Preparing Hair For Braids

syze6

Hey ladies, so I'm getting individual braids tomorrow. For you ladies who have worn braids, any tips? What do you do to your hair to prepare it for hair braiding. Should I wash and give my hair a good deep conditioning?

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Yes. Wash and deep condition … and do a GOOD detangling session and keep your hair stretched (if you are natural).

Most hair braiders in my experience do not care about the health of your hair.

syze6

Thanks. I will wash and deep condition adding oil and blow dry it out. My hair is bra length so I want to make sure it is smooth and tangle free. I choose the individuals over the cornrows. I find with longer hair the ends get tangled as they braid in cornrows. Most don't take the time to carefully separate the hair as they go. I work out so much and sweat so much, I just want something low maintenance I can still style.

Black Ambrosia

Thanks. I will wash and deep condition adding oil and blow dry it out. My hair is bra length so I want to make sure it is smooth and tangle free. I choose the individuals over the cornrows. I find with longer hair the ends get tangled as they braid in cornrows. Most don't take the time to carefully separate the hair as they go. I work out so much and sweat so much, I just want something low maintenance I can still style.
Make sure they don’t use glue. Some branders do this on the ends to keep them from unraveling or to look neat in general. When you have long hair your hair tends to be close to the end of the braid length unless you’re rocking extra long Formation length braids. The glue travels some and can definitely make contact with your hair. I wore braids for a long time and experienced this.

syze6

Make sure they don’t use glue. Some branders do this on the ends to keep them from unraveling or to look neat in general. When you have long hair your hair tends to be close to the end of the braid length unless you’re rocking extra long Formation length braids. The glue travels some and can definitely make contact with your hair. I wore braids for a long time and experienced this.

What else do they use besides the glue?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Yup, and don't let them snip stray hairs off the side of the braid for neatness, your hair poking out will also get sniped. Don't let them use a lighter going up each braid for "neatness", your hair will burn. I know a lady who's hair caught fire. Additionally, don't let them dip hair too far down in hot water if used. Your hair will boil.

Lute

I totally agree with the ladies above and a good blow out. If your hair isn't detangled well. The braiders will attack you with the yellow bird with toothed comb and you'll see pieces of your ends floating in the air.

And at that point you will sit down in your chair having a moment of regret *sigh*

Do you guys ever do a light flat iron to make sure that the hair is straight enough for them to braid the hair?

Black Ambrosia

Your hair really doesn’t need to be straight. It just needs to be thoroughly detangled. If you can comb through your hair from the root to the ends without any snagging then you should be fine. Just remember they won’t be using wide tooth combs on your hair. They use fine tooth combs so they’ll catch anything that’s tangled and it’ll snap.

King of Sorrow

@syze6 did you get your hair braided? One thing I would advise, if you can, buy the hair ahead of time and do some kind of a soak to ger rid of the film. People swear by a vinegar rinse. Never tried it. I recently got my hair braided and the itch was no joke. Broke me out all across my hairline and at the parts :cry3:

Do you guys ever do a light flat iron to make sure that the hair is straight enough for them to braid the hair?

Nah. Braids were created by 4a-4z haired women who did not have the benefits of electricity, let alone a flat iron. The only reason to blow out your hair is to minimize tangles and prevent a hurried braider from ripping through your hair.

You should not sit in the sit chair of anyone who needs your hair straighter than that.

Lute

You should not sit in the sit chair of anyone who needs your hair straighter than that.

I agree. I simple blowout should do. I need to look for a new braider in the nyc area. I was planning to go to that is like 2 blocks away. But I don't like how they treat my hair. No matter how much I blow it out.. it's not enough for them.

syze6

I got my hair braided and I love them. She took her time to make sure they were neat. I gave myself a good deep conditioner with olive oil added. I blow dried it and my hair felt moisturizer and coated. It took so long but I commend those women who braid for hours. My hair hits the bottom on my bra, so it took a while. She didn't braid really tight but I haven't slept good yet. I told hubby Imgoing to be like Frankenstein and sleep standing up.:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

syze6

Update....my head itches so bad, I want to rip these braids from my scalp one by one. It just started yesterday and it's weird. When I first got them done there was no itching. Man... I have been scratching so my scalp is on fire! What makes braids itch. I'm hoping I can last, I really like them. But... ill take these suckers out so fast!

VictoriousBrownFlower

Update....my head itches so bad, I want to rip these braids from my scalp one by one. It just started yesterday and it's weird. When I first got them done there was no itching. Man... I have been scratching so my scalp is on fire! What makes braids itch. I'm hoping I can last, I really like them. But... ill take these suckers out so fast!
Just wash them concentrating especially on the scalp. If you want to make sure the itch is gone do an acv rinse focusing on the scalp with either an applicator bottle or spray bottle. One part vinegar to one part water or 1/3 vinegar to 2 parts water depending on how dry your hair naturally is (less vinegar to water the dryer it is).

King of Sorrow

:(

Wash them ASAP. There's some sort of chemical film from the processing of the extensions that irritates the skin. Don't hold out because of the style.

I, too, tried to hold out but began worrying that would I forget to pat my scalp to relieve the pain and scratch it instead, causing some tiny tear in the skin that would act as an entry point for an infection.

Forget a setback. I was potentially putting my health at risk for a hairstyle. Not to mention I have a friend to whom this happened. I'll spare you the gruesome details and only say it was not a pretty sight and two years later the resulting bald spot still hasn't fully filled in.

Wash your hair. I ended up with a lot of bumps around my edges and at the parts. It was kind of scary but they've faded.

We black women need to demand better from these manufacturers. I was ignorant of this until it happened to me and saw on YouTube how common it is. How is it ok that we allow them to package and sell us a product coated with a skin irritant?

syze6

:(

Wash them ASAP. There's some sort of chemical film from the processing of the extensions that irritates the skin. Don't hold out because of the style.

I, too, tried to hold out but began worrying that would I forget to pat my scalp to relieve the pain and scratch it instead, causing some tiny tear in the skin that would act as an entry point for an infection.

Forget a setback. I was potentially putting my health at risk for a hairstyle. Not to mention I have a friend to whom this happened. I'll spare you the gruesome details and only say it was not a pretty sight and two years later the resulting bald spot still hasn't fully filled in.

Wash your hair. I ended up with a lot of bumps around my edges and at the parts. It was kind of scary but they've faded.

We black women need to demand better from these manufacturers. I was ignorant of this until it happened to me and saw on YouTube how common it is. How is it ok that we allow them to package and sell us a product coated with a skin irritant?

I'm going to wash it today. I hear neutralizer shampoo works good for the itching. I'm going to tell my braider she needs to treat her hair before applying it. You are so right in demanding more. We are the biggest consumer of the hair and it should be user friendly and not contain chemicals as such. I don't know why it tangles so much but it may be due to the chemical as well.

Sanity

Cosmetologist
As a Braider, I part in subsections and part with my fingers before braiding. Less tangles, less breakage, I do self install twice a year. I don't care about neatness=which causes more breakage. I also treat my clients hair as my own.
Moisturizing and sealing and stretching out the hair beforehand helps.

Chrismiss

Got feed ins this weekend. I really like them but now I need to know about maintenance. So far it looks like I should be oiling the parts and applying mousse to keep the length of them looking neat? Does that sound about right? Oh and keeping the edge intact.

ilong

God's Own
I got braided/twists <lol> with the hair twisted into a top bun, on Oct. 4th. With the exception of the back nape getting a little loose, my hair looks like it was just done yesterday. I keep my hair tied up while at home, so I believe that's helping to keep the style fresh looking.
I'm using Coconut Oil (edges, scalp and visible hair) Xcel 21 (scalp) and Oil sheen spray (braids and bun)products on the style.

I plan to follow @VictoriousBrownFlower recommendation and do an acv rinse later today. Does the ACV rinse get rid of any build-up?
Just wash them concentrating especially on the scalp. If you want to make sure the itch is gone do an acv rinse focusing on the scalp with either an applicator bottle or spray bottle. One part vinegar to one part water or 1/3 vinegar to 2 parts water depending on how dry your hair naturally is (less vinegar to water the dryer it is).

Any additional tips and recommendations on shampooing/cleansing my hair while in the updo? I have a tall goose neck faucet with an attached powerful sprayer, which I plan to use. Although, I'd like to keep the style until Oct 26th, at which time I plan to have it done (different style) for my trip to Hawaii on Nov. 1st, my 1st priority is ensuring I maintain my hair underneath.

Fine 4s

I plan to get some braids next week so these tips will hep. I remembered rinsing the hair and since a family member will be doing it for me, I doubt she cares if it's not neat which is preferable and I'll look for the BRX braid spray as well.
I'm also thinking that braiding the natural hair and then adding the extensions would prevent contact with the scalp which would get rid of the itchies no?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
This hasn’t made any difference IME. The best prevention to allergy itchiness is rinsing the synthetic hair in ACV (my preference is 3:1 water:ACV) for about 30 minutes. Whether or not you try to offset the synthetic hair from the roots for 1/8”+ or not, the length of the braids are liable to still touch your scalp at the parts.
The only benefit I’ve been able to see in offsetting the synthetic installation has to do with tension or tension-related sensitivity.
HTH!
I'm also thinking that braiding the natural hair and then adding the extensions would prevent contact with the scalp which would get rid of the itchies no?