Post you SUMMERTIME hair tips/recs here!

melodee

Let's share all of our fav summer tips and product recommendations. I could use some advice on dealing with natural hair in pools/ocean. My daughter is usually a tangled mess afterward!

List tips about air drying, wash and gos, pool hair care, vacation styles, summer color/highlights,products that are hot for summertime...

berry87

Hi there:woot:
This is actually my first summer really taking care of my hair so therfore i'll stick to my regimen.
Wash monday with *** KeraCare Hydrating poo ** DC with Humecto Air dry in rollers.

Thursday *** Co Wash with silixon mix ** Rinse with nettle leaves Air dry in rollers

My vactaion is in july and have no clue how to do my hair:confused: I wanted braids but i mostly get those in the fall/winter:) Any suggestions?

I might make a mist for my hair consiting of water and essential oils for the
hot dayz:)
TIPS** Mist and moist it up and bun it up!:lachen:
** For Special Occasions** I'll try braid outs!
As for going to the pool or beach no clue what to do maybe a clarify after.??

Last edited:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I am constantly revising my regimen, last year was my first summer natural and I ran into some trouble....mainly with sun/heat damage. So the one thing I KNOW i'm doing is using products or ingredients that protect my hair from frying like:
Sedal Verano Intense (leave-in w/sunscreen)
Shea butter (natural sun protection)

I'm still looking for other products too but I'll be mixing these into my products for days that I know I'm gonna be out in the sun for most of the day. I tried these out in feb. when I went on a cruise to the Carib. and they worked nicely, no sun damage.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
melodee said:
I could use some advice on dealing with natural hair in pools/ocean. My daughter is usually a tangled mess afterward!

This is what I used to do:

1. Braid my hair up in 4-6 braids (or more)
  2. Saturate my hair with fresh water (so it would not absorb too much of the chlorinated or salt water)
  3. When I got out of the water, applied conditioner to the braids before taking them out one-by-one and gently detangling
  4. CO-wash or shampoo the hair if there is build up (a mild, clarifying shampoo is more than enough) followed by a good conditioner
  5. Dry hair using your preferred drying method (I usually would just seal my hair with some oil, re-braid, and let air dry)
HTH!!! :) :) :)

beana

Melodee, my sister has natural 3c/4a hair and she keeps it in cornrows/ braided (with her own hair). She swims maybe 1x a week and saturates her hair with conditioner afterwards then comes home and takes her braids out, slathers her hair with more cheapie conditioner, then washes, airdries her hair and rebraids it.

As for me, I plan on washing and conditioning my hair every 4-7 days. I'll throw a braidout in every now and then (my beach or weekend style)

Taya

I'm thinking of c/o washes= 2x week w/ either Suave coconut cond, MnT cond. Condition w/ either Humectress, Humecto or Folicure moisturizing cond. Poo= 1-2x a month w/either Suave clarifying poo( purple), MnT poo or Keracare hydrating poo, Aphogee for damaged hair or Aphogee Evening Primrose oil poo.

Deep cond w/ Aubrey's Organic GPB (on dry hair than c/o wash and cond)

Leave-in= Rusk Sensories Smoother( if stretching) or MnT or IC Fantasia.
Not sure if I will continue to stretch or retouch June 15th.
But if stretching I will use gel 2-3x a week. Sta sof fro or NTM silk touch leave-in w/oil( dry hair) and bun it.
If I retouch I'll be wearing some rollersets for weekends and bunning the rest of the week.
This is a plan not sure if I'll stick to it. Since I am a terrible PJ (LOL) that's why I got so many products listed. But I am trying to recover,but they(products) just keep calling me.(lol)
Oh yeah, I read somewhere that you can put conditioner on your hair before going swimming, I've never tried it,so can't say how it works.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I thought that you apply the conditioner to your hair before entering the pool?

I do the same thing in the summer as I do in the winter. I DC twice a week. I CO-wash on the days that I am not DCing. I also try to do protein (thanks SistaSlick :) ) when my hair requests it. However, I do let my hair down more in the summer.

HoneyDew

I have not quite worked out my entire routine, but I am going to airdry the entire summer. I even gave my BF my blowdryer to keep at his house so I won't be tempted.

Miss*Tress

While I'm on holiday, I'll CO wash every night and dry in twists and wear a twistout in the day. That's the plan anyway as I'm not getting my relaxer touchup until the end of July.

princesmich

For me in the summer, I do my hair rather than going to the salon, it's just too hot to be under a hair dryer for an hour. I do a lot of flat twist, braid my own hair up in a ponytail and curl the ends, and my all time fav is braidouts. I'll be washing my hair 2 to 3 x per week, Garnier fructis and gueye's will be my primary summer products. I love em.

Keen

Summer is my designated time to enjoy my hair. I stretch thoughout the entire winter and spring.

I will CW and airdry twice a week. Maybe flatiron a couple of time and of course rollerset if I have time.

melodee

Thanks for the tips concerning my daughter's hair.

I do lots of wash and gos in the summer. I don't mind wet hair when it's warm out.

If I'm not braided up, I usually take a phony pony or two on vacation with me. They are great for a quick style when you've come out of the pool or ocean and need to take a quick shower, get dressed up, and go to dinner, and you don't want to bust out the blowderyer or the curling irons.

Rather than to go out with my hair in a soggy ponytail, I do a baggy method and cover with a curly pony.

Also, a makeup tip-;) -buy a small insulated lunch bag and a freezable cool pack to transport makeup in if you're going out for the day and can't do without lipstick or foundation for a touch up. Or, if you're going on a picnic, just put your meltable "must-haves" in a ziplock and throw them in your ice chest. This really beats getting in the car and finding your lipstick has turned to mud all over your front seat.

pretty-girl#1

My summa time regime/ tips are to keep the hair as moisturized as possible. I believe, due the the sun and global warming, the summer atmosphere will be hot and dryer than last year. Keep those ends wet and conditioned!

Isis

pretty-girl#1 said:
My summa time regime/ tips are to keep the hair as moisturized as possible. I believe, due the the sun and global warming, the summer atmosphere will be hot and dryer than last year. Keep those ends wet and conditioned!
ITA and will be doing this myself. I love that my leave-in has good UV protection although I'll be keeping my hair protected when out in the sun with a good, silk scarf ( a fashionable one) or a large-brimmed, floppy hat, lined with satin.

sassyhair

This summer I plan to rock the big wavy indian hair in a weave. So with my leave out hair I will do a braidout and keep it moisturized. I mist my hair daily with infusium and water. No heat!