preserving rollersets

Innocent_Kiss

My roommate rollerset my hair. The results came out SO WELL. I loosley tied a scarf around my edges and the next morning, my hair was a matted mess. She used Organic Root Stimulator Setting lotion to set my hair. Any tips on preserving the style?

imani97

You can pincurl your hair to maintain the curl. I'm not very good at explaining how to do it, but if you do a search for "pincurl" there should be posts with a good explanation and probably a link to someone's fotki. I've also heard of people doing a "mohawk" set, but I've never done that.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Some people swears by pincurling but it doesn;t work for me. I have to set my hair every night. I don't use as many rollers as my intial set but just enought not to look a mess in the moring.

redgirlusa

Hi, I'm new to the board but I've been doing small bantu knots to preserve my roller sets. It comes out with spiral curls when I take them down.:)

Last edited:

LaReyna756

Depending on the length of your hair, you could try pinning it up into an updo. I do this and then do a couple of pincurls at the nape where my hair's a bit shorter.

Isis

redgirlusa said:
Hi, I'm new to the board but I've been doing small bantu knots to preserve my roller sets. It comes out with spiral curls when I take them down.:)
Welcome Redgirlusa!:) I'll bet the spirals are pretty too. How many do you usually make and are the ends smooth as they were from the rollerset?

PEACHEY

I HAVE BEEN DOING ROLLERSETS FOR THE PAST THREE MONTHS. I TOO DO NOT HAVE SUCCESS WITH PRESERVING THE SET WITH OUT ROLLING IT UP. I ROLL MY HAIR EVERY NIGHT WITH THE SPONGE ROLLERS THAT HAVE THE SATIN COVER ON THEM. I DO NOT USE ANY PATICULAR AMOUNT OF ROLLERS NOR DO I PAY TOO MUCH ATTENTION ON HOW I ROLL IT BECAUSE DUE TO THE WET SET THE CURLS FALL RIGHT IN PLACE WHEN I TAKE THE SPONGE ROLLERS OUT ANYWAY (I JUST ROLL IT TO MAINTAIN).

NOW IN THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK (WHEN MY ROLLERSET CURLS ARE STILL TIGHT AT THE TOP) I DO THE MOHAWK BY ROLLING THE SIDES AND BACK ONLY (THE PART OF THE HEAD THAT IS MUSHED BY THE PILLOW)

NOW AS FAR AS CORRECTING WHAT YOU HAVE DONE (MESSED UP THE SET) YOU CAN GET SOME S-CURL (OR YOUR FAVORITE CREAM MOISTURIZER) AND PLACE IT ON EACH CURL SECTION THEN SEAL IT WITH A LIGHT OIL (I USE EVOO) AND ROLL IT UP USING THE SPONGE ROLLERS (ANY ROLLER WILL DUE). LET IT SET (NO HEAT) AND YOUR SET WILL BE BACK AND YOU WILL ALSO SEE AND FEEL THE MOISTURE AND SOFTNESS AS WELL. I DO THIS MID WEEK WHEN MY SET IS LOOKING TIRED. AND I TELL YOU KNOW LIE MOST OF MY CO-WORKERS THINK I WASHED AND RE-SET MY HAIR. IT BE LOOKING THAT FRESH.

:)
redgirlusa said:

That is a interesting idea RedGirlUSA I am going to try it. BTY welcome!:)

redgirlusa

Thanks for welcoming me. :) I also put QP mango butter on my ends before the bantu knots to keep my ends looking good. If I want tight curls I make a lot of small knots but If I want looser ones I'll do atleast 8-10 knots...and finger comb when I take them out. Oh, and I spray a glosser on to help keep my hair soft and shiny. Let me know how the knots work for you.

RZILYNT

I love the bantu knots. I have not tried them after a roller set though. I air dry my hair, knot it that night and the next morning I have beautiful spirals. This is a great technique.:yep:
However, Blackbarbie and Glamourgirl both use a few flexirods to keep their rollerset fresh.

RZ~

Isis

redgirlusa said:
Thanks for welcoming me. :) I also put QP mango butter on my ends before the bantu knots to keep my ends looking good. If I want tight curls I make a lot of small knots but If I want looser ones I'll do atleast 8-10 knots...and finger comb when I take them out. Oh, and I spray a glosser on to help keep my hair soft and shiny. Let me know how the knots work for you.
Thank you for the explanation--sounds so pretty! I'll be sure to let you know when I do my first bantu knots. :yep:

pmichael52172

I can't sleep with rollers on my sides so I usually just put on a bonnet and hope for the best in the morning.

In the morning, I loosen the spirals as I moisturize them and whatever doesn't come out right I either:
1- tuck one side behind my ear for a cute look
2- do a loose pin up in the back with a few "surviving"
curls hanging, or
3- I revive the random curls with a Caruso steam roller in
and voila, they're all back to normal. The Steam rollers
are a MAJOR staple for me.

My hair is just shoulder length, so putting the hair up at night and letting it out in the morning will ruin my hairdo- unlike those with long hair.