Pre Neutralizing Conditioner?

kawista9

So I am reading someone else's thread and she was talking about doing a self relaxer with Motions Lye. Then later in the thread someone says make sure after you wash the perm out and before you neutralize you a protein conditioner. This is very important, is what she said after she suggested it. I remember when I went to get my hair relaxed and the wash lady washed the perm out, put what I think was conditioner on my hair and let me sit for about ten to fifteen minutes and then she washed it out with what I assume to be a neutralizing shampoo. I was worried that this was going to over process my hair and for that reason and many others, I decided to not go back to her salon. What is this pre neutralizing conditioner thing and should this be done everytime we receive a relaxer with any relaxing process.:spinning:confused

gymfreak336

Hi Kawista9

I personally wouldn't worry about overprocessing from that. Relaxers only work in a certain pH range. The rinsing starts the neutralizing process and the conditioner (which is acidic) keeps this process going. It won't take you as low pH wise as neutralizing shampoo but it combined with the water takes you out of the active range of relaxer for the most part so your hair isn't really processing anymore. Sistaslick has a much better explanation in her article I believe about this. Check her siggy for the links to her articles.

Hope that helps and welcome to the board

MonPetite

^^^ Co-sign. In my relaxed and especially texlaxed days this made ALL the difference in the world in the health, strength, and shine of my hair!

Welcome! :grin:

Sistaslick's articles are AMAZING by the way and helped start my on my healthy haircare journey!

Neith

Hi Kawista9

I personally wouldn't worry about overprocessing from that. Relaxers only work in a certain pH range. The rinsing starts the neutralizing process and the conditioner (which is acidic) keeps this process going. It won't take you as low pH wise as neutralizing shampoo but it combined with the water takes you out of the active range of relaxer for the most part so your hair isn't really processing anymore. Sistaslick has a much better explanation in her article I believe about this. Check her siggy for the links to her articles.

Hope that helps and welcome to the board

Then why is it that if you don't neutralize, your hair breaks and falls out???

gymfreak336

Yep:ohwell: Regular shampoo can do but so much. If you don't get your pH down far enough, your hair will still have relaxer residue or if you don't shampoo it properly then you can still have problems.

This takes me back the days when I thought it was all the same...no wonder my hair looked fried:nono:

Simply_Kelz

You still neutralize, just after the conditioner. So eventually the ph is brought back down.

If you have a relaxer mishap, and don't neutralize well enough, it's never brought back down.

Neith

You still neutralize, just after the conditioner. So eventually the ph is brought back down.

If you have a relaxer mishap, and don't neutralize well enough, it's never brought back down.

I know... I do the condition neutralize condition thing myself. :yep:

I meant, isn't the relaxer still processing (but its weaker) if the conditioner doesn't totally neutralize it?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I would only recommend using a conditioner before neutralizing if that particular relaxer system calls for it. I am very cautious when it comes to chemicals and believe that following the instructions as directed by a particular relaxer manufacturer precisely. :)

gymfreak336

I know... I do the condition neutralize condition thing myself. :yep:

I meant, isn't the relaxer still processing (but its weaker) if the conditioner doesn't totally neutralize it?

The pH is taken out of the range of straighten action. There is still relaxer residue left since the products of a neutralizing reaction are always water and a salt. All of that stuff can break the hair and still needs to be removed. Not to mention scalp irritation. Hopefully Sistaslick will come in and give a better explanation that I can .

Neith

The pH is taken out of the range of straighten action. There is still relaxer residue left since the products of a neutralizing reaction are always water and a salt. All of that stuff can break the hair and still needs to be removed. Not to mention scalp irritation. Hopefully Sistaslick will come in and give a better explanation that I can .

I guess I understand...

It stops the relaxing process, but you still need to get the residue and relaxer by products out of the hair, then close the cuticle shut.

Hmmmm... :scratchch

gymfreak336

I guess I understand...

It stops the relaxing process, but you still need to get the residue and relaxer by products out of the hair, then close the cuticle shut.

Hmmmm... :scratchch

Yeah it takes it out of the straightening range for the most part but we still need that neutralizing shampoo. I'll see if I can find the thread that Sistaslick posted in about it.

HoneyDew

I find that the K-Pak shampoo is a good option, too.

The pH is low and it has lots of protein in there. I still use my neutralizing shampoo after that because I like to see the color-coded suds. But, the K-pak shampoo is a great one to use right after rinsing the relaxer out.

shorthairdiva09

what relaxers call for this step besides silk elements? is this mostly used on no-lye relaxers or have people seen results with lye relaxers also

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
So I am reading someone else's thread and she was talking about doing a self relaxer with Motions Lye. Then later in the thread someone says make sure after you wash the perm out and before you neutralize you a protein conditioner. This is very important, is what she said after she suggested it. I remember when I went to get my hair relaxed and the wash lady washed the perm out, put what I think was conditioner on my hair and let me sit for about ten to fifteen minutes and then she washed it out with what I assume to be a neutralizing shampoo. I was worried that this was going to over process my hair and for that reason and many others, I decided to not go back to her salon. What is this pre neutralizing conditioner thing and should this be done everytime we receive a relaxer with any relaxing process.:spinning:confused

I like using Roux Porosity Control which helps bring down the pH after a relaxer. I use this first and leave on for no more than 5 minutes, rinse, then use the neutralizing poo. Some ladies use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor as a protein reconstructor.