Potential damaged hair follicle (thinning scalp) - can it be fixed?

Mystic

I never had this problem when I was relaxed, but I did a BC while back and used braids and half wigs to grow my hair out. As my hair gets longer and thicker, sometimes - no matter how gentle I am - my scalp, especially the very front and a few section of the sides feel sore and when I examine closer, I realize that those parts are much thinner than other areas. I was wondering if the soreness was a result of not been natural for a while and now having to comb this thick mess but I thought not, because I have no issue with the back. I am afraid that the follicles in a small section of the front and sides may have been damaged and I might go bald eventually:nono:.

For the record, I do not wear tight braids (I don't even braid my hair much anymore) but maybe the half wiggy thingy could have contributed - don't know if I may have drawn the cord too tight:wallbash:. Women with thinning hair especially in the front does not run in my family so I am assuming my hair follicle may have been damaged by the braids/wigs I used. Can I fix it? Has anyone recovered from a patch of thinning scalp? What did you do?

morehairplease

I never had this problem when I was relaxed, but I did a BC while back and used braids and half wigs to grow my hair out. As my hair gets longer and thicker, sometimes - no matter how gentle I am - my scalp, especially the very front and a few section of the sides feel sore and when I examine closer, I realize that those parts are much thinner than other areas. I was wondering if the soreness was a result of not been natural for a while and now having to comb this thick mess but I thought not, because I have no issue with the back. I am afraid that the follicles in a small section of the front and sides may have been damaged and I might go bald eventually:nono:.

For the record, I do not wear tight braids (I don't even braid my hair much anymore) but maybe the half wiggy thingy could have contributed - don't know if I may have drawn the cord too tight:wallbash:. Women with thinning hair especially in the front does not run in my family so I am assuming my hair follicle may have been damaged by the braids/wigs I used. Can I fix it? Has anyone recovered from a patch of thinning scalp? What did you do?

Hi there,

By thinning scalp what exactly do you mean? I noticed this past weekend, that I have a small area that appears to have no follicles/smooth and it has me freaking out, too. By thinning scalp do you mean spacey scalp? If so, I actual started a thread regarding 'spacey scalp' after receiving a consultation from a local stylist once. You can view it here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=289753&highlight=spacey+scalp

Mystic

Wow, I am so glad I posted this - thanks for the link, I will read it asap. A small section of the side is spacey and the front is thinning (like I can see through it). If I take a picture, it won't be evident but it is much thinner than the back.

msa

I don't know if this will help but I've read that emu oil can help reawaken dormant or damaged hair follicles. Maybe it will help you?

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
I have the same problem. Thinning hair runs in my family both parents have alopecia that is why I stopped perming at age 25. I have been to dermatologist and she prescribed me a steroid and I have had steroid shots but my spot is still there. I have noticed that my hair overall has been thinning out over the years. I keep an eye out on it and I try to keep it clean, I don't know what to do at this point. I want to take monixidil or something before it gets too bad and more noticible. I heard that cod liver oil and flaxseed helps to getting more follicles. My spot becomes tender sometimes when I use the steroid it helps but it comes back though. Sorry, I can't be of more help but I am in kind of the same boat.

Mystic

Thanks Tishee! your thread helped me out a lot. I think mine might be stress related - finishing school and all. I also think my sides might be less dense than other parts so I am going to keep an eye on it. If I see any changes over time, I will keep you in mind for updates. Thanks again for your prompt response.

Hi there,

By thinning scalp what exactly do you mean? I noticed this past weekend, that I have a small area that appears to have no follicles/smooth and it has me freaking out, too. By thinning scalp do you mean spacey scalp? If so, I actual started a thread regarding 'spacey scalp' after receiving a consultation from a local stylist once. You can view it here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=289753&highlight=spacey+scalp

Mystic

Thanks MSA - hope it's stress related so now that school is out, I will see if it thickens up again. I have emu oil so I will give it shot. Thanks a lot.

Nonie

My advice: massage, massage, massage.

People get excited when they feel tingling or get a sore spot on their scalps because they interpret that to be an indication of growth spurt. I on the other hand, do not get excited but instead get proactive massaging that spot as if my life depended on it. This is because when I had a bald spot in 2003/2004, the bald spot was very tender and it itched. Also bald people will tell you that their scalps were tender at the time they lost their hair...so I don't take any unusual feeling on my scalp lightly. Massaging not only helps increase circulation so that those follicles that might be "unhappy" are being supplied with all the nourishment they can get and oxygen, but it also keeps your scalp supple. Bald folks have very tight, rigid scalps, so anything I can do to keep mine from getting that way is a good thing.

When I found my bald spots, I was very active in finding out all I can about hair loss, and one of the things I learned was that the mistake people make when they start losing hair is that they baby the spot that's balding by not touching it. That I learned is the last thing you should do because one of the things that will kill a follicle real quick is absense of "food" and oxygen. So if you're eating well and taking all these supplements and for some reason the blood isn't delivering them to the follicles, then they will die. So if you can improve delivery of the necessary nutrients, that's part of the answer. So massage, massage, massage.

Now I am not a fan of minoxidil. That's the active ingredient in Rogaine. The problem with it is while it will grow back the hair you lost, if you ever stop using it, you will lose that hair you grew. Also the hair is never the same as what you lost. So while I understand that sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do even if it means a lifetime commitment to minoxidil, I prefer to try out other options first and see if perhaps there isn't a better solution that won't haunt me for life. That was my thinking anyway when I had hair loss. I used natural remedies and I share my story in the link below.

Also I'd like to mention that anything you eat that is of no nutritional value to you takes up the space of stuff your hair really could benefit from. So refined sugar, salt, junk...should be eliminated in favor of foods that are actually good for hair and health. If you are going to improve nutrient delivery to needy follicles, the least you could do is supply the delivery vehicle with stuff that is useful and not useless.

My story: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=39645

*~Mocha~*

my dermatologist advised me to use Nioxion scalp theraphy and scalp treatment and it has done wonder for me. MY edges were thin and at one point almost bald and its 98% filled in.

achangedlife

A hairdresser I used in the past swore by nioxin. She always used the shampoo as the first lather following with a moisturizing shampoo. Then she used the conditioner followed by a moisturizing condition. She used in on all her clients. I didn't have any scalp issues but my hair was thicker and fuller when she was doing it.

newflowers

Definitely massage the area. You might check out www.skinbio.com - excellent information about the physiology of growing hair - exemplary products too.

There is also a thread her somewhere about a combination of essential oils that were used grow hair in a Scottish medical study.

Mystic

Wow Nonie!!! Thanks a million for this lengthy and insightful response! I have been massaging, massaging and will continue to do so. I will read your thread below.

People get excited when they feel tingling or get a sore spot on their scalps because they interpret that to be an indication of growth spurt. I on the other hand, do not get excited but instead get proactive massaging that spot as if my life depended on it. This is because when I had a bald spot in 2003/2004, the bald spot was very tender and it itched. Also bald people will tell you that their scalps were tender at the time they lost their hair...so I don't take any unusual feeling on my scalp lightly. Massaging not only helps increase circulation so that those follicles that might be "unhappy" are being supplied with all the nourishment they can get and oxygen, but it also keeps your scalp supple. Bald folks have very tight, rigid scalps, so anything I can do to keep mine from getting that way is a good thing.

When I found my bald spots, I was very active in finding out all I can about hair loss, and one of the things I learned was that the mistake people make when they start losing hair is that they baby the spot that's balding by not touching it. That I learned is the last thing you should do because one of the things that will kill a follicle real quick is absense of "food" and oxygen. So if you're eating well and taking all these supplements and for some reason the blood isn't delivering them to the follicles, then they will die. So if you can improve delivery of the necessary nutrients, that's part of the answer. So massage, massage, massage.

Now I am not a fan of minoxidil. That's the active ingredient in Rogaine. The problem with it is while it will grow back the hair you lost, if you ever stop using it, you will lose that hair you grew. Also the hair is never the same as what you lost. So while I understand that sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do even if it means a lifetime commitment to minoxidil, I prefer to try out other options first and see if perhaps there isn't a better solution that won't haunt me for life. That was my thinking anyway when I had hair loss. I used natural remedies and I share my story in the link below.

Also I'd like to mention that anything you eat that is of no nutritional value to you takes up the space of stuff your hair really could benefit from. So refined sugar, salt, junk...should be eliminated in favor of foods that are actually good for hair and health. If you are going to improve nutrient delivery to needy follicles, the least you could do is supply the delivery vehicle with stuff that is useful and not useless.

Nonie

Wow Nonie!!! Thanks a million for this lengthy and insightful response! I have been massaging, massaging and will continue to do so. I will read your thread below.

You're welcome, Hun.

If you do use the essential oil concoction I used, maybe you can follow the procedure described below. I personally didn't wash off the oil but rather slept in a plastic cap overnight to help encourage absorption. Also when you massage, make sure you're not just sliding fingers over the scalp, but you're actually kneading and moving the skin around. No nails please! Finger pads only. :yep:

How to Correctly Perform Scalp Massage

While any stimulation to the skin of the scalp can increase circulation, a properly done scalp massage can deliver all of the benefits needed for increased hair and scalp health. Begin by choosing a massage oil that is appropriate for your particular hair problem. Warm the oil by placing a small amount in a dish and placing that dish over a bowl of hot water. Dip your fingers into the oil and apply it to your scalp by using your fingers to part different section of your hair. Once your scalp is covered in oil you can begin the massage.

For the most benefits begin massaging your scalp at the hairline above your forehead and work your way back to the base of your skull. Use medium pressure while moving your fingers in a tight circular motion in order to promote relaxation and thoroughly condition the scalp and hair. Once you have reached your neck, begin the process again for the sides of your head by massaging from above the temple to the back of your head.

Once you have massaged your entire scalp with circular motions you can begin the process again, only this time use a little more pressure and more vigorous movements. This step in the massage will increase circulation for better blood flow and help remove dry or dead skin cells that can inhibit hair growth. Once the massage is finished leave the oil on your hair for at least thirty minutes to get the best conditioning benefits. After thirty minutes wash and style your hair as usual.
http://www.hairlossexpert.co.uk/Can-scalp-massage-stimulate-hair-growth.html

morehairplease

You're welcome, Hun.

If you do use the essential oil concoction I used, maybe you can follow the procedure described below. I personally didn't wash off the oil but rather slept in a plastic cap overnight to help encourage absorption. Also when you massage, make sure you're not just sliding fingers over the scalp, but you're actually kneading and moving the skin around. No nails please! Finger pads only. :yep:

nonie,

do you mind me asking where you purchased your eo's from?

tia,
tishee

Nonie

nonie,

do you mind me asking where you purchased your eo's from?

tia,
tishee

I got them from www.mountainroseherbs.com. I also get EOs from the Vitamin Shoppe but Cedarwood and Thyme were not easy to find. Whole Foods and Wegmans also sell EOs.

Mystic

Awww, thanks Nonie! You are the absolute best!

You're welcome, Hun.

Gibsongal

Wow this is great info, Nonie. Do you massage while you're in your braids? Or do you take them down? When I'm in braids, I always feel like I'm pulling my strands and breaking them when in braids. :ohwell:

Nonie

Wow this is great info, Nonie. Do you massage while you're in your braids? Or do you take them down? When I'm in braids, I always feel like I'm pulling my strands and breaking them when in braids. :ohwell:

You shouldn't be pulling on your hair at all when you massage. And yes, I do massage in braids when I think of it or when I wash my hair. And at the time I was dealing with the bald spot, I was in braids.

Basically your fingers should feel for your scalp in between the braids and then you keep them firmly against that spot of your scalp that you first rest them on and knead. Fingers don't slide against the skin but rather they push the skin they're planted on in circular motions against your scalp. Then lift fingers find your way between braids to another section of your scalp and repeat. And so on till you've given your entire scalp a good massage. I usually do my massages during my wash when holding my head down, and especially during my ACV rinse in which I put water in a basin or bucket and dunk my head in there and massage. My head feels so good when I'm done.

Gibsongal

Great stuff, I will try this method the next time I braid. Thanks so much!:yep:

You shouldn't be pulling on your hair at all when you massage. And yes, I do massage in braids when I think of it or when I wash my hair. And at the time I was dealing with the bald spot, I was in braids.

Basically your fingers should feel for your scalp in between the braids and then you keep them firmly against that spot of your scalp that you first rest them on and knead. Fingers don't slide against the skin but rather they push the skin they're planted on in circular motions against your scalp. Then lift fingers find your way between braids to another section of your scalp and repeat. And so on till you've given your entire scalp a good massage. I usually do my massages during my wash when holding my head down, and especially during my ACV rinse in which I put water in a basin or bucket and dunk my head in there and massage. My head feels so good when I'm done.