Pretty Semi-Protective Style

hennagirl

I flat-ironed, oiled and put my APL hair in three pincurls under a silkscarf. This morning, I brushed out the pincurls and my hair was very curly and shiny. I used two bobby pins - one for each side. I secured each side with one bobby pin in the middle and I had a cascade of shiny bouncy curls. It is a pretty style because the front and sides are straight and shiny due to the flat-ironing and oil. The protective benefit is very little manipulation and the ends are somewhat protected because of the curls. I am going to push back a wash and wear this style a few extra days to get the benefit of my Indian oils throughout my hair. You ladies probably already do this, but it was interesting to me.

I am glad that you found my silk wrap thread interesting.

Dee-Licious

Happy it worked for you!!

Can you tell me more about your pinculs. For instance you parted from here to here then took the hair from the (ends or root???) rolled it towards the front or back or the head??

This pincurling thing is just not working for me yet... I need more details

jrae

MsDee4 said:
Happy it worked for you!!

Can you tell me more about your pinculs. For instance you parted from here to here then took the hair from the (ends or root???) rolled it towards the front or back or the head??

This pincurling thing is just not working for me yet... I need more details
Yeah... ^^^^what she said! :p My pincurls came out flat and frizzy if that makes sense. Help please!

Isis

Congratulations Hennagirl! I too love pin curls--they are so easy to do , easy to sleep on and as you mentioned, can be a protective style as rollersets are.:)

hennagirl

I am sorry it took so long to answer your questions. I do not always get a chance to read LHCF everyday. I don't like to sleep in curlers and I like to use as little heat on my hair as possible so pincurls was a perfect solution for me. I did a lot of research and even ordered two 1956 haircare magazines from Ebay to understand how to pincurl most effectively. I learned that to get the best curl it was important to prepare the hair properly and use good technique.

Preparation was described as clean damp hair with some sort of setting lotion. I substituted setting lotion for Silicon Mix Leave-In mixed with water.

Technique It is important the ends are tucked under properly or the curl/wave will be not come out right. There are two ways to do a pincurl.
  1. Tighter curl - This one done properly looks like you used a curler. Take a section of hair, if you are right-handed use your right hand and place the section over the top of your left index finger and wind the hair around your left index finger to the end. Take right hand and ease the curled hair off your index finger being careful to maintain the curl and keep the ends hidden, take the curl and decide which way to point it (toward face or toward back) in the direction you want it to curl, take one bobby pin and secure it. Let dry, I usually sleep in them. The pincurls I did for this style were three big at my nape using this method.
  2. Loose curl wave - This one done properly will result in the waves you see on the 50's moviestars. Take section of hair in right hand, take left index and middle fingers and place them on your head, wrap hair around them once, then remove fingers and wind rest of hair in a circular fashion being sure to tuck ends under. This done properly and it does take practice will result in waves.
If my explanation was not good, I will try again. HTH

Dee-Licious

hennagirl said:
Technique It is important the ends are tucked under properly or the curl/wave will be not come out right. There are two ways to do a pincurl.

Loose curl wave - This one done properly will result in the waves you see on the 50's moviestars. Take section of hair in right hand, take left index and middle fingers and place them on your head, wrap hair around them once, then remove fingers and wind rest of hair in a circular fashion being sure to tuck ends under. This done properly and it does take practice will result in waves.

Thanks girl!!! :kiss: With this 2nd option I'm not clear if you are starting from the ends or from the roots... Can you explain this one a little more . thanks!!

hennagirl

MsDee4 said:
Thanks girl!!! :kiss: With this 2nd option I'm not clear if you are starting from the ends or from the roots... Can you explain this one a little more . thanks!!

I am starting from the roots. The two fingers gives the curl a larger diameter hence the wave not the curl. Remember to tuck the ends under the curl or it ruins the shape of the wave. I do not know why. HTH and I will try again if I am still not clear.

Dee-Licious

hennagirl said:
I am starting from the roots. The two fingers gives the curl a larger diameter hence the wave not the curl. Remember to tuck the ends under the curl or it ruins the shape of the wave. I do not know why. HTH and I will try again if I am still not clear.

One last question... to you roll toward your face or toward the back of your head... does it depend on the left or right side of your head?

hennagirl

MsDee4 said:
One last question... to you roll toward your face or toward the back of your head... does it depend on the left or right side of your head?

It depends on which way I want the curls or waves to go, if I want to go toward my face I position the pincurl toward my face and vice-versa if I want the curls to go away from my face.

Dee-Licious

hennagirl said:
It depends on which way I want the curls or waves to go, if I want to go toward my face I position the pincurl toward my face and vice-versa if I want the curls to go away from my face.

Thanks tons!!! I'm sooooo trying this! One last question :lol: you say you did 3.. so which direction would you do the one in the middle or does it even matter?

***I'm asking questions here instead of PM in hopes that someone else can benefit from this wonderful knowledge

hennagirl

MsDee4 said:
Thanks tons!!! I'm sooooo trying this! One last question :lol: you say you did 3.. so which direction would you do the one in the middle or does it even matter?

***I'm asking questions here instead of PM in hopes that someone else can benefit from this wonderful knowledge

If I do three big ones, I do the one in the middle to the right (toward my face because it is easier). I have spent a lot of time learning to do pincurls because after my research I realized a lot of 50's styles that looked like they were done with curlers were done with pincurls. Dorothy Dandridges styles are a good example.

Isis

hennagirl said:
If I do three big ones, I do the one in the middle to the right (toward my face because it is easier). I have spent a lot of time learning to do pincurls because after my research I realized a lot of 50's styles that looked like they were done with curlers were done with pincurls. Dorothy Dandridges styles are a good example.
Thanks for sharing both styles. :)
Is the second option like making a bantu knot? If not, how is it different?

hennagirl

Isis said:
Thanks for sharing both styles. :)
Is the second option like making a bantu knot? If not, how is it different?

That is a good question, Isis, because it is absolutely different than a Bantu knot as I understand Bantu knota. I understand a Bantu knot to be a raised section of hair around which hair is curled. If I am right a pincurl is nothing like that because the type of pincurls I am speaking of must always be FLAT. The hair is wound around the two fingers, the fingers are removed and the hair continues to be wound flat to the head.

NOTE: There are two other types of pincurls from the 50"s that I am trying to master that are not flat. I will post about them once I have mastered them and can give an intelligent description based on my own experience.

HTH and I will be happy to answer anything else if I haven't been clear.

Isis

hennagirl said:
That is a good question, Isis, because it is absolutely different than a Bantu knot as I understand Bantu knota. I understand a Bantu knot to be a raised section of hair around which hair is curled. If I am right a pincurl is nothing like that because the type of pincurls I am speaking of must always be FLAT. The hair is wound around the two fingers, the fingers are removed and the hair continues to be wound flat to the head.

NOTE: There are two other types of pincurls from the 50"s that I am trying to master that are not flat. I will post about them once I have mastered them and can give an intelligent description based on my own experience.

HTH and I will be happy to answer anything else if I haven't been clear.
Thank you Hennagirl. :) I can do regular flat pincurls easily but I'm going to attempt the 2nd one you posted for waves. That sounds intriguing.