Preventing relaxer burns

ajoyfuljoy

Allright, so I relaxed my hair this weekend. It turned out great...except that I kind of burned my scalp a little (ouch!) No sores or anything (like I used to get when OTHER TRAINED people did my relaxers, one time I had large groups of my hair stuck to my scalp for like a week, never again!) but I can tell that my scalp isn't that happy right now :sad: I'm gonna neutralize again tonight, DC and massage my scalp with olive oil (I've been doing this the past two days).

I've always been a burner. But I burn less when I've done my own hair. This is my fourth time relaxing my own hair and I burned the most this time. I know I will get better the more I do it and I'm determined to get this down pat!

But I'm just looking for general tips on how to prevent relaxer burns and treat the scalp, pre and post relaxer.

ajoyfuljoy

Does Mizani Butter Blend get course hair straight or is it more of a texlaxer? I've been using Soft n Beautiful for the last couple of years. I was contemplating switching relaxers this next go around.

I've got little 4a coils all over.

Allandra

Does Mizani Butter Blend get course hair straight or is it more of a texlaxer? I've been using Soft n Beautiful for the last couple of years. I was contemplating switching relaxers this next go around.

I've got little 4a coils all over.
Mizani Butter Blend come in 3 strengths: Fine, Medium/Normal and Coarse/Resistant. It's a relaxer. Modifying the time it remains in the hair should give you the desired straightening you're looking for.

ajoyfuljoy

Thanks Allandra for your advice.

I know that I tried ORS relaxer before and I left it in for the maximum time and it didn't get my hair straight at all, only texlaxed it.

That's why I'm always hesistant to switch relaxers b/c I don't want that to happen again.

But I will look into this Mizani butter blend :yep:

Lady Esquire

I base with Summit Sensitive Scalp Base Creme. It is very cheap...like 14 oz. jar for about 5 bucks. Bought it approx. 3 or 4 years ago and barely used half the jar.

Part hair is the smallest sections, and try to cover as much scalp area as possible. I base the night before, and then again the day of the relaxer.

I also sit under a cool dryer prior to applying relaxer to close pores.

ajoyfuljoy

I base with Summit Sensitive Scalp Base Creme. It is very cheap...like 14 oz. jar for about 5 bucks. Bought it approx. 3 or 4 years ago and barely used half the jar.

Part hair is the smallest sections, and try to cover as much scalp area as possible. I base the night before, and then again the day of the relaxer.

I like your cool dryer tip. I use this base by Optimum Care that comes in a squirt bottle. But I like the idea of the Sensitive Scalp Base. I will write that down.

Allandra

Thanks Allandra for your advice.

I know that I tried ORS relaxer before and I left it in for the maximum time and it didn't get my hair straight at all, only texlaxed it.

That's why I'm always hesistant to switch relaxers b/c I don't want that to happen again.

But I will look into this Mizani butter blend :yep:
Does ORS relaxer come in different strengths? Maybe you need to use a different strength? Are you looking for bone straight hair?

ajoyfuljoy

Does ORS relaxer come in different strengths? Maybe you need to use a different strength? Are you looking for bone straight hair?

Yes I am a bone straight girl. I think I used regular, I've always been afraid of super!

It didn't burn my scalp at all, it actually felt like a conditioning treatment. I just remember leaving it on for the maximum amount of time and being like, "That's it ???"

I didn't even know what texlaxing was at that time but I was like upset.

Allandra

Yes I am a bone straight girl. I think I used regular, I've always been afraid of super!

It didn't burn my scalp at all, it actually felt like a conditioning treatment. I just remember leaving it on for the maximum amount of time and being like, "That's it ???"

I didn't even know what texlaxing was at that time but I was like upset.
Since you aren't getting the desired results, maybe you'll have to try another strength or change your technique.

I was never relaxed bone straight.

ajoyfuljoy

Since you aren't getting the desired results, maybe you'll have to try another strength or change your technique.

I was never relaxed bone straight.

Yeah, I'm just not really into texlaxing. I think I will just do some hardcore researching and try a diff. relaxer this time around. Def. will give look more into the Mizani.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

I don't mean to hijack, but how can you do this without getting base on your new growth?

gymfreak336

Don't drink alot of soda or eat spicy foods the week of your touchup. LiLi posted info about this; how what you eat can change the conditions of your scalp before chemical processes. You probably can find it if you search unfer her name. Hopefully she will come in and chime in on this.

ajoyfuljoy

Don't drink alot of soda or eat spicy foods the week of your touchup. LiLi posted info about this; how what you eat can change the conditions of your scalp before chemical processes. You probably can find it if you search unfer her name. Hopefully she will come in and chime in on this.

You know what, there might be something to that. I rarely drink pop and the night (literally hours) before I relaxed I downed two cups!

And two days before I relaxed I was also eating some spicy food, I accidentally bit into a dried hot peper in some shrimp fried rice and my mouth was like :blush:

I don't like spicy food, so these things I ate were a rarity which could account for why I burned more than usual. I'll look more into this!

Mook's hair

I used to use that stuff too. I actually bought it by accident but then I was happy with the product.

Lady Esquire

I don't mean to hijack, but how can you do this without getting base on your new growth?

Very carefully. I wish I had a more technical answer. Perhaps some of the more well-versed ladies will chime in. The Summit Sensitive Scalp Base Creme is light, and I do not apply globs of it, so even if some gets on the NG, I doubt it interferes with relaxer processing....such a potent chemical.

RODI

My scalp is over sensitive. I start to burn immediately. Basing hair with vaseline helps.

But thus far this CB smooth product is my favorite. My Domnician hairdresser uses this as a base and I don't burn. It's a micracle product for me.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] CB Smoothe Cooling Scalp Nutri[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]It surpasses all hot oil treatments you may have used in the past.
This product's superior formula adds body and shine to the hair and
reduces unwanted itching flaking and dryness of the skin and scalp.
GREAT FOR PRE-RELAXED BASES
[/FONT]

gabulldawg

I just got my last relaxer about a week and a half or so ago. It did not burn AT ALL! :blush: I was really surprised and happy because it usually burns bad in the back. I didn't feel a THING. I even asked my stylist if the perm took because I thought that it was SUPPOSED to burn in order to straighten my hair!!

Anyway, I can tell you what I did and I hope it will work for others.

1. I didn't wash my hair for about two weeks before my perm. No shampoo washes, no cowashes, NOTHING. I didn't do this intentionally. My hair appointment was actually pushed back a few extra days because my stylist had a death in her family. It was hard, but I really think that this helped get my hair "dirty" enough for the relaxer.

2. I was REALLY diligent about not scratching my scalp AT ALL. This is usually really hard for me, but I was really extra careful about it. I can remember what it feels like to have relaxer burn and it's not a good feeling. :perplexed

3. Two nights before my relaxer I wet my hair and straightened it with a blowdryer and pic attachment. I mainly did this to help my stylist get through my 3 months of new growth. This also allowed me to base my own scalp for the few days leading up to my relaxer.

4. My stylist also based my entire scalp before applying relaxer.

5. I spoke up this time and requested that my stylist wait until the end to relax my edges. I really think this helped with my scalp not burning, since that's where I usually will start burning first.

Anyway, I know this was a lot, but I hope that it will help someone!!

ajoyfuljoy

Here's some more info

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=213429

Ever since LD posted about this I want to try it for my next relaxer.

I want to see your updates, when are you updating your myspace?

...so LondonDiva recommends Profectiv Root Health. That makes me want to try it to, especially considering that she has always had problems with burning and after using that she doesn't burn anymore.

SelfStyled I'm glad to see you are checking out my page. I'll actually be updating my pics this next weekend!

Last edited: