Pre Relaxer Treatment (Affirm Protecto : Design Essentials Protect)

senimoni

Has anyone ever had this used on them or something similar. My impression is that you put it on the relaxed hair to keep it from overprocessing (Design Essentials)...even though I don't know how you could do that without it getting on the newgrowth.

The Affirm Protecto....I'm not sure if this one is protection against overprocessing relaxed hair b/c it states to put it on the whole shaft....but its doing something to protect the hair.

Affirm® Protecto

A patented organic BiocompHlex, applied along the entire hairshaft, especially to new growth area, prior to relaxing.

Rich, positively-charged compounds attach electronically to negative sites along the hairshaft.

Penetrates deep within the hair fiber during relaxing. (Protector® accomplishes significant conditioning at this stage because during the straightening process, the hair's pH is relatively high (13.0-13.5) and the cuticles are open wide).

Effectively repairs trichorrhexis nodosa (damaged areas along the hairshaft), resulting in a smooth realignment of damaged fibers. Flyaway split ends are repaired as well.

Eases wet combing and minimizes shedding.
Design Essentials
Protect + Pre-Chemical Treatment
Description
Protect + Pre-Chemical Treatment is a rich blend of electronically charged polymers and conditioners designed to lay a protective coat on the hair to shield it against damage that occurs during chemical applications. It insures control against overlapping therefore leaving the hair in a healthier and more conditioned state.

myco

I've used the Affirm Protecto. Vitale also makes something similar. I just pour some out in my hands and apply it to different sections starting from the ends. I stop right before I get to the newgrowth. Some ladies on the board like to apply neutralizing shampoo on the previously relaxed hair also.

Last edited:

cece22

myco said:
I use the Affirm Protecto. Vitale also makes something similar. I just pour some out in my hands and apply it to different sections starting from the ends. I stop right before I get to the newgrowth. Some ladies on the board like to apply neutralizing shampoo on the previously relaxed hair also.

Myco,

Tell me more about this protectant that Vitale makes I would like to know. The product junkie in me is coming out.

Avaya

Good post, I meant to ask more about these two products also as some of the ladies recommended them to me when I was asking for ways to protect my edges from overprocessing.

BUMPING for more responses.

myco

cece22 said:
Myco,

Tell me more about this protectant that Vitale makes I would like to know. The product junkie in me is coming out.

It comes in the Mo' Body Sensitive Scalp relaxer kit. I can't remember the exact name, but I've never seen it sold seperately. The consistency is much thicker than the Protecto. It reminds me of clear glue.

I'll look for the bottle when I get home edit this with more info.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I have a sample sizes of the protecto, but never used it. I will try next time (if I don't use Phyto relaxer). I think this is a great way to protect your hair from over processing.

I have reas that Queen Helene is another product that is good to use prior to relaxing.

senimoni

I'm curious as to why more beauticians don't use it.....then again I shouldn't be!!

Myco - So you don't use it on the new growth....that was confusing me in the description. Not sure of the consistency but you don't find this getting on your new growth from the relaxed hair above it? ( hope that makes sense)

myco

senimoni said:
I'm curious as to why more beauticians don't use it.....then again I shouldn't be!!

Myco - So you don't use it on the new growth....that was confusing me in the description. Not sure of the consistency but you don't find this getting on your new growth from the relaxed hair above it? ( hope that makes sense)

I don't use it on the newgrowth because the product is designed to inhibit/stop processing to my understanding. So if you get it on your newgrowth, you'll end up with underprocessed or inconsistently processed hair.

I think if you comb it through, you risk getting it on the newgrowth of the hair below. It's not a perfect process, but parting the hair in sections and pinning them up away from each other also helps.

senimoni

myco said:
I don't use it on the newgrowth because the product is designed to inhibit/stop processing to my understanding. So if you get it on your newgrowth, you'll end up with underprocessed or inconsistently processed hair.

I think if you comb it through, you risk getting it on the newgrowth of the hair below. It's not a perfect process, but parting the hair in sections and pinning them up away from each other also helps.

I get what you are saying thats why I was confused b/c the directions say to put it on your relaxed hair.

Affirm® Protecto

A patented organic BiocompHlex, applied along the entire hairshaft, especially to new growth area, prior to relaxing.

Rich, positively-charged compounds attach electronically to negative sites along the hairshaft.

Penetrates deep within the hair fiber during relaxing. (Protector® accomplishes significant conditioning at this stage because during the straightening process, the hair's pH is relatively high (13.0-13.5) and the cuticles are open wide).

Effectively repairs trichorrhexis nodosa (damaged areas along the hairshaft), resulting in a smooth realignment of damaged fibers. Flyaway split ends are repaired as well.

Eases wet combing and minimizes shedding.