Pre-Nursing/Nursing Students....I have an idea!!!

Discussion in 'Education' started by Mwenye_Heri, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ShortieRN

ShortieRN Member

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure you've gotten in somewhere at this point, congratulations on finishing the pre-reqs.

My school (CSUDH) also has a robust bridge program. I started in my 3rd semester of my ASN program.

Good to see all these students and RNs.

~Go*Go~ likes this.
  2. ShortieRN

ShortieRN Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi. I'm a Med Surg RN and I love my specialty, but eventually want to get into critical care. I work at an excellent teaching hospital and know I can grow with them. Think I'm leaning towards NICU, mainly because of my mentor, the size of the patients and their propensity for having the best outcomes.

So conflicted. Lol. However working registry, in addition to full time and going to school for MSN is occupying my thoughts in the interim.

3. ~Go*Go~

~Go*Go~ Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! We just started our 2nd semester on the 28th. This summer I completed 7 credits at CSUF in their jumpstart program. Congrats on starting the 3rd semester, you'll be ready to take the NCLEX in no time :yep:

4. ShortieRN

ShortieRN Member

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! I should have written in past tense, :hammer:, as I was pinned in 2015 and have been an RN since March of 2016.

All the best to you!

~Go*Go~ and melisandre like this.
  5. WhereItsAt

WhereItsAt That’s what I do.. I drink and I know things....

Blog Posts:
    I haven’t written in here since I first announced I was going to nursing school. Well, I’m about a little under 3 months from graduating. My graduation is December 15.

This has been the fastest and roughest journeys though school I have ever had. I enjoyed this journey but it hasn’t been easy. You really have to focus and be dedicated. This is what I lacked the first time I went to nursing school. But I’m almost there.

I am having some trouble with pediatrics. Any tips on that?

6. KinksAndInk

KinksAndInk Antisocial Makeup Hoarder

Blog Posts:
    @WhereItsAt what exactly are you having trouble with?

IslandMummy and WhereItsAt like this.
  7. WhereItsAt

Blog Posts:
    I just need some hints on how to remember this stuff. It’s like in general, it’s not sticking no matter how I read it.. I keep getting mixed up on signs and symptoms in a toddler vs an unfair. I need a way to help me remember stuff

IslandMummy likes this.
  8. KinksAndInk

Blog Posts:
    Flash cards, writing things in different colors, mnemonics, making up stories or relating things to people you know. Stories always helped me. Suga Baby was my character for diabetes related things, Salty Sarah was for hypertension, Pregnant Patty for pre-eclampsia, etc. Just quick little stories. And I had a friend that would make up little poems. Also check out you tube, Pinterest and IG. There's always little study tips, mnemonics and content review.

Oh and talk to yourself. When I read things out loud and talk them out, I remember better. Not a whisper like full on talking to yourself...In the comfort of your own home of course. Do it in a way like you got the best gossip ever.

IslandMummy and WhereItsAt like this.
  9. WhereItsAt

Blog Posts:

Thank you so much! These are all good tips I never thought of! I’ll try some of them.

IslandMummy and KinksAndInk like this.
  10. ~Go*Go~

~Go*Go~ Member

Blog Posts:
    I can't wait to get where you are, I think I'm going to use UWorld NCLEX to help prepare for the exam.

IslandMummy and ShortieRN like this.
  11. melisandre

melisandre Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Where they can either love me or leave me alone
    Med Surg I is kicking my butt! :cry: Any tips?

IslandMummy likes this.
  12. KidneyBean86

KidneyBean86 Bama girl for life!

Blog Posts:
    What specific topic are you having trouble with?

melisandre likes this.
  13. melisandre

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    No specific topic. Lol. More so, the way that the questions are worded on the exam. The professor does ‘NCLEX style’ questions, so the focus is on nursing priorities, patient safety, choosing the ‘best’ answer even when other choices may also be right. I spent several hours studying (started studying a week in advanced) and only got an 76, which was later scaled to an 84. Not terrible, but I feel like I’m putting in too many hours of studying to get anything less than an 85. I review my class notes, the textbook and do lots of practice problems. I’m not sure what I could do differently.

IslandMummy likes this.
  14. KidneyBean86

Blog Posts:
    With Med Surg I, they are tossing alot of information at you at once. One thing that worked for me for Med Surg I was re-listening to class lectures and drawing out the information. NCLEX style questions are meant to help you "think like a nurse" but they are really just asking for basic information ie:What is the most important for this patient. If the patient is having a breathing issue, then airway is the priority despite any other issues that are going on. I would also suggest looking up Registered Nurse RN on youtube. Her videos really helped with breaking down those pesky NCLEX questions.

IslandMummy and melisandre like this.
  15. melisandre

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. I’ll check out that YouTube channel. :yep:

16. KidneyBean86

Blog Posts:
    Ladies, I'm in need of advice.

I've been an RN at my job for almost 8 months now and as I mentioned in a previous thread, I've hated it since the first week. :look:Well, I had an interview at a hospital closer to my house (5 minutes away) and they offered me a job on nights. The thing is that I would have to take a 10k paycut and I would have to restart orientation over since I don't have a year of experience and it's an entirely new specialty(psych). I'm at a loss honestly. I wonder if I should just tough it out til March for a year of experience or should I take this new job?

Any advice or responses would be greatly appreciated.

17. melisandre

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    I’m not in your shoes, but a 10k pay cut doesn’t sound ideal. I’d keep applying to other positions and take my time to find a good fit.

IslandMummy and BillsBackerz67 like this.
  18. KinksAndInk

Blog Posts:
    Started the process of getting my MSN. I'm hoping that I'll be able to start in January. This also means that I'll be staying on my current unit until I'm done. :cry3:I have lots of downtime more often than not so that will definitely come in handy for studying. Hopefully it's no longer than 2 years

19. afrofaithful

afrofaithful Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    School starts next week! I'm a bundle of emotions lol. I'm nervous, excited, relieved, scared, overwhelmed (already!).

Paying for all these books is ridiculous! One class we needed 4! However, I found a way to get even the newest books for free...

If you're a moral oral don't bother PMing me, but I figured I'd spread the knowledge. I've only paid for two, and it would have been zero had I found this little trick sooner. Just thought I'd share if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM!

noemi and MyCoilsGoBoing like this.
  20. blackmamba777

blackmamba777 New Member

Blog Posts:
    idk if I should put this in this thread but I did go to nursing school but I don't think I am prepared for this. I take care of my grandmother and she has dementia. Sometimes she needs help bathing. She still views me as a child and I look young so sometimes she refuse to listen to me when I ask her to take a bath. What can I do to persuade her to listen to me and get up out of bed to bathe? Maybe this can help someone who work in nursing homes or the elderly.

21. ~*~ShopAholic~*~

~*~ShopAholic~*~ Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Maybe you should try giving her a bed bth and allow her to do what she can on her own or with your assistance.