Pre-shampoo oil treatments: On wet or dry hair?

I've been doing it on dry hair before but think I read once here that someone did it on wet hair. I read the back of a VO5 Hot Oil pack today and it said to heat and use on wet hair before shampooing.

Is that how pre-shampoo hot/warm oil treatments work best? on wet hair? Does it penetrate better on wet instead of dry hair?

Let me know gals
Thanks.

daviine

I've always done it on dry hair but I was wondering if applying it on wet hair simulates a "steam treatment" to a lesser degree. Put a plastic cap over your wet hair and sit under a dryer or a heating cap? I don't know.

Peachtree

Hi brownrelaxedhair,
I've been questioning this since Sept. I've tried it on both dry & wet hair, & to be quite honest, I've recvd the same results both ways. However, I must add I use extra virgin olive oil... a classmate (& kitchen-tician
) told me that if I use VO5 or another brand specifically for the hair, I would be able to notice the difference....if used on wet hair. She further explained to me that the hot oil will penetrate the (wet) hair shaft & act as a sealant to lock in the moisture. But then I thought, well it seems like the water would "block" the oil from penetrating...
... I don't know. But I'm gonna purchase some VO5 & see for my self...

Islandgirl

I always do my hot oil treatments on wet hair. It allows the oil to be absorbed in your hair strands better ( i read that somewhere). Besides water is always a good thang.

Integrity

when i do hot oil treatments i always do a conditioner wash before with pantene smooth and sleek, squeeze off excess water till my hair is damp and then apply the oil to sections (EVOO). after a few hours or overnite, i wash thru with shampoo. i believe damp or wet is better (not too wet or the oil gets repelled) for locking in moisture.