Prayer Language

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
You don't have to be able to speak in tongues to pray to to the Lord. Jesus is our intercessor and our mediator between us and God. We do not have to use any special language to talk to God. The Holy Spirit inteprets our hearts, minds, and souls when we pray to God so that He can understand when we do not even understand what we are praying about at times. In other words, if we have trouble saying what we want to say to God in prayer, the Holy Spirit does it for us.

Speaking in tongues is just a gift of the spirit (1 Corinthians 12). It is not required in order to pray.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
PLEASE READ

What the Bible says about speaking in tongues:

1 Corinthians 14

Gifts of Prophecy and Tongues

1Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy. 2For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. 3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. 4He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
6Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me. 12So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

13For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind. 16If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? 17You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.

18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20Brothers, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. 21In the Law it is written:
"Through men of strange tongues
and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.

22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

~~~

This scripture really breaks down what the gift of speaking in tongues is all about. But I do wonder about verse 5 which says I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. I do not think he is talking about every Christian, just every person who has the gift of prophecy and/or speaking in tongues. I still believe God does not require us to speak in tongues when we pray... speaking in tongues is just simply a gift of the spirit that God gives to some people and not others.

What do you ladies think???????????

hallcust

I think the Apostle Paul may have been making the point that he was not despising the gift of tongues, and felt that if all believers had this gift that it would be a good thing; but I believe he may have been making the point that it is more blessed to give rather to receive, therefore the gift of prophecy was the more preferred gift because it edified the whole and served others, rather than merely edifying the one.
The gift of tongues is to not be shunned, nor is it to be elevated as evidence that the Holy Spirit is within us; as some modern charismatics speak today. It is also a gift that can be mimicked as any other gift. But the main gift that Paul says we are to covet above all other gifts is the gift of charity. He said in 1 Cor. 12:31 that he wanted to show us a more excellent way; and that is the way of love. Love is the greatest display of the Holy Spirit being within you. It is the greatest evidence. I agree with you PoohBear that it is not necessary to speak in tongues to be spiritually mature. All spiritual gifts are given of the Father for the purpose of the edifying of the body of believers; not for selfish purposes. Being spiritually mature is wisely being a doer of the word by the grace of the Holy Spirit, and being more conformed into the image of Christ Jesus.
The verses you used are very good ones that help one to understand this gift.

Ebony

foxxymami said:
Wow this is incredible. I was just reading on this today. Though I won't have a chance to get to my bible until I get off work, I've been reading about this all morning. And from my reading, I have discovered that every believer in Christ has the ability to receive the gift of speaking in tongues, and should use that gift!

Mark 16:15-20 says--"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with [them], and confirming the Word with signs following. Amen."

Keep in mind I JUST JUST read these scriptures throughout the morning and I will continue to study them. But it is my belief that being filled with the Holy Spirit is not a requirement for salvation, nor does it mean that you MUST speak in tongues; speaking in tongues is the initial evidence that you are filled......it is also one of God's ways for edification of the spirit; it is a gift and it is the believer's choice whether or not they will receive the gift. :)

HTH!

*This could not have been said any better. You speak the truth.

kinascott

Margerita said:
I personally think that the tongues are when God takes over and it's a moment between you and Him. Yes, others may be able to hear the "tongues" and unless they were given the gift of interpretation, they may not know what you are saying, even though in your heart and head you understand every word, but unless God gives someone the interpretation, it's only meant to be an intimate moment between you and Him.

I don't know if I would say that speaking in tongues are only for those that are mature in Christ, I just think that it's something that can happen to anybody whether you're mature or a new soul in Christ.

AMEN, VERY WELL SAID

Beauty4Ashes

Speaking in tongues is a gift that is given to every believer as evidence of the Holy Spirit/Holyghost. It is not the only indicator of being Holy-ghost filled--just the most easily seen. If you have the Holyghost, you CAN speak in tongues, but it must be developed.(I do not mean taking a course in learning how to speak in tongues like you would a foreign language class) It is developed through practice just like praying.

Every believer needs the Holy Spirit to guide them in their every day walk with Christ. It is the Holy Spirit that quickens God's word in us so that we may walk in Holiness and Righteousness. Tell me, if a prostitute, with no christian background, walked into a church and got saved, how would she know how to live righteously and upright before God once she left the church? She wouldn't, unless she had the Holy Spirit to guide her and quicken God's word in her--even though she doesn't know what "thus said the Lord". Sure, she could try to put away those things that she thinks are wrong, but it wouldn't last very long without the Holy Spirit. For example, I know a lady who was shacking with a man when she got saved and filled with the Holy Ghost. She didn't know anything was wrong with shacking, everyone she knew had always lived with a man without being married. A few months after being saved she started feeling an unction from the Holy Spirit--that living in a house with a man without being married was wrong; so she went to the first lady of the church and asked. After finding out the truth, she married the man she was shacking with. The point of the story is that without the Holyghost she would not have known that this was wrong.

I am from an organization where the older saints will tarry with you at the altar until they know that you have the Holyghost. The reason behind this, I believe, is that they want to make sure you will remain saved after you leave the church building b/c you will not have anyone telling you what is right or wrong. The Holyghost is your only guidance. I could go on and on about the Holyspirit, but this topic is about speaking in tongues, so I just want to add one more thing. Speaking in tongues is also a weapon against the devil. When we are speaking in tongues to God the devil has no idea what we are praying--which means he can not plan an effective attack against us. So it's kind of like a secret code b/w you and God. I really hope this helps someone!

P.S. This is my first post ever!

MindTwister

Bumping this thread because this is a topic that I am struggling to understand.
I am not sure where I stand on this and I don't think I quite understand the whole speaking in tongues... A lot of tongues sound the same to me and sometimes I wonder if people are "faking the funk"...
I had a discussion yesterday with a friend of mine. She said a mature Christian should/must speak in tongues because the devil doesn't understand it and that without it a Christian life is empty. She also said that since it's a free gift, she doesn't see why one wouldn't want to take it/use it...

Like I said I still don't know much about this, I come from a Catholic background. Right now I don't think there are "levels" to Christianity and that speaking in tongues makes one on lever above the non tongues-speaking person. I do acknowledge that of course it's possible to speak in a language one does not understand. I have a couple of questions I ask myself regarding this topic. First off, during the Pentecost in Acts, when the apostles started speaking in tongues, people around them recognized their own languages, so my question is: could tongues be languages that are foreign to you but that already exist, like for example if you're usually an english-speaker you would start speaking in chinese, russian etc..?
Second, what are the reasons some say tongues are things of the past and are no longer "active"?
I need to spend more time reading on it and praying about it

Last edited:

kbragg

We actually had this discussion in another Christian group I am a part of! Here's a collection of my replies (in black):

zacksmom wrote:
my understanding of prayer languages is that you should know what you are saying...even if you technically shouldn't know those words.

Not necessarily. Praying in tongues (not to be confused with the GIFT of tongues, which is in a church setting and always has an interpretation with it) is you in faith speaking "secret things" to God. It is the Holy Spirit praying through you. You usually do NOT know what you're praying because if we truly knew the declarations over our lives the Spirit was making, our unbelief would never let it come to pass. Joyce Myers talks about it in her book FIlled With The Spirit. Here's a couple of articles to help you:
An except from Joyce Meyer's Book:
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/127/story_12731_1.html
Article By J Lee Grady:
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/127/story_12789_1.html

smedisky wrote:
If I can be so bold, for those of you who have experienced speaking in tongues, would you describe it as a trance? Are you "awake" and conscious of your surroundings and thoughts or is it complete surrender?

Definately not a trance-like state (at least for me). I personally was fully aware of my suroundings. It was a feeling I could never do justice with mere words. It was a sensation of both heat and overwhelming light. A total connection with God. I'm sorry but I just cannot express it in words, you have to experience it for yourself.
I can tell you though, it's not like Benny Hinn....you're not gonna start bleeding
, flopping around like a fish out of water
, or foaming at the mouth
(no offense to Benny Hinn fans but umm
) The Holy Spirit is a gentleman, he's not going to throw you up against the wall and possess you (that's that other guy
), but gives you an overwhelming sense of peace, warmth, and connection with the Lord.

Everyone's experience will be different because it is something personal between you and God, just as the way the Spirit manifests itself in you will be different.

smedisky wrote:
"I'm pretty sure God understands English just fine thank you!"

I'm sure He does
...but so does the devil and his demons. Just as when you were born God assigned Angels to you, the devil assigned demons and they listen to your prayers and go to work blocking them or worse, make you think the answer you get is from God when it's not. But your prayer language and groaning in the spirit; they DO NOT understand that! It is a secret language that God gives you by His Spirit between you and Him alone. So when you pray in your prayer language for one you know for sure you are not praying for carnal thing, or praying from the flesh, but the Spirit. And two, you know the devil and his demons don't know what you're saying so therefore they can't block what God is doing in, for, and through you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Well that's my stance on it!:)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Margerita said:
I was in church (Assembly of God) Sunday and the preacher was talking about prayer language (praying in tongues). He started asking the congregation questions about how many had spoke in tongues and how many had a prayer tongue. Not a lot of people raised their hands when he asked how many had a prayer tongue and then he asked them if they wanted one. Again, not a lot raised their hands. I grew up in a pentacostal church where speaking in tongues was a natural part of service. During prayer, you prayed, not necessarily in a tongue only known to God (it wasn't a neccessity). He also made a comment about didn't you want to be a complete Christian by having a prayer language. When I pray, I talk to God, I pray, I hear from God. Does it make me less of a Christian because I don't have a prayer tongue?

I guess what I would like to know is if anyone here feels that you need to have a prayer tongue in order to pray? In this same church service we were praying and he told the people to start praying to God in their prayer tongue and there were several that did start praying in tongues. To me this was new because I thought speaking in tongues should be a spontaneous type spiritual thing, not called on by command.

Any comments is appreciated.

And that is the answer (the bolded part of your post). Our prayer language is of the Holy Spirit. It's not mandatory for getting into Heaven, neither is it mandatory for reaching God's ear.

I have both, my prayer language and my 'natural' tongue and Both reach the heart and the ears of God. My prayer language (tongues) usually flows in intercession as the Holy Spirit leads. I do not 'force' it; I just allow God to flow and I yield.

What I do not like, is the pressure that is placed upon Believers that they must pray in tongues to be effect in prayer or as a Christian.

I do believe that there is a time and place for both prayer types. Acutally, for any and all types of prayer.

I can pray silently in my thoughts and reach God...
I can pray verbally in my natural 'tongue' (if you will) and reach God...
I can pray in the 'Spirit' and reach God...
Most effectively, I read and confess the word of God...it reaches Him.

But the most effective prayer of all, is one of sincerity. Praying from the truth that is pouring from your heart and allowing God to move on your behalf. That can be from any form of language that flows from a person's heart.

PaperClip

shaffawn said:
Speaking in tongues is a gift that is given to every believer as evidence of the Holy Spirit/Holyghost. It is not the only indicator of being Holy-ghost filled--just the most easily seen. If you have the Holyghost, you CAN speak in tongues, but it must be developed.(I do not mean taking a course in learning how to speak in tongues like you would a foreign language class) It is developed through practice just like praying.

Every believer needs the Holy Spirit to guide them in their every day walk with Christ. It is the Holy Spirit that quickens God's word in us so that we may walk in Holiness and Righteousness. Tell me, if a prostitute, with no christian background, walked into a church and got saved, how would she know how to live righteously and upright before God once she left the church? She wouldn't, unless she had the Holy Spirit to guide her and quicken God's word in her--even though she doesn't know what "thus said the Lord". Sure, she could try to put away those things that she thinks are wrong, but it wouldn't last very long without the Holy Spirit. For example, I know a lady who was shacking with a man when she got saved and filled with the Holy Ghost. She didn't know anything was wrong with shacking, everyone she knew had always lived with a man without being married. A few months after being saved she started feeling an unction from the Holy Spirit--that living in a house with a man without being married was wrong; so she went to the first lady of the church and asked. After finding out the truth, she married the man she was shacking with. The point of the story is that without the Holyghost she would not have known that this was wrong.

I am from an organization where the older saints will tarry with you at the altar until they know that you have the Holyghost. The reason behind this, I believe, is that they want to make sure you will remain saved after you leave the church building b/c you will not have anyone telling you what is right or wrong. The Holyghost is your only guidance. I could go on and on about the Holyspirit, but this topic is about speaking in tongues, so I just want to add one more thing. Speaking in tongues is also a weapon against the devil. When we are speaking in tongues to God the devil has no idea what we are praying--which means he can not plan an effective attack against us. So it's kind of like a secret code b/w you and God. I really hope this helps someone!

P.S. This is my first post ever!

Whoooo! Yes, shaffawn! You said what I wanted to say! I was concerned about posting in this thread because I wanted to be scripturally accurate....

It concerns me to hear how some people may have been taught or just don't believe in the power, the benefit, the depth of speaking in tongues. It takes prayer to another level.... It takes spiritual warfare to another level. I mean, this earthly language is SO LIMITED with regard to praying...sometimes you just run out of words and there's repetition, that can get vain (hmmmm!)

I grew up in the Pentacostal church as well.... Wanted my heavenly language.... long story short, I was in the car with a group of my friends in the parking lot of my church...we had just got back from an afternoon service. I had been baptized about a month or so earlier, and I did not speak in tongues right away... I was so distressed about it because I believed (KNEW) that I could have this gift from the Lord so I could have MORE power in my life to help me and keep me in this walk with Christ. Well, we were in the car and my friends started praying in the Spirit (in tongues) and I was sitting there starting to feel so bad and then I just opened my mouth (in TOTAL FAITH!) and I could feel the power of God on my lips (like fire on my tongue, just like in the upper room in Acts 2!) and I closed my eyes and started to cry and the tongues just kept coming! Just a few stutters at first, and then more and more! And then we all jumped out of the car to go to service and all I remember was I felt like I was flying all over that church because of the power of God that I felt....

Nobody was rubbing my back and I wasn't foaming at the mouth. It was the glory, the power of the Lord. I'm passionate about speaking in tongues in that I want EVERYONE to experience the Holy Spirit in this area. I mean, why would the Lord speak on it if it wasn't accessible to all?

This is different from the "gift of tongues" as mentioned in 1 Corinthians. That's a specific manifestation for a specific work in the Spirit, usually when dealing with spiritual warfare or a distinctive message/word from the Lord.

CaramelMiSS

RelaxerRehab said:
Whoooo! Yes, shaffawn! You said what I wanted to say! I was concerned about posting in this thread because I wanted to be scripturally accurate....

It concerns me to hear how some people may have been taught or just don't believe in the power, the benefit, the depth of speaking in tongues. It takes prayer to another level.... It takes spiritual warfare to another level. I mean, this earthly language is SO LIMITED with regard to praying...sometimes you just run out of words and there's repetition, that can get vain (hmmmm!)

I grew up in the Pentacostal church as well.... Wanted my heavenly language.... long story short, I was in the car with a group of my friends in the parking lot of my church...we had just got back from an afternoon service. I had been baptized about a month or so earlier, and I did not speak in tongues right away... I was so distressed about it because I believed (KNEW) that I could have this gift from the Lord so I could have MORE power in my life to help me and keep me in this walk with Christ. Well, we were in the car and my friends started praying in the Spirit (in tongues) and I was sitting there starting to feel so bad and then I just opened my mouth (in TOTAL FAITH!) and I could feel the power of God on my lips (like fire on my tongue, just like in the upper room in Acts 2!) and I closed my eyes and started to cry and the tongues just kept coming! Just a few stutters at first, and then more and more! And then we all jumped out of the car to go to service and all I remember was I felt like I was flying all over that church because of the power of God that I felt....

Nobody was rubbing my back and I wasn't foaming at the mouth. It was the glory, the power of the Lord. I'm passionate about speaking in tongues in that I want EVERYONE to experience the Holy Spirit in this area. I mean, why would the Lord speak on it if it wasn't accessible to all?

This is different from the "gift of tongues" as mentioned in 1 Corinthians. That's a specific manifestation for a specific work in the Spirit, usually when dealing with spiritual warfare or a distinctive message/word from the Lord.

The only time I have spoken in tongues is when my spirit was in dire need of guidence and I was having a hard time in my life. Everytime it happened to me was alone and I was on my face and I knew what I wanted to tell God but the only thing that came out was in tongues. It was so intense and I can remember crying but nothing about what I actually said. I think that speaking in tongues is something that God does to you when you feel overwhemled in life and need him sooo badly, i don't think you can teach someone how to speak in tongues it is something that just happens.

PaperClip

CaramelMiSS said:
The only time I have spoken in tongues is when my spirit was in dire need of guidence and I was having a hard time in my life. Everytime it happened to me was alone and I was on my face and I knew what I wanted to tell God but the only thing that came out was in tongues. It was so intense and I can remember crying but nothing about what I actually said. I think that speaking in tongues is something that God does to you when you feel overwhemled in life and need him sooo badly, i don't think you can teach someone how to speak in tongues it is something that just happens.

Just to clarify: nobody "taught" me to speak in tongues. But look how children learn to speak. First they "babble", then they begin to form words and then words turn into phrases, and phrases turn into sentences, paragraphs, so on and so forth. And how does this "cultivation" occur, by LISTENING. Once the ears grow in the womb, they WORK! Babies can hear in the womb.

I said that to use it as an example of impartation, like how fire is sparked from a fire already lit. One person's tongues don't sound like another person's, just like we have different voiceprints. I will say that I think as we "pull" on the Holy Spirit, He enters our prayers (and our worship, our thanksgiving) and when there are no more earthly words that our heart can articulate, that heavenly language comes forth as we yield to Him.

CaramelMiSS

RelaxerRehab said:
Just to clarify: nobody "taught" me to speak in tongues. But look how children learn to speak. First they "babble", then they begin to form words and then words turn into phrases, and phrases turn into sentences, paragraphs, so on and so forth. And how does this "cultivation" occur, by LISTENING. Once the ears grow in the womb, they WORK! Babies can hear in the womb.

I said that to use it as an example of impartation, like how fire is sparked from a fire already lit. One person's tongues don't sound like another person's, just like we have different voiceprints. I will say that I think as we "pull" on the Holy Spirit, He enters our prayers (and our worship, our thanksgiving) and when there are no more earthly words that our heart can articulate, that heavenly language comes forth as we yield to Him.

I never said that you did I only highlighted that part because I was agreeing with you. That last sentence was a statement that was not pointed toward you.

PaperClip

CaramelMiSS said:
I never said that you did I only highlighted that part because I was agreeing with you. That last sentence was a statement that was not pointed toward you.

Sorry about the hyper-sensitivity today!:look:

MindTwister

Couple of people have said speaking in tongues is different from the GIFT of tongues"": can ya'll expand on this please, I don't see/understand the difference :)

hallcust

Modern Christianity is very “feelings” based and you should always use Scripture to validate any “experience”. Today’s Church is all about “experience” and very little about DEVOTION, SACRIFICE and learning what the Bible says. We want to “feel” God, instead of “know” God.

I encourage all who truly seek to understand the gift of tongues to follow Scripture and let God’s Word dictate your beliefs. If you follow the opinions of man you risk being fed doctrines that are fleshly and emotional.

You will find many teachers who support today’s experiential, exciting, tongues-miracles-healings movement (I believe God can use these today, just not in the way that TV and Charismatic personalities do). Make sure that they support their opinions with logical, plain Scriptural support; not experience, opinion or proof-texting (pulling Scripture out of context to support an opinion).

For the sincere seeker, ask the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom, discernment and discipline as you seek the truth. God has promised to reveal truth to the diligent, sincere seeker.

Questions to ask:

Does the Bible ever say tongues are necessary for salvation as some teach today?
Does the Bible say that people are to be taught and trained how to speak in tongues as is common today?
Did tongues have a specific purpose in the Bible and does that purpose exist today?
What is the general spiritual depth of individuals that emphasize tongues? (this is not a Scriptural evidence, but very revealing anecdotal evidence)
If tongues are for “today” and for “everyone”, and you are a sincere seeker of God, why is He withholding tongues from you?
Why are tongues so over-emphasized today when the Bible calls them the “least” of gifts, and says not all with speak in tongues? (Hint: because the church is an “experienced-based” and “feelings” church today, not a church that works hard to discern Biblical truth)
Links to lessons on “tongues”:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/CHAOS10.HTM
http://www.desiringgod.org/library/sermons/84/042984.html
http://www.carm.org/oneness/tongues.htm

Not a popular response, but hopefully it will prove to be the biblical response. May God bless all who earnestly search for Him in truth to find Him in such a spiritually confusing time as this.

ritzbitz78

hallcust said:
Modern Christianity is very “feelings” based and you should always use Scripture to validate any “experience”. Today’s Church is all about “experience” and very little about DEVOTION, SACRIFICE and learning what the Bible says. We want to “feel” God, instead of “know” God.

I encourage all who truly seek to understand the gift of tongues to follow Scripture and let God’s Word dictate your beliefs. If you follow the opinions of man you risk being fed doctrines that are fleshly and emotional.

You will find many teachers who support today’s experiential, exciting, tongues-miracles-healings movement (I believe God can use these today, just not in the way that TV and Charismatic personalities do). Make sure that they support their opinions with logical, plain Scriptural support; not experience, opinion or proof-texting (pulling Scripture out of context to support an opinion).

For the sincere seeker, ask the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom, discernment and discipline as you seek the truth. God has promised to reveal truth to the diligent, sincere seeker.

Questions to ask:

Does the Bible ever say tongues are necessary for salvation as some teach today?
Does the Bible say that people are to be taught and trained how to speak in tongues as is common today?
Did tongues have a specific purpose in the Bible and does that purpose exist today?
What is the general spiritual depth of individuals that emphasize tongues? (this is not a Scriptural evidence, but very revealing anecdotal evidence)
If tongues are for “today” and for “everyone”, and you are a sincere seeker of God, why is He withholding tongues from you?
Why are tongues so over-emphasized today when the Bible calls them the “least” of gifts, and says not all with speak in tongues? (Hint: because the church is an “experienced-based” and “feelings” church today, not a church that works hard to discern Biblical truth)
Links to lessons on “tongues”:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/MAC/CHAOS10.HTM
http://www.desiringgod.org/library/sermons/84/042984.html
http://www.carm.org/oneness/tongues.htm

Not a popular response, but hopefully it will prove to be the biblical response. May God bless all who earnestly search for Him in truth to find Him in such a spiritually confusing time as this.

I agree with you...

Speaking in tongues DOES exist for the Bible tells us that... but no where Biblically is it said that tongues is the only sign that Holy Spirit is within us... I do know biblically there are the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22.... and tongues is not listed... Jesus was full of the Spirit and was never recorded as speaking in tongues.

It is not sinful to speak in tongues unless it is spoken publically without interpretation and when many are speaking it at one time. Read 1 Corinthians 14.

The reason Paul uses a whole chapter to address tongues is because it had become a "status symbol" in those days... Everyone wanted to speak in tongues and it was became an overshadowing of the simple gospel. So he had to define and simply and put tongues 'in its place'.

Thats why the infamous love chapter (1 Corinthians 13) starts out by saying "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal" Meaning just useless noise if LOVE(charity) is not the 1st and foremost goal.

MindTwister

MindTwister said:
Couple of people have said speaking in tongues is different from the GIFT of tongues"": can ya'll expand on this please, I don't see/understand the difference :)
I'm going to bump my questions because I'd really like to know the difference :)

Beauty4Ashes

go to 1 corinthians 12:10

Paul is writing about the diversity of gifts, notice how it says "divers kinds of tongues," if you have the gift you have different tongues in different sounding language. If you don't have "the gift" you usually speak the same language. As you've probably heard, all tongues do not sound the same.

Sorry I have to cut this short, I'll come back later....

MindTwister

Thanks for that bit of answer and looking forward to further explanation and scriptural references :) As soon as I can I'll take a look at 1 Corinthians 12 to 14 to have all of this in context
RelaxerRehab: I believe you were one of the people who stated there was a difference; is there anything to you can add?

Beauty4Ashes

As I stated before, the gift of tongues is speaking in “divers kinds of tongues”

Divers- diverse or different kinds, various, several
Tongues- Communication with God; supernatural ability of speaking in another language without its having been learnt;

There is definitely more than one language or tongue, Paul wrote in 1 Cor 13:1, “though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity…” Also, at the Day of Pentecost, devout men of every nation were amazed when they heard Galileans speaking in their language (Parthians, Medes, Elamites, Asia, Arabians, etc) Speaking in tongues is something I believe every Holy-Ghost filled saint can do; We need it for spiritual warfare. However, the gift of tongues along with other gifts are “manifestation of the Spirit” which “is given to every man to profit withal” (1 Cor 12:7)

SPRITUAL GIFTS
Word of Wisdom
Word of Knowledge
Faith
Healing
Working of Miracles
Prophecy
Discerning of Spirits
Divers Kinds Tongues
Interpretation of Tongues
But all these worketh to one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he (Spirit) will.

Just because you do not have a certain spiritual gift does not mean you can’t have access to it. For example, you may not have the gift of faith or healing, but you can definitetly pray for faith or healing in a situation and it will come to pass (God willing). Another example would be 2 great singers, one that has a natural talent and the other who has taken voice lessons. Having to take lessons doesn’t diminish that person’s ability to sing, but there is always an extra “umph” or uniqueness about the person with the natural ability. ( I hope you get what I’m trying to say…) Having the “gifts of tongues”, means that you can speak many different languages (worldly or spiritually). Here is an example of how it might work to edify God’s people:

A minister went to minister to a small church in Canada. It was his first time there, and he didn’t know anyone. Several minutes into his message, he heard the Holy Spirit speak to him, Stop your message and begin to pray in the Spirit. Although he thought it was awkward, he followed instructions. 20 min. went by and there was nothing but silence. All of a sudden, a woman jumped up screaming. Apparently, she had a daughter deep in Africa(takes 3 weeks to get to where she was) who had contracted a fatal disease which takes 3 days to run its course. There wasn’t time to get help to her. Well, the last time her daughter was home, she taught her mom some of the African dialect. The minister had spoke, “ You can rejoice your daughter is healed. You can rejoice your daughter is healed” And she was! God is Awesome

I pray this doesn't bring more confusion to anyone...

***NOTE
There is nothing better than reading and understanding the word of God for yourself. Don't take my word for it or anyone else's for that matter; True knowledge comes from God ( Sorry this was so long ;) )

MindTwister

Thanks Shaffawn for your explanation:)
I still I have trouble seeing the difference but I will keep reading and studying the Word and ask God to lead me and give me understanding of His word

Blessings to You:)

ritzbitz78

shaffawn said:
As I stated before, the gift of tongues is speaking in “divers kinds of tongues”

Divers- diverse or different kinds, various, several
Tongues- Communication with God; supernatural ability of speaking in another language without its having been learnt;

There is definitely more than one language or tongue, Paul wrote in 1 Cor 13:1, “though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity…” Also, at the Day of Pentecost, devout men of every nation were amazed when they heard Galileans speaking in their language (Parthians, Medes, Elamites, Asia, Arabians, etc) Speaking in tongues is something I believe every Holy-Ghost filled saint can do; We need it for spiritual warfare. However, the gift of tongues along with other gifts are “manifestation of the Spirit” which “is given to every man to profit withal” (1 Cor 12:7)

SPRITUAL GIFTS
Word of Wisdom
Word of Knowledge
Faith
Healing
Working of Miracles
Prophecy
Discerning of Spirits
Divers Kinds Tongues
Interpretation of Tongues
But all these worketh to one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he (Spirit) will.

Just because you do not have a certain spiritual gift does not mean you can’t have access to it. For example, you may not have the gift of faith or healing, but you can definitetly pray for faith or healing in a situation and it will come to pass (God willing). Another example would be 2 great singers, one that has a natural talent and the other who has taken voice lessons. Having to take lessons doesn’t diminish that person’s ability to sing, but there is always an extra “umph” or uniqueness about the person with the natural ability. ( I hope you get what I’m trying to say…) Having the “gifts of tongues”, means that you can speak many different languages (worldly or spiritually). Here is an example of how it might work to edify God’s people:

A minister went to minister to a small church in Canada. It was his first time there, and he didn’t know anyone. Several minutes into his message, he heard the Holy Spirit speak to him, Stop your message and begin to pray in the Spirit. Although he thought it was awkward, he followed instructions. 20 min. went by and there was nothing but silence. All of a sudden, a woman jumped up screaming. Apparently, she had a daughter deep in Africa(takes 3 weeks to get to where she was) who had contracted a fatal disease which takes 3 days to run its course. There wasn’t time to get help to her. Well, the last time her daughter was home, she taught her mom some of the African dialect. The minister had spoke, “ You can rejoice your daughter is healed. You can rejoice your daughter is healed” And she was! God is Awesome

I pray this doesn't bring more confusion to anyone...

***NOTE
There is nothing better than reading and understanding the word of God for yourself. Don't take my word for it or anyone else's for that matter; True knowledge comes from God ( Sorry this was so long ;) )

Shaffawn,

Where in the Bible does it say that tongues are necessary for spiritual warfare?

Koffie

ritzbitz78 said:
Shaffawn,

Where in the Bible does it say that tongues are necessary for spiritual warfare?
I know you didn't ask me this but it mentions in Romans the 8th chapter how the Holy Spirit gives utterance in regard to what we don't know that we need to pray for, and in Phillipians it says to pray conitinually in the Spirit in regard to spiritual warfare. HTH

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
sprungonhairboards said:
The church I was saved in (Apostolic) teaches that you aren't really saved unless you have the evidence of speaking in tongues. Once you are baptized they tarry with you at the alter until you speak in tongues. (After church is over ). They say because not only is that your evidence of the Holy Ghost dwelling within you, but it edifies you when you go back into the world. (Of course a newly saved Christian gets the devil heated :mad: and is prime target :lol:). I never fully bought into that though.

That sounds like the church I grew up in.

Beauty4Ashes

Thanks Koffie, right on point…In addition, Ephesians 6:18 says, “praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit and watching therunto with all perserverance and supplication for all saints…” In the previous verses of this chapter it talks about putting on the complete armour of God.

"For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" 2 Cor 10:4-5

PaperClip

MindTwister said:
Thanks for that bit of answer and looking forward to further explanation and scriptural references :) As soon as I can I'll take a look at 1 Corinthians 12 to 14 to have all of this in context
RelaxerRehab: I believe you were one of the people who stated there was a difference; is there anything to you can add?

Apologies for the delay in responding....

Not sure what else I could add to Shaffawn's post, unless there's a specific question or aspect of speaking in tongues.