Pre-Poo Through 2013 Challenge

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
How to Perform a Pre-Poo: Step 1 on How to Get Moisture Drenched Hair

In the previous email to you, I mentioned that a pre-poo or pre-shampoo is a good first step for combating dry, crunchy hair. I would like to go into more detail for you.

Ingredients you will need:
In a bowl mix
· ½ cup of aloe vera juice or whole leaf aloe vera
· 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite oil (wheat germ, olive, safflower, walnut etc)
In a separate Bowl melt
· Food grade coconut oil (1/4 cup)
· Sit the bottle or jar in hot water- do not put in microwave or on the stove!

Remember, everyone's hair has different needs. You may need more or less of this mixture. Or, your hair may not like this at all. None of these will irrevocably change your hair. Thus, you just need to wash out the mixture if your hair doesn't like it.

Using your fingers, separate your hair into 4- 8 sections. If your hair is caked with hard product, rinse your hair first. Gently handle the first section. First, smooth the hair in a downward direction. You are just trying to make sure that all the hair is going in one direction. You don't need to completely detangle the hair at this point.

Dip your hair in the bowl of aloe vera and oil or cup your hands in the mixture and transfer it to the section onto your hair. Work it through. Get the aloe vera/oil mix into your hair from root to tip. Make sure it is moist throughout the sectioned hair. If your hair is long enough, twist it and wrap it around like a bantu knot. If it is not, try to twist it and move it out the way. Repeat until you have done this to each section.

You should have a head full of aloe vera mixed with oil twisted sections. Go back to the first twist you did. Undo it, pour the liquid coconut oil in your hand and work through the section. Re-twist it and repeat on whole head. Place a plastic shower cap on your head for 15-60 minutes. Your moisturizing pre-poo is complete!

This is the first step in adding moisture to your dry, thirsty hair.
BeautifyBitByBit.com

Chicoro

DominicanBrazilian82

How to Perform a Pre-Poo: Step 1 on How to Get Moisture Drenched Hair

In the previous email to you, I mentioned that a pre-poo or pre-shampoo is a good first step for combating dry, crunchy hair. I would like to go into more detail for you.

Ingredients you will need:
In a bowl mix
· ½ cup of aloe vera juice or whole leaf aloe vera
· 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite oil (wheat germ, olive, safflower, walnut etc)
In a separate Bowl melt
· Food grade coconut oil (1/4 cup)
· Sit the bottle or jar in hot water- do not put in microwave or on the stove!

Remember, everyone's hair has different needs. You may need more or less of this mixture. Or, your hair may not like this at all. None of these will irrevocably change your hair. Thus, you just need to wash out the mixture if your hair doesn't like it.

Using your fingers, separate your hair into 4- 8 sections. If your hair is caked with hard product, rinse your hair first. Gently handle the first section. First, smooth the hair in a downward direction. You are just trying to make sure that all the hair is going in one direction. You don't need to completely detangle the hair at this point.

Dip your hair in the bowl of aloe vera and oil or cup your hands in the mixture and transfer it to the section onto your hair. Work it through. Get the aloe vera/oil mix into your hair from root to tip. Make sure it is moist throughout the sectioned hair. If your hair is long enough, twist it and wrap it around like a bantu knot. If it is not, try to twist it and move it out the way. Repeat until you have done this to each section.

You should have a head full of aloe vera mixed with oil twisted sections. Go back to the first twist you did. Undo it, pour the liquid coconut oil in your hand and work through the section. Re-twist it and repeat on whole head. Place a plastic shower cap on your head for 15-60 minutes. Your moisturizing pre-poo is complete!

This is the first step in adding moisture to your dry, thirsty hair.
BeautifyBitByBit.com

Chicoro

I love this mixture!!! I might have to try this myself :) MileHighDiva

Mz.MoMo5235

There is actually 2 parachute coconut oil bottles that are blue.

This bottle is a no go. See how it states "for hair" and has a picture of a chick on it? So no to this bottle

Now this blue bottle is the one you want. Take note of the sloppy red circle I drew. There is a pic of a green square with a green circle. That tells you two things A) Its edible and B) its vegetarian (all food items in India are labeled with either a green square or red square, red meaning non-vegetarian)

All legit Indian products have this label. Even soda, chips, and chocolates. If it doesnt have it. Its either not from India or its not for eating

and if its not for eating, its not for hair IMO

Even their toothpaste HAS to have it labeled

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
pre-pooed today with the parachute coconut oil and some mane and tail conditioner that I am trying to use up

Mz.MoMo5235

So since I've been all up in this thread dropping my Indian knowledge :lol: I need some knowledge dropper on me.

What is the point of pre-pooing. I tried it once and it was a hot oily mess and I didnt see a difference. Of course it was just the ONE time. But I never really understood it. All the threads just had too much info for me to read (a.d.d. here)

So could someone break it down Sesame St style for me?

I also heard people pre-poo with cheapie conditioner. I think I tried that when I was still on BHM and that came out a hot sloppy mess too and I never looked back lol

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
So since I've been all up in this thread dropping my Indian knowledge :lol: I need some knowledge dropper on me.

What is the point of pre-pooing. I tried it once and it was a hot oily mess and I didnt see a difference. Of course it was just the ONE time. But I never really understood it. All the threads just had too much info for me to read (a.d.d. here)

I also heard people pre-poo with cheapie conditioner. I think I tried that when I was still on BHM and that came out a hot sloppy mess too and I never looked back lol

Well I don't know about pre pooing with conditioner but coconut oil does penetrate through the strand of hair. For me this means that coconut oil could contribute to moisturising the hair. When the hair is wet, the coconut oil does prevent it taking up water and stops the strand from swelling because as we all know water and oil don't mix. I read somewhere that swelling the hair shaft can damage the hair cuticle and cortex which can weaken hair. So it helps in that way also.

ETA- HTH

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

DominicanBrazilian82

Pre-poo... Whatever you use... Helps with stripping caused by shampoos. It's a pre-shampoo treatment. Some like oil, some like conditioner, while others like both. Some people even pre-poo with AVJ or AVG. Its all about preference and what works for your hair.

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

Huh... All this time I thought we wanted water in the hair core and then sealed it in with other moisturizers and oil.

I even remember being told that before you go swimming to totally drench your hair and slather cond on it so that when you go to the pool your hair is saturated already and wont suck up the chlorinated water.

I dunno... I do know that some people have had great success with pre-pooing so it cant be knocked

DominicanBrazilian82

Huh... All this time I thought we wanted water in the hair core and then sealed it in with other moisturizers and oil.

I even remember being told that before you go swimming to totally drench your hair and slather cond on it so that when you go to the pool your hair is saturated already and wont suck up the chlorinated water.

I dunno... I do know that some people have had great success with pre-pooing so it cant be knocked

Some people's hair take in too much water. It's a theory known as Hygral Fatigue... You don't want your hair to over expand. That's how you can damage it severely and irrevocably.

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

Mz.MoMo5235 This is what I posted in 2013 Ceramides Challenge:

It seems that Polar Oils (Coconut, Jojoba, Avocado) are better pre-poo oils to limit Hygral Fatigue; over Fatty Acid oils (as we have come to know ceramide oils to be) which, in relation to Hygral Fatigue, are more suited for sealing to block out excess moisture (to avoid swelling and shrinking once hair is dry and styled).

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Pre-poo... Whatever you use... Helps with stripping caused by shampoos. It's a pre-shampoo treatment. Some like oil, some like conditioner, while others like both. Some people even pre-poo with AVJ or AVG. Its all about preference and what works for your hair.

Really? I didn't know you could prepoo with con or AVJ? I'm learning something everyday. How do you use the AVJ if you don't mind me asking? Do you mix it with something? Thanks girly.

HPG

DominicanBrazilian82

Really? I didn't know you could prepoo with con or AVJ? I'm learning something everyday. How do you use the AVJ if you don't mind me asking? Do you mix it with something? Thanks girly.

HPG

HairPleezeGrow I've never use the juice, but I use the gel when I'm deep in my stretch on my new growth and scalp. I believe there is a recipe posted up thread from MileHighDiva via Chicoro that includes AVJ.

I always use oil and conditioner to pre-poo. I sometimes even steam with it. My normal routine is to do it on dry hair, do some cleaning or cooking and then wash. I even overnight pre-poo too.

Last edited:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I pre-poo with deep conditioner because my hair takes a long time to absorb anything, even with heat; so I usually deep overnight. I love avocado , so I'm going to try adding that to my conditioner prepoo.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm doing an overnight with Darcy's Pumpkin Seed, Honey and Grapeseed Oil. We shall see how it goes.

ETA: I forgot that I was going to use Avocado oil. I guess I'll try that next time.

Last edited:

GreenBloodyShoe

2. Answer the following questions to join:

a) Current Hair Length- shoulder/collarbone length

b) Relaxed/Texlaxed/Natural/Transitioning- mostly natural with a few relaxed ends so still transitioning.

c) Pre-poo Process/Products- scalp and hair massage with warm hazelnut oil

d) End-of-Year Goal Length- Armpit Length

e) Pre-poo Frequency? (1/week, 2/month, etc)- Every other day

e) Most Recent Length Check Pic- haven't straightened my hair yet and won't until December/January for my first length check.

3. Post your process each pre-poo session: Heat up hazelnut oil in the microwave and massage scalp with it. Then oil the rest of the hair, put hair in a bun and then put on a shower cap.

Other oils I'm interested in trying:
Pistachio oil
Pumpkin Seed oil
Kukui Nut oil
Raspberry seed oil
:yep:

Last edited:

Lita

Doing a pre with komaza honycomb rejuvenater treatment spray.. Will rinse with herbal Essence (come clean) conditioner,HH Pink grapefruit dc,rinse with as I am coconut leave-in,Naturalle grow silky leave-in,Eden body works coconut curl cream moisturize & seale with Hibicus oil.

Happy Hair Growing!

mshoneyfly

I would like to join!! :)

I am texturized with bone streight ends. My longest layer is past SL but my bangs are just below my lips. I prepoo once a week on dry hair for at least 30 mins usually with heat.

I use Hair Trigger on the scalp and wheat germ or coconut oil on the length. After applying, I massage my scalp for 10 minutes.

When I need protein I sometimes use one of the Nubian Heritage masques or the Shea Moisture Yucca & Aloe Masque.

In the next five months, I want the front half of hair to reach full SL for a fuller look.

I did these pics about two days ago:

image-3112122790.jpg

image-3873246344.jpg

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
narsinthemorning, what is the benefit of hazelnut oil re: hair health? Too lazy/tired to Google right now...

Also, what is the benefit of those other oils you listed as wanting to try? TIA

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Currently pre-pooing with a sample dc I received. I sealed it with a mixture of the following oils: olive, avocado, grapeseed, and jojoba. All of this was supposed to happen yesterday, but the lazy bug bit me repeatedly yesterday.:yep:

GreenBloodyShoe

narsinthemorning, what is the benefit of hazelnut oil re: hair health? Too lazy/tired to Google right now...

Also, what is the benefit of those other oils you listed as wanting to try? TIA

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Hazelnut oil is readily absorbed into the cortex of the hair just like coconut oil. It is a light astringent oil and will not break you out if you have acne prone skin. It will not leave your hair feeling ultra greasy or weighed down either. It is high in oleic acid and mono saturated fats which are good for moisturizing the hair and promoting hair growth. Massaging the scalp with oil promotes faster hair growth.

Kukui nut oil, raspberry seed oil, pumpkin seed oil and pistachio oil are also easily absorbed into the hair cortex as they are light oils. I always try to pick oils that can actually be absorbed by the hair and promote hair growth when massaged into the scalp a few times a week before I shampoo.

Last edited:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
pre poo tonight with Nature's Advantage Honey Almond conditioner and some wheat germ oil. I may change my mind at the last minute and use coconut oil. I need to hit up the Indian store for a large container of the parachute coconut oil