Pressing Comb Results

pet

Hello Everyone!

Below are my results from pressing my hair with a hot comb. I have been skeptical about using a hot comb in the past because I didn't want to burn my hair, but with practice with different flat irons, I got up the nerve to use a hot comb. Plus, my hair is use to a hot comb since that's what my mom used for the past 13 years.

I suggest for those who presses their hair regularly, the hot comb can get hair straighter than a flat iron. I posted pictures of my miniglide results about 4 weeks ago, and it came out ok, but within a couple of days my hair started to get frizzy, and I hated that! When my mom presses my hair with a hot comb, it never gets frizzy, and stays straight until I wash it again. I don't wash my hair every week, so getting my hair as straight as I can get is the best for me. For those who wash their hair frequently, or do not press their hair that often, I would suggest a flat iron.

Anyway, I have some issues that I believe some of you will be able to help me!

1. The left side of my hair is a little bit longer, thicker, and healthier (I think) than the right side of my hair. I have tried doing a good trim to even both sides, but it grew back the same...lol Any suggestions?

2. The right side of my hair (the temple) area is thinner than the left, due to me wrapping my hair to the left for many years (I didn't know any better then), and now I wrap every other direction every night, but that side doesn't seem to be thickening up. Any suggestions?

For those who want my regime:

1. Wash hair with Creme of Nature Shampoo (any one)
2. Condition with Queen Helene, or Salerm 21 (when I'm in a rush)
3. Air Dry with a little bit of Olive Oil (ORS), Fantasia IC (Heat Protectant) and Dudleys Pressing Creme
4. Braid up for the next day
5. Press with Dudley's Pressing Creme
6. Grease with Africa's Bets Horsetail & Rosemary Har Vitalizer (which doesn't have any petrolatum or mineral oil) and seal with BB Carrot Oil Hair Strengthener.

Attachments

• P6290418[2].jpg
    P6290418[2].jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 206
  • P6290420[2].jpg
    P6290420[2].jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 251
  • P6290422[2].jpg
    P6290422[2].jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 232
  • P6290423[2].jpg
    P6290423[2].jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 215

PinkSkates

Your hair looks very pretty.:) I was beginning to think I was the only one here who presses her hair with a hot comb. My pressed hair will stay straight until I shampoo also. Keep up the good work.​

Last edited:

pet

Thanks for the encouragement girls!

Meecee - I press every two weeks in the summer, and every three weeks every other season.

ctcks

QUESTION: What pressing comb brand do you use? 100% brass? Kentucky Maid, Kizure, electric (plug-in), Diane's? And then, what size? For coarse hair (wider teeth) or for fine hair (narrower teeth). Any details would be helpful because I've noticed some combs give a better press than others. Maybe it's the technique but maybe it's the comb itself, too.

pet

Ctks: Well, honestly I can't tell you what brand I used! Lol...these are my Mom's pressing combs, and she's had them way before I was born! She bought them in Barbados way back when she started to press her own hair. So they are at least 30 years old. They are not electric, you heat them on the stove, or in one of those mini stoves that are sold in the hair store to heat pressing combs (what I have). The combs have narrow teeth, and I recommend if you want a very good press, use a small comb because the heat gets through the hair better. I believe the more broken in the comb, the better the press.

Dare~to~Dream

Good results! :) I prefer the pressing comb over the flat iron as well. However, I did try to use a cheap flat iron (not so good results). In my experience, the pressing comb always yield great results, esp. if I let someone else do it (my mother for example) but I can get a good press myself (coconut oil is key for me). I have not pressed my hair in almost two years though so I'm trying to let someone else (a person whom I can trust) press it for me.

Braided~Beauty

Very pretty, I like it :)

I used to press my hair with a hot comb when I was younger, but it never came out looking that nice :perplexed
Nowadays I just stick with my CHI

bee

How do you keep it so straight between washes? I just started pressing my daughter's hair and the day after, it was poofy and frizzy (Darn the humidity!). Do you use a type of grease or something?

PinkSkates

Originally posted by bee
How do you keep it so straight between washes? I just started pressing my daughter's hair and the day after, it was poofy and frizzy (Darn the humidity!). Do you use a type of grease or something?

I don't know about the OP, but my press stays straight because of the Aveda products I use and I keep my hair off of my skin when I'm active, i.e. skating and working out. And wrapping it at night keeps my ends flat and smooth.

pet

bee said:

I use Dudley's Creme Press for pressing (Ultra Sheen Creme Press is also good), and then I just oil once a week after that. I agree with pinkskates that wrapping the hair at night does keep it smooth and flat. Also, if you just started pressing your daughter's hair, her hair is probably not used to being pressed yet! Give it a couple of presses. Also, when you press, make sure you use the BACK of the pressing comb...it really makes all of the difference.

ClassicBeauty

I personally can't get with the grease, but your hair looks very pretty. I use a flat iron because I haven't mastered the comb yet, and the flat iron is almost fool proof. Maybe you can give tips for the comb. Your hair is very straight and pretty.

bee

Thank you ladies, for your responses about the grease to use. I was trying to keep products out of her hair but when I pressed it I knew I had to use something. I remember when I was younger, my mom used some kind of dark, pink hair grease for pressing my hair.
I'll start with using coconut since I have it in the house.
Thanks, again!

Blackoutzangel05

Nice job! My hair dresser used a hot comb on my hair for 2 years when I was natural before and my hair grew irregardless..it wasn't until I went to get a perm and then stopped taking care of my hair that it had to be cut. I got it pressed every Saturday....I love hot combs, the ones on the stove and not electric, vs. flat irons and electric hot combs anyday!

Your hair is nice and shiny by the way...great job!