. :yep:

HeChangedMyName

I watched this youtube last week and immediately upon hearing of his resignation, I was like :nono: This video states that He would only be Pope for a short time. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOQ2s5CEPaw&list=UU79naBVmUyEFWNl7LA_VQDg&index=2

I know no one knows the day or time, but I believe we are very close. he still has until the 28th and a lot can transpire between now and then.

This video series talks about the seven trumpets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdjyIoyP3Xo

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

what I don't want to see is the next pope claiming to be a resurrection or kindred spirit or channeling or connected to ANY person.

Belle Du Jour

According to the video, the next pope will be one of the last seven(all of whom are deceased). We already know that the antichrist will come and fool people into thinking he is the resurrected Christ.

Let me free your mind right now: the pope is the vicar of Christ on earth and can therefore never be the antichrist :yep:

auparavant

I do remember something about there being 2 left that Jesus and Our Lady picked. I'm not sure if that was a revelation that has been condemned or not.

auparavant

Source

Is the Next Pope the Last Pope?
By Father Dwight Longenecker
February 11, 2013 11:44 A.M.

In the year 1140, an Irish bishop named Malachy visited Rome with a group of monks. They climbed the Janiculum Hill to thank God for the safe completion of their journey. While there (so the story goes), Malachy had a vision in which he “saw” 111 Popes to the end of time. Each Pope was chronicled with by a short, cryptic epigram in Latin. And with the resignation of Benedict XVI, the last Pope on Saint Malachy’s list is about to be elected.

The prophecy for the last Pope contained a alarming vision: “During the last persecution of the Holy Roman church there shall sit Peter of Rome, who shall feed the sheep amidst the many great tribulations, and when these have passed, the City of the Seven Hills shall be utterly destroyed and the awful Judge will judge the people.”

Conspiracy theorists and Nostradamus nuts love poring over the prophecies of Saint Malachy, straining to make sense of his cryptic messages. The epigram for Benedict XVI was “the glory of the olive,” so after his election the prophecy hounds pointed out that there is a famous Benedictine monastery called Monte Oliveto. He chose his papal name after Saint Benedict. Saint Benedict is the glory of Monte Oliveto. It’s totally clear right?

It’s all very exciting to think that the last Pope is about to be elected, so the second coming and the end of the world is nigh.

The problems, however, are manifold. First of all, the prognosticators behave like all conspiracy theorists and prophecy lovers: Begin with the theory or prophecy and make the facts fit.

The second problem is something called documentary evidence. Although Saint Malachy was a historic figure from the twelfth century, there is no mention of his prophecies before 1590, and, surprise, surprise, the prophetic mottos for the Popes are quite accurate up to the late 1500s. Then they become obscure and inaccurate. In addition, the seer Nostradamus lived in the late 1500s, a time when there was a fashionable fascination with prophecies expressed in cryptic language. Scholars have judged the prophecies of the twelfth-century St Malachy to be a rather poor 16th-century forgery — probably produced to influence a papal election at the time.

So you can probably sleep peacefully tonight. The end of the world is probably not nigh.

On the other hand . . . why not prepare your soul, just to be on the safe side?

— Father Dwight Longenecker is the author of the Screwtape Letters-type Lent book The Gargoyle Code.

Nice & Wavy

HeChangedMyName as I read your posts, this came to my mind:

John 14: 16-18 proclaims,
“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”
“And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever — the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.”

The Holy Spirit is the only One who we need to look to for these answers we seek, as He is our Teacher and Counselor! I know you know this, but wanted to share what is on my heart at this time :love3:

MrsHaseeb

HeChangedMyName as I read your posts, this came to my mind:

John 14: 16-18 proclaims,“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” “And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever — the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.”

The Holy Spirit is the only One who we need to look to for these answers we seek, as He is our Teacher and Counselor! I know you know this, but wanted to share what is on my heart at this time :love3:

Because thanks wasn't enough... Its about depending on the Holy Ghost. Only someone truly filled has spiritual eyes and ears to be led by Him!!

Sent from my 4G HTC Thunderbolt using LHCF

Belle Du Jour

And we believe that the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit has guided the Church and the seat of Peter until this very day. :yep: The teaching authority was handed over to Peter by Christ Himself before He left this earth.

So when Christ said, a house divided against itself can never stand, how could that possibly mean that the antichrist could infiltrate the church? That would mean Jesus' words were not true, which we all know is impossible. 2000+ years and still going. . .nope, Satan will not prevail.

Belle Du Jour

I do remember something about there being 2 left that Jesus and Our Lady picked. I'm not sure if that was a revelation that has been condemned or not.

People need to stop playing. God has been giving all of us ample opportunities to seek the Lord and the truth while it may be found. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.